What is this big rusty iron thing?

Andy0820

Jul 7, 2017
West Brookfield, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like a rope or barbed wire might have went through it. IMG_20170801_152457.jpg

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you have to admit it certainly looks like a "no-tie" insulator. All the connections appear to be common and the hardware screams "powerline" it must be something to maintain a ground or neutral along the line. You might contact the National Insulator Association and email your pix to them, those guys know everything about antique electrical stuff.

......Except , Bruce , as you might be able to see , there is no place to make a permanent connection..... that loosening the tension on any cable going through item would then free the piece to slide along said cable . This is surely a friction fit.
I would STILL LIKE TO SEE other angled PICS .

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
......Except , Bruce , as you might be able to see , there is no place to make a permanent connection..... that loosening the tension on any cable going through item would then free the piece to slide along said cable . This is surely a friction fit.
I would STILL LIKE TO SEE other angled PICS .

It wouldn't be fastened securely, it has to be able to move in order to compensate for the wind blowing the wire, expansion and contraction, etc. the N.I.A. Will have someone that knows exactly what it is.

Upvote 0

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I sent a pic off to the Westinghouse historical group, in hopes they could ID it. I am certain the raised letters once spelled Westinghouse. But most of the letters are no longer visable.

Upvote 0

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I heard back from Westinghouse. Even they were not one hundred percent sure what it was, but they sent me a 1920catalog and I found similar items that looked like the top half of your piece. There final decision was : " possibly be a wire suspension fixture for an overhead (catenary) line, possibly for a mine trolley application"

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I heard back from Westinghouse. Even they were not one hundred percent sure what it was, but they sent me a 1920 catalog and I found similar items that looked like the top half of your piece.
There final decision was : " possibly be a wire suspension fixture for an overhead (catenary) line, possibly for a mine trolley application"

May we see the pics and descriptions from the 1920 catalog?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread