What Is Your Opinion of Craigslist? UpDate: I DID IT!!!!!!!!!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Just recently I tried selling and buying on Craigslist (CL).

I can't say I was impressed. I posted about 6 items that would bring good action on ebay but only have received two replies.

One was one of those ripoff guys who comes to your house but has no interest in what you are offering. He gets inside and says "I wouldn't be interested in this but do you have any pocket watches, fishing tackle, guns, bows, art glass, etc. That's the oldest scam in the book. These guys ripoff lots of elderly widows this way. Years ago some would place ads in the paper for fruit jars to get at these old ladies. Many had their homes filled with their deceased husbands goodies. The con artist would walk off with a truck full of valuables for next to nothing.

The other was the typical CL NO SHOW. You set a time to meet with him but he never shows up so you ruin your day waiting.

To me CL might be okay if one lived in a larger city where there's a lot more to offer. It's mostly a pickup and pay cash sort of thing.

As for buying I've tried about a dozen times and most won't sell to me because I'm out of their area and the others never even respond.

How's it work for you?

Badger

grumpy968

Greenie
Jan 18, 2008
Ohio
Re: What Is Your Opinion of Craigslist?

I've sold and traded lots of items on Craigslist. I traded for all of my wood working tools (table saw, radial arm saw, scroll saw, planner, sanders, etc.) I've cleaned out my garage (a couple of engines and about a dozen transmissions, not to mention all of the misc high performance parts). My wife and I made Buckeye wreaths this past Christmas and sold over 100 of them. We had to take the add down because we couldn't keep up with the orders (we shipped them as far as California).

Craigslist has been great for me.

Earl

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

I've actually done OK, buying, and selling.

Poor little old ladies... people that take advantage of them should be put in jail!

I won't even allow folks to come in and use the bathroom. Tell 'em it's broke 'til we sell this to buy the parts.

My wife let's everyone in for tea and cookies, invites them to bring their relatives over for dinner@#$%!

Only negative I've had from Craigslist is free estimates for smaller repair jobs. Bad enough that I can not do it any longer. A service call is $40, cash, and that will get you the first half hour.
Otherwise, you can spend a tank of fuel in a couple days talking with folks who are very nice, but have the first nickel they ever earned.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

grumpy968 said:
I've sold and traded lots of items on Craigslist. I traded for all of my wood working tools (table saw, radial arm saw, scroll saw, planner, sanders, etc.) I've cleaned out my garage (a couple of engines and about a dozen transmissions, not to mention all of the misc high performance parts). My wife and I made Buckeye wreaths this past Christmas and sold over 100 of them. We had to take the add down because we couldn't keep up with the orders (we shipped them as far as California).

Craigslist has been great for me.

Earl

I was hoping someone would hit me with something positive about this media.

What's the secret? I can't give away gold on there.

Do you post to several hubs?

Man, this thing sure isn't working for me so I know I'm doing something wrong (maybe several).

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

rmptr said:
I've actually done OK, buying, and selling.

Poor little old ladies... people that take advantage of them should be put in jail!

I won't even allow folks to come in and use the bathroom. Tell 'em it's broke 'til we sell this to buy the parts.

My wife let's everyone in for tea and cookies, invites them to bring their relatives over for dinner@#$%!

Only negative I've had from Craigslist is free estimates for smaller repair jobs. Bad enough that I can not do it any longer. A service call is $40, cash, and that will get you the first half hour.
Otherwise, you can spend a tank of fuel in a couple days talking with folks who are very nice, but have the first nickel they ever earned.

Thanks.

I hear you about the running all over town for nothing. Done that myself in the past.

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

As for buying, do any of you ever pay with a money order or Paypal? I'm referring to those long distance purchases out of your own area.

Badger

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet

Sheriff in Cooke County Michigan is sueing them for being the biggest prostitution ring in the State.
I wonder if they have an AIDES prevention column ??????

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

needs more hookers :-\

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

corklabus said:
Sheriff in Cooke County Michigan is sueing them for being the biggest prostitution ring in the State.
I wonder if they have an AIDES prevention column ??????

Ditto Illinois:

The Cook County sheriff filed a federal lawsuit against
Craigslist, saying the popular online classifieds site
promoted and facilitated prostitution on a huge scale.
The sheriff, Thomas J. Dart, wants the Web site to
eliminate its “erotic services” section, suggesting that
many of the section’s ads are blatant solicitations for
prostitution.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/us/06brfs-SHERIFFSUESC_BRF.html?ref=us

all have a good un............
SHERMANVILLE

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin

I use CL on occasion, I do not list a phone number or email, preferring they contact me through CL, That way I can read through/weed out many of the questionable people.

All my ads state "cash only" and one very important thing with CL replies is to toss anything sent through "gmail" right into the spam folder as the vast majority of these are people simply trying to get another email address to add to the spam they send. I also only sell local.

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250

be very carefull buying or selling on craigslist heard some bad things.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have never tried to sell anything on Craigs List. But I do purchase regularly.
My only peeve is when the sellers don't include their phone# with their ad.

I'm sorry but I am not going to jump through hoops and have to wait for e-mail to be answered by the seller and then keep checking my e-mail to see if the seller has responded, just to get a simple phone number. To me that's no way to do business. (from a buyers point of view.)

So I only purchase from the sellers that list a ph# and preferably a pic as well.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've had realtive success selling our old(outgrown) kids toys and accessories. But advertising remodeling work, unbelievable how many versions of the nigerian bank account stealing scam there are specifically written for your post.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

mclmorizfat said:
I've had realtive success selling our old(outgrown) kids toys and accessories. But advertising remodeling work, unbelievable how many versions of the nigerian bank account stealing scam there are specifically written for your post.

There used to be a link to the FBI site on the Nigerian Scam thing.

Anyway, back a few years ago the FBI estimated that those Nigerian (now all over the world) scammers rake in over $200,000,000 annually just from the U.S. of A.

They made lots of money off the various religious groups back in the early part of this century. They invited church evangelists and various business persons to Nigeria and then kidnapped them for ransom. They asked for like $500,000 but sometimes would let the person go alive for as little as $10,000. I heard most were greatly abused physically while held captive.

Due to it being something of a racially sensitive issue, I believe the media mostly kept it quiet. But again, today they are no longer working only out of Nigeria. London is another large center of world-wide scamming.

Every year, no doubt 1,000s of businesses pay them off secretly due to the embarrassment it would cause them in the media.

And too lots of people give them a copy of their passports and they use these to steal indentities. The chances are great that someone has entered this country illegally by stealing your indentity and you may never even know it.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Goodyguy said:
I have never tried to sell anything on Craigs List. But I do purchase regularly.
My only peeve is when the sellers don't include their phone# with their ad.

I'm sorry but I am not going to jump through hoops and have to wait for e-mail to be answered by the seller and then keep checking mine to see if the seller has responded, just to get a simple phone number. To me that's no way to do business. (from a buyers point of view.)

So I only purchase from the sellers that list a ph# and preferably a pic as well.

Thanks for the input Goodyguy.

However, I do feel a little reluctant to put my phone number on a Craigslist ad.

I guess any of these online deals have their risks.

Badger

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Michigan Badger said:

However, I do feel a little reluctant to put my phone number on a Craigslist ad.

Badger

If you didn't list your Ph # then maybe that's the reason for the poor results. Try it and see.
It's the same risk if you give it out to some stranger who e-mails you anyway.

If you are trying to be safer and just have small items then e-bay is the way to go. But you do have to ship out everything that way.

Craigs list is better for the large heavy items that can just be picked up at your house.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

I have had good luck buying and selling on Craigslist and even found the job I have now that I love on Craigslist....you do have to weed through all those responses from folks from South Africa wanting to send a money order though! lol

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Goodyguy said:
Michigan Badger said:

Badger

If you didn't list your Ph # then maybe that's the reason for the poor results. Try it and see.
It's the same risk if you give it out to some stranger who e-mails you anyway.

If you are trying to be safer and just have small items then e-bay is the way to go. But you do have to ship out everything that way.

Craigs list is better for the large heavy items that can just be picked up at your house.

Yes, I see what you mean. It does make sense.

I have some big nasty old tube floor radios I'd like to get rid of ;D

I've gotten some response lately but so far two people made an offer which I accepted and neither showed. I guess you just keep slugging away.

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Cynangyl said:
I have had good luck buying and selling on Craigslist and even found the job I have now that I love on Craigslist....you do have to weed through all those responses from folks from South Africa wanting to send a money order though! lol

I've heard people get good jobs off Craigslist. Good deal for you.

I think my problem is I'm trying to use CL like ebay. You know, post an item, ask for Paypal or money order (U.S. only). But, I think it's mostly a pickup on site type of thing for bigger cities.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Michigan Badger said:
Cynangyl said:

I've heard people get good jobs off Craigslist. Good deal for you.

I think my problem is I'm trying to use CL like ebay. You know, post an item, ask for Paypal or money order (U.S. only). But, I think it's mostly a pickup on site type of thing for bigger cities.

yeah, I have found most folks wanna see you and see your cash to deal on CL but works nice if it is close by.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread