Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a abandoned all boys high school about 150 years old. It's been closed down since Katrina. It's located on the other side of the Mississippi River levee. I've been there 3 times not finding anything old. It's mostly sand under the grass due to them probably having to keep filling in the erosion I guess. Still such a beautiful old high school.
a83afa06c0a528726def74c3f9a85b03.jpg
d5d7874c5eeb3d069919974cd39ada71.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big landmarks have a bigger chance of being pounded over the decades. I found my best sites on side streets and back roads.
It was worth a shot though.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big landmarks have a bigger chance of being pounded over the decades. I found my best sites on side streets and back roads.
It was worth a shot though.

My best find was in a strip of grass in the middle of town in front of a lawyers office. Weird looks and all.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Loco is right about the big places getting hit hardest. I have found silver coins at the older schools around here, but not very many.

That place looks killer! However, I am a sucker, and think ALL places look good. Sometime you have to go to a place several times before it gives up the goods. One of the best local places I found (10 silver coins plus lots of relics) skunked me the first two times. Nothing but modern coins and trash. On a lark, I stopped one afternoon, dug 3 holes... a wheatie and 2 mercs. Point being, don't give up on the old girl so quick, the good ones require a bit of work before the treasure starts to flow! No place is ever hunted out. Surge forward sir!

PS: Don't let that concertina wire scare you, it aint that sharp. Go for it!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco is right about the big places getting hit hardest. I have found silver coins at the older schools around here, but not very many.

That place looks killer! However, I am a sucker, and think ALL places look good. Sometime you have to go to a place several times before it gives up the goods. One of the best local places I found (10 silver coins plus lots of relics) skunked me the first two times. Nothing but modern coins and trash. On a lark, I stopped one afternoon, dug 3 holes... a wheatie and 2 mercs. Point being, don't give up on the old girl so quick, the good ones require a bit of work before the treasure starts to flow! No place is ever hunted out. Surge forward sir!

PS: Don't let that concertina wire scare you, it aint that sharp. Go for it!

Yeah but Tom when I see a lot of sand under the grass that then makes me think that anything old is too far down. Do you think that's true?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We get a lot of sand down here. I hate sand!!! Lol I swear I saw this today
becb67867ca5039115b0576de4aaae09.jpg

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
As previously stated, I am a sucker for spots like that. However, sand or no sand, I'd have to walk around that place for many hours before I was convinced it held no treasure. Maybe there is an older grove of tress near by, that the kids cut through... or perhaps a "school yard" area. Some spot that has nor had sand dumped on it. I'd be all over those.

As for the sand, it's the same in Charleston, and stuff gets found there all of the time. Sand is better than rock hard red clay, that can assure you.

Maybe you are right, but I'd give a good try before walking away.

Did you find anything, like clad, or modern trash?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As previously stated, I am a sucker for spots like that. However, sand or no sand, I'd have to walk around that place for many hours before I was convinced it held no treasure. Maybe there is an older grove of tress near by, that the kids cut through... or perhaps a "school yard" area. Some spot that has nor had sand dumped on it. I'd be all over those.

As for the sand, it's the same in Charleston, and stuff gets found there all of the time. Sand is better than rock hard red clay, that can assure you.

Maybe you are right, but I'd give a good try before walking away.

Did you find anything, like clad, or modern trash?

I found a little clad and asuperman ring.
84b3cb3b62798b06f9fefce74b1aeeae.jpg
. I'm going to keep on it because you're absolutely right next time I go I'll be sure to give you a private message. I just really expected so much more. But the good thing about me is I never give up.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sometimes all boys schools were in fact "reform" schools ...not much in way of money at those types of places

Sand87

Feb 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised you didn't find the obligatory toy cars, I find little toy cars, toy guns and the like every time I detect around this old children's home.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to see that you scored a ring! Nice.

Ivan might be onto something, if it was a school for "wayward youth", then it might not have as much as a regular school.

I am proud of you for sticking it out, and scoring a ring. Remember the pathway to success is covered in the bones of failure! Stick to the plan.

Maybe, just maybe the next trip will bring something even better.

GL my brother!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey a superman ring... got a superman ring last year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread