What is your Junk worth RIGHT NOW?

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Ok, guys....

Please give me your best estimate for the price you can get TODAY for your junk, and where you can get it. (generally, that is...coinshop, internet, swapmeet, etc.)

Please be specific, as in:

A Roosie or Merc dime is worth_______

A Wash. quarter is worth______

40% half is worth ______

90% half is worth______

War nickel is worth _____

I would really appreciate your input. Today at the coin shop I was surprised that I was only offered 72% of melt value.
Is that your experience?
(I am talking ONLY silver value here, of course.)

I like to keep tabs on the current value of my stash and today was a painful dose of reality. Is there a better market out there?

I want a better idea of true value than Coinmelt.com can give me.

Upvote 0

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
I dont know how well it is working for those selling, because I am not selling, just buying lately, but I watch the classifieds ads in my area, and it seems to me that anytime someone is selling any silver at all for anything below face it goes rather quickly. If you are looking to sell, then find the classifieds for your area, and post an add. In my area, it is the coin and stamp section. Then title it silver coinage, way under spot, and then figure spot price, deduct 5-10%. That is what I would do. I also know that if you looked up smelters and called them, they will tell you what they pay, and from what I hear, most of them pay 90% at least. Good luck.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
The only guy in town offered me on Saturday $11.00 per coin for 90% silver halves, and I thought that was low. He didn't want the 40% at all. So I still have my small pile.

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
weighit said:
The only guy in town offered me on Saturday $11.00 per coin for 90% silver halves, and I thought that was low. He didn't want the 40% at all. So I still have my small pile.
It amazes me how people as stupid as this guy can stay in business. How could a coin dealer not want silver?

DarkRider23

May 31, 2011
azlegends said:
weighit said:
It amazes me how people as stupid as this guy can stay in business. How could a coin dealer not want silver?

How is he stupid if he doesn't want silver? I'm sure he knows more about his business than you do.

He wouldn't be able to sell the silver at melt value, so why buy it anywhere near melt value? $11 per coin is actually pretty damn high considering he'll only be able to sell it for $14-$15 and then he'll have to wait for the buyer to actually walk in the door. Who knows how long it takes them to sell the stuff. On top of that, he has to run the risk of silver plummeting and being worth half of what he bought the coin for just one day ago. Silver is a volatile investment and can lose or gain a great amount of value in just hours. And if he doesn't want 40% halves, then that still doesn't make him stupid. Maybe he can't sell them and has a ton of them already. Why buy more if you already have a lot of them and run the risk of them losing their value in days?

To me, it sounds like you don't have a solid understanding of how business works or how volatile silver is in today's market, but still throw out opinions like "This guy is stupid" without having any of the facts in front of you.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Piledriver said:
Ok, guys....

Please give me your best estimate for the price you can get TODAY for your junk, and where you can get it. (generally, that is...coinshop, internet, swapmeet, etc.)

Please be specific, as in:

A Roosie or Merc dime is worth_______

A Wash. quarter is worth______

40% half is worth ______

90% half is worth______

War nickel is worth _____

I would really appreciate your input. Today at the coin shop I was surprised that I was only offered 72% of melt value.
Is that your experience?
(I am talking ONLY silver value here, of course.)

I like to keep tabs on the current value of my stash and today was a painful dose of reality. Is there a better market out there?

I want a better idea of true value than Coinmelt.com can give me.

From my meager experience 72% of melt from a coin shop is above average. A retail business trying to make 28% profit is not unreasonable at all. The advantage of selling to the coin shop is that you get paid immediately, albeit at a discounted price. You walk in with silver, and walk out with cash in hand. No risk, no wait. With that said, you can get a better price for your silver. As others have stated, your best bet for profit is to cut out the middleman and sell directly to a collector. You'd probably be able to sell for very near spot, possibly right here on this forum. Just be smart and use common sense. There are many unscrupulous people out there that will rob you given the opportunity. The safest route while still maintaining a good price for your silver is eBay or one of the big metal exchanges such as APMEX (if you have a big enough quantity to sell). Even after fees and expenses you'll probably clear ~85-90%. I also hear that some dealers at coin shows pay near spot as well. That might be worth checking into if you have an upcoming show near you.

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
I have several decent shops around my area... i get $5 for my 40%ers, and 12.50 on my 90%. Dimes i can get $2.50. I still prefer listingg everything for spot on craigslist. i met up with a guy starting a collection for his son and it was exactly for spot =]

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Why would you want to turn silver into fiat money? Aren't we all here saving up for the zombie apocalypse?!? I thought that’s what we all we’re doing. I’m hoarding shotguns, chainsaws, canned meat, and silver in my basement bunker.

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mdockter said:
Why would you want to turn silver into fiat money? Aren't we all here saving up for the zombie apocalypse?!? I thought that’s what we all we’re doing. I’m hoarding shotguns, chainsaws, canned meat, and silver in my basement bunker.

If I need a new washer and dryer, need fiat - silver won't buy me that unless the seller will make the exchange.. Best Buy/Home Depot/Lowes... Out of luck..

I save though.. Not for any apocolypse.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
koala33 said:
If I need a new washer and dryer, need fiat - silver won't buy me that unless the seller will make the exchange.. Best Buy/Home Depot/Lowes... Out of luck..

That's why we have day jobs, to buy crap like that...and silver with what is left over.

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
DarkRider23 said:
azlegends said:
weighit said:

How is he stupid if he doesn't want silver? I'm sure he knows more about his business than you do.

He wouldn't be able to sell the silver at melt value, so why buy it anywhere near melt value? $11 per coin is actually pretty damn high considering he'll only be able to sell it for $14-$15 and then he'll have to wait for the buyer to actually walk in the door. Who knows how long it takes them to sell the stuff. On top of that, he has to run the risk of silver plummeting and being worth half of what he bought the coin for just one day ago. Silver is a volatile investment and can lose or gain a great amount of value in just hours. And if he doesn't want 40% halves, then that still doesn't make him stupid. Maybe he can't sell them and has a ton of them already. Why buy more if you already have a lot of them and run the risk of them losing their value in days?

To me, it sounds like you don't have a solid understanding of how business works or how volatile silver is in today's market, but still throw out opinions like "This guy is stupid" without having any of the facts in front of you.

I don't remember asking for your opinion, but since you decided to shove it at me I will comment. Maybe this cut can't sell the 40% very well, but then maybe he isn't the best coin dealer. I don't know of a single respectable coin dealer that does not buy 40% halves, period. If your supposed to be a professional coin dealer, you should probably have an idea of where to sell the goods for a profit. I have sold to plenty of refiners and gotten well over 85% melt, but im the stupid one?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
$11 FOR HALFS 90% AND $3 FOR 40% HAS BEEN THE GOING RATE AT THE LOCAL COIN SHOP FOR AWHILE -- MOVES A TINY BIT AS AS PRICES MOVE UP AND DOWN IN THE SILVER MARKET.--
40% silver coins are harder to move -- some silver buyers want only 90% as they are easy to deal with when dealing with refiners -- no one "has" to buy your 40%ers at any price , finding a buyer for your silver at a price you deem as "acceptible" is always a issue with silver coin owning folks when they sell, everyone wants the "best deal" , however not everyone gets it , if ones really "hard up"some silver dealers can "sniff out" need -- pawn shops are very well known to offer very little to folks for silver and gold -- they tend to prey on the hard up folks.

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
On another note, for somebody who understand business, you don't seem to know anything about it. I have never seen a coin dealer that routinely sell anything below melt value.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
normally coin dealers ( who normally buy at 70 to 75 % of melt value ) at least charge melt value ( thus making 25% to 30% min profiet) to melt value + a % amount for folks to buy (say spot plus 10%)-- or at "coin collector value" which ever one is higher in value .

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
ivan salis said:
normally coin dealers ( who normally buy at 70 to 75 % of melt value ) at least charge melt value ( thus making 25% to 30% min profiet) to melt value + a % amount for folks to buy (say spot plus 10%)-- or at "coin collector value" which ever one is higher in value .
:icon_thumright:

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been buying and selling silver for the past couple of years and have done rather well. I'm actually making more money than I am in real estate right now. I buy low and sell high. I very seldom use ebay because of the fees and I use them only when I sell my 40% and get top price but then the fees lower that but I still manage a profit and I only buy 40% in huge numbers (100 or more) and yes I need to make a profit as they don't sell as well as 90% only on flea bay. (I'm a coin collector and I can't bring my self to send to the refineries only jewelry)

I buy mostly on the forums and from people that know me locally as buying silver, the pawn shop even send people to me. I also watch the spot price daily and carry a pocket weigh scale and loop with me at all times and it comes in very handy.
I also have Kitco on my cell phone to know what the price is at at that very moment (actually impresses people) :laughing9: :laughing9:.

Bottom line save your silver and have a stash. Then play the game of buying low and selling high it works for me believe me on that.

I started out with a limited sum of money to use and I'm talking under $1000.00 and my stash is now worth nearly $30.000.00 and that's my stash, not what I'm playing with. It was the people on this forum that helped me. I try to take in everything I can and follow the positive people and what there saying and now read other websites and comments and man am I enjoying it. Only regret I have is not doing it sooner but that word FEAR got in the way. And all this started by Coin Roll Hunting. Happy Hunting. Thanks TNet and it's members

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My "junk" is priceless. :laughing9: :laughing9:

Sorry, just had to say it.

OP
OP
Piledriver

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
mdockter said:

As I stated in my post, the experience of only being offered 72% was spooky, BECAUSE..

I do not intend to just stack this stuff, but to SPEND it some day. And I don't want any problems with it being worth a lot less than I think it is.

To my way of thinking, .999 bars or coins are much more negotiable for a far higher percentage of value.

Therefore, I am considering selling now in order to convert to .999 now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread