What is your Junk worth RIGHT NOW?

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Ok, guys....

Please give me your best estimate for the price you can get TODAY for your junk, and where you can get it. (generally, that is...coinshop, internet, swapmeet, etc.)

Please be specific, as in:

A Roosie or Merc dime is worth_______

A Wash. quarter is worth______

40% half is worth ______

90% half is worth______

War nickel is worth _____

I would really appreciate your input. Today at the coin shop I was surprised that I was only offered 72% of melt value.
Is that your experience?
(I am talking ONLY silver value here, of course.)

I like to keep tabs on the current value of my stash and today was a painful dose of reality. Is there a better market out there?

I want a better idea of true value than Coinmelt.com can give me.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
simply put the purer it is the easier to "move / sell" and the better value it is not having to "convert" it to pure --like you do 90% or 40% coins -- 999 silver in 1 oz amount is a exact "known item" value wize --its worth "spot" price --
to buy 999 pure silver 1 oz rounds or bars --one normally has to pay the coin dealer "spot" plus a % for mark up & handling fee .

a coin type dealer will often buy 999 silver rounds or bars from 90 % to full spot price --depending upon how much mark up their making and how they angling it -- if they buy at full spot they sell say at 20 % above spot to the buyer --if they pay only 90% of spot to a seller then they might sell at 10% above spot to a buyer --still making 20 % in the overall --a bit off both ends -- but it keeps his selling price lower so folks will buy from him.

OP
OP
Piledriver

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Upon doing some more calling, I discovered that shops in my area are offering around 90% spot for 90% US coin.
That's good enough for me anytime.

However, they are offering only about 72% for 40% halves and foreign.
So that's what I intend to peddle.

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
Piledriver said:
Upon doing some more calling, I discovered that shops in my area are offering around 90% spot for 90% US coin.
That's good enough for me anytime.

However, they are offering only about 72% for 40% halves and foreign.
So that's what I intend to peddle.

The foreign coins can be tough, just depends on the silver content.

DarkRider23

May 31, 2011
mdockter said:
Why would you want to turn silver into fiat money? Aren't we all here saving up for the zombie apocalypse?!? I thought that’s what we all we’re doing. I’m hoarding shotguns, chainsaws, canned meat, and silver in my basement bunker.

Don't forget the bullets. :thumbsup:

azlegends said:
DarkRider23 said:
azlegends said:
weighit said:
The only guy in town offered me on Saturday $11.00 per coin for 90% silver halves, and I thought that was low. He didn't want the 40% at all. So I still have my small pile.
It amazes me how people as stupid as this guy can stay in business. How could a coin dealer not want silver?

How is he stupid if he doesn't want silver? I'm sure he knows more about his business than you do.

He wouldn't be able to sell the silver at melt value, so why buy it anywhere near melt value? $11 per coin is actually pretty damn high considering he'll only be able to sell it for $14-$15 and then he'll have to wait for the buyer to actually walk in the door. Who knows how long it takes them to sell the stuff. On top of that, he has to run the risk of silver plummeting and being worth half of what he bought the coin for just one day ago. Silver is a volatile investment and can lose or gain a great amount of value in just hours. And if he doesn't want 40% halves, then that still doesn't make him stupid. Maybe he can't sell them and has a ton of them already. Why buy more if you already have a lot of them and run the risk of them losing their value in days?

To me, it sounds like you don't have a solid understanding of how business works or how volatile silver is in today's market, but still throw out opinions like "This guy is stupid" without having any of the facts in front of you.

I don't remember asking for your opinion, but since you decided to shove it at me I will comment. Maybe this cut can't sell the 40% very well, but then maybe he isn't the best coin dealer. I don't know of a single respectable coin dealer that does not buy 40% halves, period. If your supposed to be a professional coin dealer, you should probably have an idea of where to sell the goods for a profit. I have sold to plenty of refiners and gotten well over 85% melt, but im the stupid one?

And the business owner didn't ask for your "stupid" opinion either. The fact of the matter is you are judging a person and his business off of the sole fact that he didn't take 40% halves. If you think it's so easy, then open up your own shop. Otherwise, just shut your mouth when it comes to judging a person's business. It's not your place to judge unless you know the ins and outs of it.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
40% silver is going for over 100 a roll. He has to be out of his mind if he doesn't WANT it :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Dark rider you are in the dark if you think any coin dealer holds on to junk silver!!!! They have a buyer who picks it up at least once a week. They buy anything that moves!!!!!!!!! ( if it even smells like silver!!!!!!!!!)

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
DarkRider23 said:

Zombies can only be killed by silver bullets...hence the hoarding. Vampires too. I guess....can't really go wrong with silver bullets (except Coors)...nothing is immune.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not hoarding anything. If the SHTF, the more you have, the more "they" are gonna take.
And I finally found a local dealer that won't hesitate to pay me $5 each for my 40%.
Life is good!

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
DarkRider23 said:
mdockter said:
Why would you want to turn silver into fiat money? Aren't we all here saving up for the zombie apocalypse?!? I thought that’s what we all we’re doing. I’m hoarding shotguns, chainsaws, canned meat, and silver in my basement bunker.

azlegends said:
DarkRider23 said:
azlegends said:
weighit said:
The only guy in town offered me on Saturday $11.00 per coin for 90% silver halves, and I thought that was low. He didn't want the 40% at all. So I still have my small pile.
It amazes me how people as stupid as this guy can stay in business. How could a coin dealer not want silver?

How is he stupid if he doesn't want silver? I'm sure he knows more about his business than you do.

He wouldn't be able to sell the silver at melt value, so why buy it anywhere near melt value? $11 per coin is actually pretty damn high considering he'll only be able to sell it for $14-$15 and then he'll have to wait for the buyer to actually walk in the door. Who knows how long it takes them to sell the stuff. On top of that, he has to run the risk of silver plummeting and being worth half of what he bought the coin for just one day ago. Silver is a volatile investment and can lose or gain a great amount of value in just hours. And if he doesn't want 40% halves, then that still doesn't make him stupid. Maybe he can't sell them and has a ton of them already. Why buy more if you already have a lot of them and run the risk of them losing their value in days?

To me, it sounds like you don't have a solid understanding of how business works or how volatile silver is in today's market, but still throw out opinions like "This guy is stupid" without having any of the facts in front of you.

I don't remember asking for your opinion, but since you decided to shove it at me I will comment. Maybe this cut can't sell the 40% very well, but then maybe he isn't the best coin dealer. I don't know of a single respectable coin dealer that does not buy 40% halves, period. If your supposed to be a professional coin dealer, you should probably have an idea of where to sell the goods for a profit. I have sold to plenty of refiners and gotten well over 85% melt, but im the stupid one?

And the business owner didn't ask for your "stupid" opinion either. The fact of the matter is you are judging a person and his business off of the sole fact that he didn't take 40% halves. If you think it's so easy, then open up your own shop. Otherwise, just shut your mouth when it comes to judging a person's business. It's not your place to judge unless you know the ins and outs of it.

I don't argue with ignorant people, so this will be my last response. Your entire theory of how I should keep my mouth shut is insane, because following YOUR theory, then you should have never commented on my post. So for you to say I shouldnt state my opinion is pure hipocracy. I love your fierce internet attitude though.

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy at my base says this to me, got me thinking....

You hoard your silver, I hoard guns. When silver "goes through the moon" as you say, I'll come and get it with my guns.

Ouch, so true. :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions