All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
When I started I was the only CRH in a 40 mile radius. I would find something almost every day I went out searching. I would go into a bank once a month and they would tell me that I was the only person asking for halves and odd coins since I'd been there the last time. I had a 100 mile radius that I covered and only one area showed signs of any other CRH activity that would cause me to avoid it. The tellers that cared were still grabbing the silver but it wasn't worth as much and most had no idea what was going on. This went on for a few years and I can tell you it was quite profitable. Things changed about two years ago. Now every bank I go in the tellers who I know well tell me they average at least one person a day asking for halves and odd coins. This isn't just in the metro areas but in the rural areas as well. All the donuts in the world won't work as the tellers have heard people ask so often for halves and dimes that they know what the deal is. There just isn't enough silver to go around to keep it viable for this many searchers. You might get the occasional bank with a complete group of rookies and the lucky find but it won't take them long to realize that there is silver in them thar rolls...I still enjoy the search but it looks like high volume is the only way to still score much silver and that system doesn't usually last that long before you are just looking at your own coins. If you are new and luck into virgin territory enjoy it while it last - I still hang out here and mostly lurk but my glory days have passed and I think maybe also for this hobby.

Maine_Jim

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also lurked for about a year before joining and got in on the tail end and had some good boxes before the drought. I hardly search anymore. just not worth the effort for skunk after skunk, just dimes and copper hoarding and hitting the LCS.:thumbsup:

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The banks I used for pick up have all converted to coin counters with large bins instead of individual bags so I can't purchase from them any longer. I never got into ordering boxes since I had such a good supply of bags for several years. Finds have been slowing down and I'm losing interest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread