What got you into Coin Roll Hunting?? Add your story here!!!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody, I am starting this thread to see how we got into this wonderful hobby? Everybody has a different story, some personal, some not.

I'll start off...
Way back then, I was around 5 years old. My father and I went to a chinese take out restaurant, I always stood on a chair to peek over the high counter to watch the chefs cook, all the fire was quite amusing, the people were always friendly to my family and I. The chair happened to be right over the cash register. The register was opened so I peeked in since the chefs were done their cooking. I noticed a "BEAVER NICKEL" referring to a Canadian Nickel... I must have yelled it to my father a little too loud, and the owner came over and gave me the nickel as well as a few other foreign coins they had in their drawer. I ended up with about 10 coins, a canadian quarter, a hong kong coin and some other asian coins. This got me HOOKED. I still go to this chinese restaurant to this day, all these years, the best food around.

I then showed my grandfather the coins, he then remembered he had a bunch of coins saved from when he was in the Phillipines in WW2, he gave them to me as well as his father's collection from Europe in WW1. This was passed down to me with a decent amount of silver coins which I had not realized the value until around 8 years old. I started CRH'ing since I was 8.

When I was 8, my father took me to the bank, I asked the teller if they had foreign coins, HA. they didn't, but I then asked for 5 rolls of pennies, my father bought them for me, i found 20 wheat pennies, and it all started from there...

Share your story!!
HH,
Buff

p.s. the buffalo nickel from my grandfather really sparked my interest in old american coins, thus my name on here, BuffaloBoy... When I was a boy, the buffalo nickel got me into collecting US coins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I started collecting when I was smaller and I was going to Europe every couple of years. I would pick up guilders, marks, and later euros. 2 years ago, I started really collecting, and learned about CRH through this site.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cousin told me to do this for 2 years. And i did'nt. Then one day i just started and here i am doing it. Having fun and now i have a large pile of silver. Its all good!!!! Its been about 10 months.

GhostCoast

Apr 11, 2012
Gainesville, Fl
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never heard of coin roll hunting, but I've been doing it for a good part of my life. Working in retail, at times I run the cash register, I'll double check to see what coins I'm handing out.... and I always check what coins I'm being given. I'm going to start CRH'ing simply because there is silver out there and it seems pretty simple to find too. Just a game of numbers, and with 3 young daughters interested in money, I've got help.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was watching a video of a guy unboxing a $500 bill he bought on eBay almost two years ago and "Coin Roll Hunting" was a recommended video. Had to try this for myself and Voilà!

smitty58d

Feb 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family had a logging business when I was younger and my Grandpa would pay me 50 cents a day( 50 cent piece). So this is what sparked my intrest in halves but I never really knew about the silver content till about 2 years ago before I deployed to Afghanistan. I bought a few CWR's before I left and found probably a dozen silver coins total. While on deployment my wife sent me a message telling me I needed to watch a movie called Dolphin tale because my 7 year old really wants to see Winter the Dolphin from the movie. So to pay for our trip coming up that we have budgeted out, I figured I would use the silver from CRHing with the family to pay for it.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I have always been into old coins. I studied Economics for my undergrad degree and started learning about monetary policy and realizing there was gold behind the dollar & silver in old money. I have been into treasure hunting, md'ing and minerals all my life, now that I am an adult I have the money to actually get into this.

I started searching my coin op laundry change for a year to find my first silver quarter, found a silver dime at work about six months ago. I realized how valuable diversifying assets with physical precious metals has been since 2008. Bought a metal detector in Jan this year.

At the bank, I found 3 90% and 4 40% halves on March 4th 2012, and the said they would order my first box of halves for me. Found this website when looking up silver coin values for the first time.

Now I do up to $1k a day in CRH and I'm at 45 oz. Looking to upgrade detectors soon and diversify into mining/panning & Indian artifact hunting.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started Metal Detecting in December / January over christmas and new years. Had some warm days and even more cold days, well cold enough you didnt want to be outside detecting. Sitting in the house going stir crazy and thinking about all that treasure burried in the ground just waiting for me to walk over it. What does one do when we have an interest?? we turn to the internet. I found several state metal detecting club forums and one had a sub forum called coin roll hunting.

To pass the time inside during the winter and to stop over useage of the internet I started CRH.

For my efforts I have a small stash of silver coins and have met some unique personalities here on T-nets CRH forum.

Happy Hunting and I hope tomorrow you find the dream box.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I was a young dude about 17, had always liked coins...about 30+ years ago I kept reading about these guys named the Hunts, and how they were trying to accumulate as much pure silver as possible, and silver prices went sky-high (about $150 an oz. when adjusted for today's inflation). I don't remember how or why, as there was no internet back then, but I naturally picked up on roll hunting. Ypu may find this interesting that the take is the same today as it was back then, although the 40% were tossed back.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got into collecting coins and bullion, among other things, with my grandfather back in the early 90's. Coin roll hunting was something that my grandfather was into, but which I didn't have the patience for. I was 10 at the time. Him and I would go to either a coin show, a baseball card show, or a comic convention every weekend driving all over Pennsylvania. I've collected many things over the years, toys, memorabilia, coins, stamps, bottles and cans, etc.

I quit collecting everything when I became a teenager in the late 90's, as hanging out with my friends and chasing skirts became my main focus. Haha.

It wasn't until 2008 when I was two years out of college and hurtin' for money that I went up in my attic and brought down my old collections to liquidate. I liquidated everything but my coins and bullion, silver was super cheap back then so I started to get back into stacking.

Earlier this year I was looking for a way to increase my stack while keeping my DCA low, and so I stumbled onto this forum and back into coins.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been casually collecting coins since I was a kid, whatever I found in change or anything my dad gave to me from his collection. I started to get more serious a few years ago and decided to invest a chunk of cash in silver coinage. I then got into metal detecting based on a book I read, "Urban Treasure Hunter." I became more aware of coins in general, and then found a silver dime in the change jar at home, and also got a silver dime as change for buying a pretzel at the mall. I figured if I could find random dimes here and there, I should go to the bank and buy as many dimes as possible. Also I wanted to find the wisconsin state error coin, so I started buying up quarters from the bank, as many as I could afford at a time. I eventually found one! Anyways, I got into coin roll hunting because it made sense to me. It was only later on that I stumbled across forums and realized that other people do this as well. It's been great to have a support system on here, it has helped me to do more volume, and more importantly kept my head high when I go through big skunk streaks. HH

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Unemployment. I had read a thread on another board that wasn't focused on coins, treasure, etc about a guy who was doing 4 boxes a week and finding no small amount of silver. Figured I had the time and unless the unemployment streak lasted a long time the funds to spare on a temporary basis, so I dived in.

Now I find myself almost as pleased with an Easter egg find as I do silver. I'm not making money I am spending it but I am having a blast doing it.

Rascal

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started investing in silver about a year ago. I then started searching rolls as a way of lowering my DCA. Now I'm into collecting as well. Mostly pennies which I also search for copper. I sell the pennies that I don't need for my Danscos and use the profits to by silver at half price. This weekend I picked up two ounces and I'll put $60 in the bank tommorrow.

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this site last year because I was looking for tips on the "right" metal detector to purchase. I'd never heard of coin roll hunting. but tried because of the many success stories I read here. Now, I figure, why go looking for treasure in public and poor weather conditions when I can find treasure in boxes per week. As an aside, I was a coin collector in my preteen and early teenage years, and I remember how quickly the silver disappeared from circulation in '64. I managed to save rolls of Franklins and dimes. lost interest and got on with my life. My wife organized my collection when we got married. That was 21 years ago, and I'm afraid that the collection has been "organized out of existence." "oh, it's in the storage locker, with the rest of your garbage" says the wife. The most fun in those days was taking my dollar bills (all were silver certificates then), going to the bank and trading them in for silver dollars. They're in the storage locker, too. If I can ever retrieve my collection, I'll post a picture here.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
Ok, I'll bite. I was your typical casual collector since I was a teenager working the register in my family's video store (remember the local ones before Blockbuster drove them all out of business) and that extended into my college job as a bank teller. I would save anything that was old, foreign, or looked cool. My wife, who was also a teller, was the same way. We never looked specifically for silver.

Fast forward to last year when silver prices spiked. Out of curiosity, we went through the old collection to see how much silver we had. In our oddball collection of bicentinenials, wheat pennies, and random foreign coins was $5.60 FV of 90% silver coins and 11 40% halves. Not knowing anything about CRH, I shared with my wife the thought that most people didn't know about the 40% halves so there were probably tons of them out there. Little did I know it would lead me to CRH as a hobby and this forum, and a nice little silver hoard after a little less than a year: $44 FV of 90% halves and 226 40% halves, all from CRH.

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a young dude about 17, had always liked coins...about 30+ years ago I kept reading about these guys named the Hunts, and how they were trying to accumulate as much pure silver as possible, and silver prices went sky-high (about $150 an oz. when adjusted for today's inflation). I don't remember how or why, as there was no internet back then, but I naturally picked up on roll hunting. Ypu may find this interesting that the take is the same today as it was back then, although the 40% were tossed back.

Kind of like how copper pennies are looked upon as having no value today? hmmmmm. Wait until a copper penney is worth .25, it's already worth .025 for every .01. History repeats, take advantage. :)

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got into silver bullion years back and was stacking heavily around the $10/oz range. How I didnt stumble across CRH in 2008-2009-2010 is still baffling to me as I was always on the internet reading articles etc. Finally April 2011 I came across a YouTube video of these little fkers screaming SILVER SILVER SILVER while roll hunting and then I looked up the value of junk silver, bought boxes, and was hooked. SILVER SILVER SILVER, yep little turdnugget kids got me hooked on it.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Almost 2 years ago, I was on a $2 bill kick, and stopped in a bank to see if they had any Toms available. "I don't have any two's, but I do have some half dollars" the young teller said.

Thinking halves might be fun to spend, I bought both rolls.

I tore open the first roll to make sure I wasn't being shorted, and saw that they looked different, and that they were older...but had no idea that they were worth more than face.

I went home and started a thread on a non-coin forum, and someone eventually PM'ed me and told me that they were 90% and 40% silver, and directed me to this site "where some guys buy crazy amounts of coin rolls from banks, just to look for old coins".

I was hooked at that point.

That was the only time that I've ever found a solid roll, and I didn't even know what they were!

A few weeks later, even though I hadn't CRH'ed yet, I scored a Peace dollar at my bank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread