spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is it that draws you to a certain type of music. Is it the rhythm/beat, vocals, or perhaps the instrumentals :dontknow: My taste in music appreciation grew over the years. In the late 50's I was already interested in several types of music and by the 60's there was a smorgasbord to be had :laughing7:

I remember when rock was just starting to progress, and I found more interest in the fusion of different types of music. The combination of rock, blues and jazz seemed the perfect mix for me.. Although I enjoy each on its on merit, the new sound was 10 times greater.

The only music I can't fully enjoy on its own is country and rap. Yes, there are a few good songs from that genre I do like, but overall, there are far and few in-between.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Music has always rocked my world! Since I was a kid I have been fascinated with all kinds of music. That being said, I don't "enjoy" all forms of music. Some music I find irritating, some of it I don't understand, and some I find boring.

I suppose since the music I first "discovered" was 60's rock, it has and always will hold a special place in my soul. I taught myself to play guitar, then started a garage band in high school and spent hours and hours learning to play my favorite songs. It was awesome growing up with rock music, watching and listening as it evolved, through the 70's into the early 80's with the advent of MTV, and music videos.

I still try to keep up with the latest in popular music, go to concerts still, and there are bands that can hold my interest, but not like it used to be.

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Brad Delp sang it best...

I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
Turned on some music to start my day
I lost myself in a familiar song
I closed my eyes and I slipped away

It's more than a feeling (more than a feeling)
When I hear that old song they used to play (more than a feeling)
I begin dreaming (more than a feeling)
'till I see Marianne walk away
I see my Marianne walkin' away

So many people have come and gone
Their faces fade as the years go by
Yet I still recall as I wander on
as clear as the sun in the summer sky

I see my Marianne walkin' away

When I'm tired and thinking cold
I hide in my music, forget the day
and dream of a girl I used to know
I closed my eyes and she slipped away
She slipped away

It is more that a feeling... Some mysic I listen to for Lyrical content, some the riff, some the beat, or the style... I go from Barbra Streisand, to Karen Carpenter, to mid to late 60's psydelic rock, to the british invasion, to David Cassidy, to Deep Purple, then Black Sabbath, The Who, the elements of Earth Wind and Fire, Disco, Spanky and Our Gang, etc...

Music can take us to a place, a time, or head space...

I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
Turned on some music to start my day
I lost myself in a familiar song
I closed my eyes and I slipped away

[youtube=425,350]m5ZDxo-5jLg[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]64iHw9XvwYs[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]oRmUflZ3bBI[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]XkLI121OBms[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]JlVaC1DWrOs[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]tplXoE4jizM[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]_aIhh9nFYv4[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]WEL6_SuQCu8[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]dPmbT5XC-q0[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]x1mV_5-bRPo[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]WwLdyIdY6U8[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]iuLBhxZUkmU[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]oIbaISxK8QY[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]dIDaBF8LILk[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]w3Q2L1Tt1Hk[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]eOr4O66WZW0[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]Gy_aahkIdEI[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]_EBMo8xHGNs[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]hsCdlX-5UjE[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]KgZSnAkQc4c[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]YpCASVFyQoE[/youtube]

Where do you want to go today ??

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt, we parallel in so many ways when it comes to music. Ever since I can remember music was always around me.. Although I really didn't like 50's music, there were some songs that stood out. It didn't hurt that my parents pulled out the 78's with music from "South Pacific, The Ink Spots and many others.. What is most funny is that I still know the words to many of the songs from he South Pacific :laughing7:

By the time I was 8, I was already having music in school. We learned to read music and of course the song flute. By 9, I was in a class and started learning the violin which I studied for 2 years and played in the school orchestra. When I went to Jr High, my school lost my music transcripts and I lost out on being able to change instruments. I wanted to switch to percussion, or brass, but all the good instruments were taken.. I really didn't want to play the tuba, so it was back to the violin for 3 more years..

By the mid 60's rock was already headed in the direction I appreciated most, so of course I gravitated to the sound. Several of my friends played instruments and one of the older guys ( Moe ) had a set of drums that he stored in our cellar clubhouse. ( Moe's real name is Julio, got the nickname Moe from the haircut he sported. ) I was lucky to watch him practice and also got a few time to try myself. I was addicted :headbang: A few years later I was able to save up my money for my first set of drums.. I added to it over the next few years, until it was a set that was to die for. My other friend "Tommy" was almost an idiot savant when it came to the guitar. He could sit listen to a song and pretty much play it note for note after listening to it a few times. Tommy taught me chords and a few songs.. Loved the guitar, but I wasn't as good as I was on the drums. I am now in the process of teaching myself the guitar all over again, starting over just tying to remember the various chords, songs will come later..

I was also in a few bands that played local spots, but nothing ever great came from that.. We all loved music and getting the chance to perform for others was the best feeling in the world. I did notice that women liked guys in a band at that time too :laughing7: :headbang:

Like you, I still listen to most new groups, but very few can hold a candle to the music back then... These new bands are lucky to have 1-2 good, strong songs per CD. In the 60's you were lucky if you had 2 bad songs on an album... Big difference... I think that today's youth are not searching for newer sounds, or experimenting for fusing different sounds and rhythms together..

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FooserPaul, I see you posted just before I did :laughing9: I have noticed in your posts, that you are pretty much up on the musicians of the 60/70's. Knowing where they were and where they went to. :thumbsup:

Yes, yes, yes.... Music can make you travel through time.. Music had such an impact that I can either remember when the song first came out, or tie a moment frozen in time to a specific song..

It's funny, you really do get a clear picture and a walk in the past when certain songs come on.. I mentioned that on the Hollie post.. "Bus Stop" reminded me of my first puppy love :laughing7: I clearly remember Deep Purple's "Hush", sitting on the stoop with a bunch of friends and noting this was a new and wild sound for the time...

You may, or may not have noticed, but my taste for music runs a full spectrum. I appreciate most forms and will only exclude country and rap for the most part... Even if I don't like it, I will give it a chance. :thumbsup:

The best part is this music is still alive and as strong today as it was back then.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My music tastes change with my mood

as a Child I Actually Thought
Country singers were good :tongue3:

Once I reached my Teens
I Was into rock

in my late 20's, oldies (50's 60's) & still rock

in my 30's Classic rock
in my 40's same

now that I'm in my 50's, mostly Blues
& Uncensored Rap
(The more Hate & Vulgarities in rap the more I Like it :P )
but it's wierd because I Don't agree with the rappers
opinions, Just like the way it sounds.
it gives me energy when I need it.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Spart, I think we are on the same page musically, except for the rap although I am not too crazy about jazz, it rambles too much for me. I love the blues though!

Funny, my son is 13 and he is absolutely nuts about 50's music! Go figure.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Someone once said there are only 2 types of music, good & bad. I think maybe I understand that. Even if a song isn't our favorite type of music, most of us could probably sense whether or not they had talent.

I've often wondered whether or not I had anything else in common with other detectorists. It looks like many of us were/are listening to the same music. Maybe we didn't always agree what was the best, but were willing to give various things a listen & appreciate them to some extent in most cases.

Some detectorists are interested in the past/history & that may apply to music interest as well. Or some are interested in new detectors & maybe new music, too. Country music is the most popular in the US, but if you live in a major metro area in the northern US, pop/rock music may dominate the airwaves.

I never was able to appreciate classical music. Most instrumentals I felt the same way. Instrumental because 1) They couldn't find anyone who could sing?
2) They couldn't find anyone who could think of words that rhyme? 3) They didn't want to offend anyone with certain words/ideas/opinions?

Rap-the same sound over & over but a few I like for lyrics, like a recent one that said politicians should put their hands up, give us our money back, we're gonna have trickle-up economics.

Country, I do know some but the same old thoughts: getting really drunk is great, we do it 6 days a week, then ask forgiveness & do it again. We like dogs, fishing, hunting, sitting on porch, driving pick-ups or tractors, and we miss the good old days.

Rock music: many don't enunciate clearly, or instruments drown out singer. Maybe they don't have much to say, either. But I couldn't be a musician so have to give them credit for some talent. Best wishes, George (MN)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the overall sound, cause I have trouble understandin the words lots of times in songs. I liked Public Enemy, cause I could understand the words. I found REM long before they became famous, but when they hit the big time I said, Cool, now everybody will hear them, which was contrary to what the other fans said. Hank Williams was alright, but I don't worship him, Hank Jr.'s cooler, and y'all must listen to Hank III. Anything live gets it for me. I've heard the local school band doin 'Hawaii Five-0', a vagabond playin Marshall Tucker down here on the street corner, Taj Mahal doin 'Fishin Blues', and those drunk dopers next door doin a pretty fair rendition of 'Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers'. And I loved them all. A lot of things performed live are way more better than the recorded version on the radio. And I wanna add, after all these years, 'If it's too loud, you're too damned old!!' Turn it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread