What is the best digging tool you can buy????

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Digging, out here in Colorado the soil and rocks can be tough. I've had a lot of digging tools and knives bend on me, but that gaitor has held its own. Stay away from kellycos probe though it is not worth buying. I got mine for free or I would be an unhappy camper. It could be that the minelab detects so deep all probes would be useless. Like I've said before a pick and two spades I can pinpoint anything.

Wild Boulder

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got tired of bending my metal trowel and being afraid to put my weight on the plastic ones, so I picked up one of the Hori-Hori digging knives. Great tool! I can't imagine bending this thing! With just a touch of file work, it will be the perfect tool, I think. A little cheaper than the Gator or Lesche, too.

Good hunting,
desmobob

Orygun

Feb 21, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Technetics T2 Classic
I built my own digging type knife, I will try and post a picture sometime. Its made of stainless steel and has a mountain mahogony handle. I looked at everything that was available and decided that I wanted some of the stuff offered (serration, solid piece design) and took a drawing to a buddy who has a machine shop. It took us a little while but we did lots of tests on it and I doubt that this bad boy will ever break. In the meantime I bought a garden trowel from Kmart that is made from a solid piece of T6 aluminum and it turned out to be a real heavy duty tool for the money ($3.99) Anyway I will get a photo posted sometime when I am thinking about it.

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
As a newbee I find this a good thread. What should I look for in a digging tool and how are they usually used. I was thinking of using an old army surplus folding shovel, a little garden trowel, and a knife.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here Ya Go? ;D
Great for Sidewalk Hunting

Attachments

• 375c21d0.jpg
    375c21d0.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 300

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I like a Stainless Steal Trawl.

with a Long Handle best

JEFF

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? ? ? I been down looking at bobcats. Hmmm, you know, it just might work.? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? Wonder if i can get a detector rack installed on it? HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread