jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL VICKI, I know it's not Funny, but Can't help it.

You'll get it yet

GOOD LUCK & Congrats on The Nail Finds ;)

J E F F

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Hmmmmmmm!! are you sure you got your settings right?
I had trouble like that at first. Are they nice nails? LOL sry

OP
OP
vic910

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
Thanks for all the sympathy ya'll! LOL No, I didn't notch out the pull tabs because I'm too afraid I'll miss something so I dig everything! I haven't gotten quite used to the knobs and stuff on the detector yet so I usually keep it on "all metal", that seems to work best for now.

vicki

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"ALL METAL" that is your Problem, and why all the nails.

Go to "Discriminate" make shure your at Minimum Discrimination. On both Notch & Disc.

Only Switch to all metal to Pinpoint

Let us know How you do.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting ........jeff

F

Floater

Jeff Is Absolutely Correct. The all metal mode is to be used only for pinpointing or the occasional Beach run.If there is trash IE nails This will mask out any good signals while in the all metal mode. When you place it in disc. then the detector will eliminate most Iron. Keeping the disc low will still find trash IE pull tabs etc. But this is a good thing. I don't know what detector your using but are you using headphones? and maybe we should move the conversation to techniques if you like but I think you are getting the Picture here. Good Luck and keep it beeping.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember Right "Sovereign Elite" ?

? ? Toggle on Variable tone
? ?Toggle on Disc
? ?Disc. all the way to the Left (Counter Clockwise)
? ?Notch all the way to Left (Counter Clockwise)
? ?Volume all the way right (Clockwise)
? ?Sensitivity all the way left (Counter clockwise) & clicked on "Auto", till you learn your Detector very well
? ?Threshold, just Barely audible

I'v heard Band 2 is best, but you can try both & see which works best for your area.

I use the Sovereign XS-2

? ? ? ? ? ?Swing Very Slowly.

F

Floater

That's a nice ride. As is yours Jeff. I compared a few setting with Surfrats quattro last night. Totally different then the Excalibur. The Sovereigns are more similar to mine and I have heard they are virtually the same machine. I love mine but it does have a high learning curve, but I'm glad it is what I am learning on. HH

D

Darod

Your gettin' good advice here Vicki.

I'm assuming your using the Soveriegn by what Jeff offered up. Not sure if that model has "iron mask" on it or not. If it doesn't, then you'll still hit iron I would assume at the lowest disc setting in disc mode. I know the Excalibur that Floater and I use has "iron mask" feature on it. With our machines the iron is masked out even at the lowest disc settting in disc mode. You'll have to see what your detector has in this feature.

So, if you don't have the "iron mask" feature on your unit, you would probably want to set the disc up enough to get rid of those iron signals (unless you like nails ;D). Just lay one of those nails down on the ground and start with the disc all the way to the left (counter clockwise). Swing over and over it again and again while slowly turning your disc clockwise unit you don't get that nail signaling anymore. Right at the edge that disc point is where you should be I would think. You'll still get pull tabs, bottle caps, etc. BUT, you'll get nickels and gold too ;D.

Like I said Vicki, not sure what model you have exactly but maybe all this advice your getting will help you some.

Let us know how it works out.

Rod

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Point ROD, Iron Mask is Built into the XS-2, don't know on the Elite'

ksczesny

Nov 26, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1865 2 cent piece in my own postage stamp of a yard and the house is only 50yrs old?

RI-JenW

Feb 23, 2005
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;)

Attachments

• nail.gif
    nail.gif
    33.4 KB · Views: 406
OP
OP
vic910

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
All of your advice is greatly appreciated!

ROD - That's a great idea about putting the nail down. No, the machine doesn't have an iron mask setting.

Jeff - your settings were helpful, pretty much what was in the manual. My problem is that I'm still so new at this, that I get so excited when I do get a hit even if it is a nail! The thing is, that when I do disc out iron, the machine goes blank when I do go over something that is tuned out, which tells me there's something down there, that it drives me crazy about what it is, so I dig it anyway. I'm sure I'll get over that eventually. Right now, I haven't found quite enough nails to build that dream house of mine yet! LOL

Dudes2112 - If I notch out pull tabs, I also notch out nickels by default, I think.

Floater - I have headphones, but I don't use them because they are too big for my head and they keep falling off when I look down.

Ksczesny - Great find!!!! HH

Thanks again to everyone.

vicki

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vic910 said:
All of your advice is greatly appreciated!

Jeff - your settings were helpful, pretty much what was in the manual.? My problem is that I'm still so new at this, that I get so excited when I do get a hit even if it is a nail!? The thing is, that when I do disc out iron, the machine goes blank when I do go over something that is tuned out, which tells me there's something down there, that it drives me crazy about what it is, so I dig it anyway.? I'm sure I'll get over that eventually.? Right now, I haven't found quite enough nails to build that dream house of mine yet!? LOL

Thanks again to everyone.

vicki

Vicki ;

I do the Same thing with alot of the NULLS so I know what you mean, However Min. Disc, will Seperate Targets more.
I think at one time Everyone carried a pocket full of Nails, Keep diggin' them & you'll be able to Build 2 Dream Houses ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vic910 said:
Floater - I have headphones, but I don't use them because they are too big for my head and they keep falling off when I look down.

vicki

? ? ;D? Hay, Look at Floater, His Floats right on his Head? ;D

Seariously Tho, Headphones Would Help with those Smaller, Deeper Targets.

? Try a Baseball Cap & Headphones. it may help.

and yes Notching out Pulltabs will Notch out Nickels & some Gold Rings.

As Always ; Happy Hunting ; Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread