What happened to the last dollar?

Hydrantman

Feb 4, 2008
Earth
Three coin collectors are in town for the convention and get a hotel room that cost a total of $30 for the night. Each guy thought it would be fun to pay the bill with 10 silver dollars. The manager was so taken by this that he decided to only charge $25 for the room. He gave the bellhop 5 of the silver dollars back to give back to the guys in the room. On the way up, the bellhop tries to figure out how to divide $5 for 3 people. So he decides to give each guy back $1 and keep $2 for himself.

Now then, this means that after getting a dollar back, each man only paid $9 for the room instaed of $10. So....

$9 x 3 = $27 + $2 (kept by the bellhop) = $29
They each paid $10 up front for a total of $30 for the room. Where did the last dollar go????

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hydrantman

Hydrantman

Feb 4, 2008
Earth
GMan00001 said:
The room was $25 + $2 to the bellhop = $27 paid for the room ($9 each)

They each got $1 back which means they only paid $9 each instead of $10. 9x3=27 plus the $2 kept by the bellhop. 27+2=29. Where did the last $ go?

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hydrantman said:
Ghondi said:
The way your posing the question it is not possible.

You're right. It's the impossible math question! There is no answer.

they each paid $8.33 for the room 3x8.33=24.99+the 3 they got back=27.99 plus the 2 the clepto kept=29.99 so wheres the penny LOL :icon_scratch:

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Hydrantman said:
No because you spelled your name wrong.

Ahh, see, there is where I have you. My nickname is Ghondi, not to be confused with Gandhi. The profile picture is to give people help pronouncing it.
Spelled differently on purpose.

jonhls

Nov 10, 2006
Well my reply didnt seem to post but i also came up with the 8.33...but 30 silver dollars at @15 melt equals 450 for the room.My question is who got all the silver

OP
OP
Hydrantman

Hydrantman

Feb 4, 2008
Earth
jonhls said:
Well my reply didnt seem to post but i also came up with the 8.33...but 30 silver dollars at @15 melt equals 450 for the room.My question is who got all the silver

Face value.... they were very generous... which is why they let the bellhop keep the other $2. but they didnt pay $8.33, they paid $10 and got $1 back each meaning they ended up only paying $9 each.

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hydrantman said:
jonhls said:

Face value.... they were very generous... which is why they let the bellhop keep the other $2. but they didnt pay $8.33, they paid $10 and got $1 back each meaning they ended up only paying $9 each.

ok then 1 guy paid 9 and the other 2 8 the other 2 tipped the bellboy 1 each and each had 1 returned they as a group paid 25 for the room and tipped the guy 2 I dunno just tryin to stir the pot cause Im bored at work

OP
OP
Hydrantman

Hydrantman

Feb 4, 2008
Earth
TreasureTales said:
They paid 10 dollars each. The bellhop never made it to their room because he got greedy and ran off with the 5 silver dollars. He sold them to a coin dealer for 53 dollars and parlayed his stolen profits into a million dollars on the craps table. He then felt so guilty he decided to send 20 silver dollars each to the three coin collectors. So the story ends with them being PAID for their stay at the hotel. All's well that ends well.

Nice try but no.

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wait now that I really look at it you're counting the $2 kept by the bell boy twice they paid 25 for the room not 27 and the bell boy kept 2 for a total of 27 add the 3 returned and u get 30

OP
OP
Hydrantman

Hydrantman

Feb 4, 2008
Earth
fyrfighter17 said:
wait now that I really look at it you're counting the $2 kept by the bell boy twice they paid 25 for the room not 27 and the bell boy kept 2 for a total of 27 add the 3 returned and u get 30

The bellboy is not getting counted twice.... after each man gets $1 back from their original $10 that means they each only paid $9. If you gave me $10 and I gave you back $1 that means you only spent $9.... so that means each guy only sent $9 for the room. Thebell boy only had $5 to give back and since it would not have been even they each only got $1 back EACH. The ther $2 was kept by the bellboy. 27+2=29!!!

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hydrantman said:
fyrfighter17 said:

The bellboy is not getting counted twice.... after each man gets $1 back from their original $10 that means they each only paid $9. If you gave me $10 and I gave you back $1 that means you only spent $9.... so that means each guy only sent $9 for the room. Thebell boy only had $5 to give back and since it would not have been even they each only got $1 back EACH. The ther $2 was kept by the bellboy. 27+2=29!!!

but now think about it....follow me here they spent 9 each for a total of 27... 25 for the room and 2 for the bell boy.... they didn't spend 27 plus the 2 for the bellboy... therefore that 2 is being counted twice... it should just be 27 not 27+2.... because if you did it that way 27+2=29+the 3 they did get back now you have 32

OP
OP
Hydrantman

Hydrantman

Feb 4, 2008
Earth
fyrfighter17 said:
Hydrantman said:
fyrfighter17 said:

but now think about it....follow me here they spent 9 each for a total of 27... 25 for the room and 2 for the bell boy.... they didn't spend 27 plus the 2 for the bellboy... therefore that 2 is being counted twice... it should just be 27 not 27+2.... because if you did it that way 27+2=29+the 3 they did get back now you have 32

But that is wrong.... they paid $30 originally and got $3 back meaning they paid $27 in the end and $2 that was also supposed to be given back to them which would have then made the bill $25 but that $2 went to the bellhop meaning they still ended up paying $27 between the 3 of them. 27+2=29! :icon_jokercolor:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread