What Is Your Opinion of Craigslist? UpDate: I DID IT!!!!!!!!!

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Re: What Is Your Opinion of Craigslist?

Goodyguy said:
I have never tried to sell anything on Craigs List. But I do purchase regularly.
My only peeve is when the sellers don't include their phone# with their ad.

I'm sorry but I am not going to jump through hoops and have to wait for e-mail to be answered by the seller and then keep checking my e-mail to see if the seller has responded, just to get a simple phone number. To me that's no way to do business. (from a buyers point of view.)

So I only purchase from the sellers that list a ph# and preferably a pic as well.

I can appreciate your reasons for not contacting those without listed numbers, the reason I stopped listing my number in the ads was the amount of telemarketers that got my number from the ad. Once I stopped placing my number in the ad, those types of calls all but stopped.

Unlike a regular newspaper ad that keeps a listed number in a rather small area, CL allows anybody with a connection, access to your ad and phone number.

Apologies for not clarifying my reasoning earlier. :wink:

(Here is one example of how CL can be (mis) used by marketers : http://www.craigslistextractor.com/ )

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't believe it! :o I sold something on CL tonight! :tongue3: :thumbsup:

Yes! I sold one of my 17 tube radios.

The fellow lives about 500 miles north of me and he paid with Paypal. Nice fellow and I know his area well.

I really don't know why so many stick their noses up to Paypal. Paypal backs buyers 100% They've gotten my money back for me several times when it was an obvious swindle deal.

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Cynangyl said:
Congrats! I am glad it worked out for ya!

Thanks Cynangyl.

It seems to take longer than ebay for a response but then old tube radios aren't exactly hot numbers either ;D

I tried posting on hubs way away from my area and got zero response. I've gotten several responses from my own area hub.

I have a guy off CL coming next week Friday to look at a giant 19th century model pirate ship I have.

Badger

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Blacksheep said:
Goodyguy said:
I have never tried to sell anything on Craigs List. But I do purchase regularly.
My only peeve is when the sellers don't include their phone# with their ad.

I'm sorry but I am not going to jump through hoops and have to wait for e-mail to be answered by the seller and then keep checking my e-mail to see if the seller has responded, just to get a simple phone number. To me that's no way to do business. (from a buyers point of view.)

So I only purchase from the sellers that list a ph# and preferably a pic as well.

I can appreciate your reasons for not contacting those without listed numbers, the reason I stopped listing my number in the ads was the amount of telemarketers that got my number from the ad. Once I stopped placing my number in the ad, those types of calls all but stopped.

Unlike a regular newspaper ad that keeps a listed number in a rather small area, CL allows anybody with a connection, access to your ad and phone number.

Apologies for not clarifying my reasoning earlier. :wink:

(Here is one example of how CL can be (mis) used by marketers : http://www.craigslistextractor.com/ )

Blacksheep I did not mean for my remark to be taken as being directed toward your post in particular. I understand very well why some do not list their personal info for the very reasons you cite.

I was trying to make a point about why an ad without an easy way to contact the seller would not get as much response as the ones that have the phone number listed.

Case in point 2 days ago I was looking for a backpack. There were several listed and I called the one that I liked that had a number and a picture posted I called they still had it I got the address and went and bought it. Even though I would have liked to have seen one of the brand new ones that were listed for less money but I didn't have an easy way to contact the seller. I took the easiest fastest way like most people do. Now if the ones without the number listed were the only ones available then I would have had to go the e-mail to get a phone number to call and see if they were still available then get the address way.

I would almost bet that the ads with numbers listed get 10 times more response than the same items with no easy contact.

Badger, good job on the sale. Some items just take a little longer than others but Craigs List does work.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get all my free metal scrap from CL,not to mention a big screen T.V. last week that only needed a light bulb to get it working.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Goodyguy said:
I would almost bet that the ads with numbers listed get 10 times more response than the same items with no easy contact.

This is probably true.

I've emailed 6 or 7 sellers for more info or to say I was really interested and several days later got an email back stating it had been sold the day before or something.

Lots of people look at their email once a week if they have to or not.

I wrote to one fellow once over some other issue and got an email reply 6 months later!

I still don't personally like posting my home phone number. But I will look for those while buying because that's probably the only way I'll have a chance of getting it first.

I recently missed an antique radio worth $200 that sold for $35. That seller had no phone number listed but the lucky guy with the first email won I guess. Meanwhile the rest of us keep emailing and waiting.

That's CL I guess.

Badger

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Produce Guy said:
I get all my free metal scrap from CL,not to mention a big screen T.V. last week that only needed a light bulb to get it working.

So you are the one who beat me to the big screen ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread