What is this embedded in ancient reed rock?

Reef

Jul 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is this embedded in ancient reef rock?

I’m completely ignorant when it comes to meteorites, rocks and gems, my hobby is actually saltwater fish tanks and collecting corals. For new aquariums we sometimes use dry harvested from land ancient reef rock made up of calcium carbonate limestone. This rock comes from ancient reef when the Florida landmass was formed, you can sometimes see fragments of shells in these rocks.

I happened to get a piece which has a dark colored rock or metal embedded in it. I realized it was in there about a week after putting it inside my newly filled aquarium and I got nervous because most heavy metals in the water will kill corals. I called the place I bought the calcium carbonate limestone rocks from and also another reputable vendor who have both gone through tons and tons of these rocks but never seen anything like this before.

Typically the rocks are just whiteish porous limestone. I posted a pic in one of the fish forums I’m part of and someone said maybe it’s a meteorite that hit the ancient reef, which never crossed my mind. My mind tends to go to bad things, like uranium, which I see in google can be in limestone sometimes. Again, I’m completely ignorant and have no idea what this could be.

Anybody have any idea what this is or how to find out? The surface area is maybe the size of a dime. One picture shows the entire limestone rock in my aquarium, with the small piece I’m questioning towards the top. The other pics that are actually clear were taken in the sunlight when I pulled the rock out and it’s still wet.
D7626306-A502-496D-BD90-E3A7B6318DC7.jpeg 17F620BB-63E5-402C-8C03-9282ABD0F537.jpeg E69D6D7A-44A3-48AC-B950-AF79672B707F.jpeg 458A3808-1B75-4544-A49F-877F69EF9316.jpeg 28478404-D2B0-474F-84CA-6A2A43421D25.jpeg

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Your image is too blurry.
Many minerals and rocks are black. Try to post a better picture for id (dry in natural light).
Highly unlikely that it is uranium.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Reef

Jul 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B7D43874-3205-4CB1-958A-C7CA6DE736CA.jpeg
Your image is too blurry.
Many minerals and rocks are black. Try to post a better picture for id (dry in natural light).
Highly unlikely that it is uranium.

I got some pictures of it dry today. I threw the rock out in my yard and didn’t even realize there was a spider on it until I looked at the pictures, if it was something radioactive, I could have become Spider-Man! I didn’t get bitten but I did manage to cut my finger somehow... I’m glad you think highly unlikely to be uranium, why is that because of appearance or Florida location it came from or something else?

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
It is still just a black mass to me. It could be anything. There is no alteration around it, nor does it have any crystal form to help with the id. You have to take it to someone to look at it in person. No amount of pictures is going to help in your case.
As for the uranium thing the short answer is that is not how it forms or where it forms. Almost any ore can be found in limestone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Reef

Jul 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is still just a black mass to me. It could be anything. There is no alteration around it, nor does it have any crystal form to help with the id. You have to take it to someone to look at it in person. No amount of pictures is going to help in your case.
As for the uranium thing the short answer is that is not how it forms or where it forms. Almost any ore can be found in limestone.
Thanks I appreciate your feedback

Upvote 0

Johnbrian

Jun 15, 2017
Bakersfield, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's 3900/D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1736284

I got some pictures of it dry today. I threw the rock out in my yard and didn’t even realize there was a spider on it until I looked at the pictures, if it was something radioactive, I could have become Spider-Man! I didn’t get bitten but I did manage to cut my finger somehow... I’m glad you think highly unlikely to be uranium, why is that because of appearance or Florida location it came from or something else?

I HATE SPIDERS!!! Ick

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread