What happened to the last dollar?

Hydrantman

Feb 4, 2008
Earth
Three coin collectors are in town for the convention and get a hotel room that cost a total of $30 for the night. Each guy thought it would be fun to pay the bill with 10 silver dollars. The manager was so taken by this that he decided to only charge $25 for the room. He gave the bellhop 5 of the silver dollars back to give back to the guys in the room. On the way up, the bellhop tries to figure out how to divide $5 for 3 people. So he decides to give each guy back $1 and keep $2 for himself.

Now then, this means that after getting a dollar back, each man only paid $9 for the room instaed of $10. So....

$9 x 3 = $27 + $2 (kept by the bellhop) = $29
They each paid $10 up front for a total of $30 for the room. Where did the last dollar go????

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hydrantman

Hydrantman

Feb 4, 2008
Earth
Montana Jim said:
Hydrantman said:
Montana Jim said:
Hydrantman said:
I'm not ADDING the $2 to the $27... the $27 is what they all eventually paid PLUS the $2 that the bellhop kept for himself. Thats $29 :o

Ahhh... but, you are. Reread that... you just added it.

It's NOT plus... the 2 came from the 27. leaving 25 for the room, 2 for the bellhop = 27.
Ok lets look at it your way.... 30 - 27 (that the guys paid) MINUS 2 (that the bellhop took) = 1 missing dollar!!!!!!!! *LMAO*

Yer killin me...

Where did that come from? Your just jamming numbers together without thinking... all you have to do is ACCOUNT for the total... not add what was paid to what was kept... ALL the money is OUTGOING... not added to anything.

The guys kept: 3.00
The hotel kept: 25.00
The hop kept: 2.00
Total: 30.00

did you see my assigned numbers post above?

It's fun tho aint it?????????

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Hydrantman said:
Montana Jim said:
Hydrantman said:
Montana Jim said:
Hydrantman said:
I'm not ADDING the $2 to the $27... the $27 is what they all eventually paid PLUS the $2 that the bellhop kept for himself. Thats $29 :o

Ahhh... but, you are. Reread that... you just added it.

It's NOT plus... the 2 came from the 27. leaving 25 for the room, 2 for the bellhop = 27.
Ok lets look at it your way.... 30 - 27 (that the guys paid) MINUS 2 (that the bellhop took) = 1 missing dollar!!!!!!!! *LMAO*

Yer killin me...

Where did that come from? Your just jamming numbers together without thinking... all you have to do is ACCOUNT for the total... not add what was paid to what was kept... ALL the money is OUTGOING... not added to anything.

The guys kept: 3.00
The hotel kept: 25.00
The hop kept: 2.00
Total: 30.00

did you see my assigned numbers post above?

It's fun tho aint it?????????

Yup :D :BangHead: Got any more? LOL

OP
OP
Hydrantman

Hydrantman

Feb 4, 2008
Earth
Yup :D :BangHead: Got any more? LOL
[/quote]

OK if a train leaves New York at 50 MPH and excelerates it's speed 15 miles every hour, what time would that train reach Chicago? :icon_scratch:

By the way... we just cracked the top 15 list for most replies to a thread! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hydrantman said:
OK if a train leaves New York at 50 MPH and excelerates it's speed 15 miles every hour, what time would that train reach Chicago?

Is this an instantaneous acceleration every hour?

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Hydrantman said:
OK if a train leaves New York at 50 MPH and excelerates it's speed 15 miles every hour, what time would that train reach Chicago? :icon_scratch:

Oh man... I can't do this one - it involves math! :tard:

cucumberjack

Feb 11, 2008
Assuming a constant acceleration of 15 mph/h and a distance of 711.5 mi.
v=15t+50
711.5=7.5t^2+50t
t=6.96 hrs (+/- a millionth of a second due to special relativity)
that is if the train even makes it, there is a probability that the train could be anywhere, due to quantum mechanics.

I liked the coin problem, really made me question my existance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread