Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the pennies I find look really eaten up
ea7179b8313a01b238efa6b1c7c52ec7.jpg

What causes this? It seems the newer coins have it more that older... May just be coincidence?

And all of the quarters, dimes and nickels come out reddish
784519d3c3872cbf7a801bb441a59a88.jpg

And what's the cause of this also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cause of it is a horrible decision by the US mint. After 1983 the US penny was changed from a copper alloy to a zinc coin with a thin copper clad shell. Since dis-similar metals become a battery in the presence of an acid or alkaline solution, as soon as the pennies go into the ground or the water, they begin to eat themselves. It happens about 100 times fast in an ocean environment.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is your answer Zink coins Suck And Dissolve Hate those things HH Chug

OP
OP
D

drenalin11

Nov 23, 2016
Greenville, MS
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what make me the nickels, dimes and quarters turn red?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what make me the nickels, dimes and quarters turn red?

Its the reaction between the soil and the copper/nickle mixture used. There are several method to clean them such as a gravel tumbler, scrubbing, chemicals, etc but none of them are really necessary. As long as they are clean of dirt, they'll go through a coin counter just fine. Every time I find a brown coin in my change I always wonder if it was one I put back into circulation, or some other detectorist.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels will go through a chemical reaction when they spend some time in the ground. The coin consists of 75% copper and 25% nickel. The exception is what is often referred to as the "War Nickel " It has a 56% copper, 35% Silver, and 9% maganese composition. Because of the Silver, most of my War Nickels will come out of the ground kind of blackish.
Clad coins started to be minted in 1965. (Silver coinage stopped in 1964) . The outer clad layer of a 1965 to present,, coin consists of a .250% nickel and a .750% copper shell that is bonded to an inner core of pure copper. The chemical reaction that occurs with a buried coin wears the finish layer down. You end up with orange colored nickels, dimes, and quarters.
Now about the clad pennies and the "Eaten" condition they are in when they come out of the ground. These are what we refer to as "Zincolns"
In 1982, the penny composition was changed to a copper shell over a zinc core. The core is .992% zinc. The plating is .008% copper.
Now when a Zincolns come into contact with nitrates,
(as in fertilizer ), or salt, (as in snow melt), the penny decomposes rapidly.

Last edited:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Fun experiment! Scratch a modern penny exposing some zinc. Place that penny in Coke. Place an undamaged penny in another container of coke. Time the reaction.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels will go through a chemical reaction when they spend some time in the ground. The coin consists of 75% copper and 25% nickel. The exception is what is often referred to as the "War Nickel " It has a 56% copper, 35% Silver, and 9% maganese composition. Because of the Silver, most of my War Nickels will come out of the ground kind of blackish.
Clad coins started to be minted in 1965. (Silver coinage stopped in 1964) . The outer clad layer of a 1965 to present,, coin consists of a .250% nickel and a .750% copper shell that is bonded to an inner core of pure copper. The chemical reaction that occurs with a buried coin wears the finish layer down. You end up with orange colored nickels, dimes, and quarters.
Now about the clad pennies and the "Eaten" condition they are in when they come out of the ground. These are what we refer to as "Zincolns"
In 1982, the penny composition was changed to a copper shell over a zinc core. The core is .992% zinc. The plating is .008% copper.
Now when a Zincolns come into contact with nitrates,
(as in fertilizer ), or salt, (as in snow melt), the penny decomposes rapidly.
The only thing I will add is not all coins stopped having Silver the exception was the half dollar 1965 to 1970 were 40% Silver.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver halves, quarters and dimes are still being produced from the US mint since 1992. I've found some in circulation via roll hunting.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In farm fields especially... "fertilizer" is one of the culprits...

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A penny found is a penny earned.:icon_thumleft:
Marvin