What does Gold usually come up as on a whites M6?

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The M-6 vdi and MXT vdi are very similar if not exactly the same. I have found small gold chain and bracelets as low as +00 and and as high as +69. It really depends on the purity of the gold and the amount. It shows on the Detector head the scale which is probably the widest spread. Real small rings come in around +10 to +12 and many come in at the pull tab range. I am sorry that there is not a concrete vdi that indicates gold cause if there was we would all be rich probably.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You will often hear it said that "gold is a low conductor" (d/t the alloys put in it to make 10k, 14k, 18k, etc...). Thus, "gold" will read down anywhere around foil, tab, etc... But this fails to take into account the size of the item. This would only be true for coin/ring sized items (of which, admittedly, most gold is found in items of this size, right?). But trust me: A $20 gold piece reads up around zinc or copper penny. And I bet it you had a solid gold bar, as big as a brick, it'd read up at silver dollar :)

An example of this phenomenom is to take a small finger-nail size piece of aluminum can. Wave it in front of a TID detector. What does it read? Probably around foil or nickel, right? Now take a tab, off an aluminum can, and wave it. What does it read? low to mid-range tab, right? Now take an ENTIRE aluminum can and wave it. What does it read? penny/dime or quarter, right? But wait! At no time did the composition ever change. In EACH of those tests, the item was still aluminum, right? Only the size changed. Well, the same concept is true for gold. And unfortunately, gold and aluminum share the same conductivities, per their size.

If anyone tells you they can tell gold from aluminum, based on sounds or tones (softness or roundness of sound) or smears on the XLT bars, or particular TID's, and any other such way to know aluminum vs gold, then do this: Take that person out to the nearest blighted inner city junky park. Turn them loose, and see how much gold they dig, while leaving the aluminum in the ground. I bet they abandon those claims quickly ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread