What kind of depth should my Excalibur1000 get on coin sized targets in wet sand

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth can vary depending on the amount of black sand, salt content, (I assume you mean depth at a saltwater beach) coil size, sweep speed, and a few other factors including amount of sens. Mostly a depth of near 10 inches with a stock coil, but others will claim 3 feet I know. I've dug many that would be well down there near 2 foot. If you are finding a lot of coins at 6 inches say, it doesn't mean that is as deep as the Excal will detect them.

For extreme depth a PI is the detector of choice, but not the best way to spend your time.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My 2004 Excalibur will hit a silver dime on its edge at 18 inches. When choosing a water detector try the iron nail and gold ring test, most detectors will discriminate the nail and gold ring while the Minelab will ignore the nail and hit the gold ring. Try it!

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a silver ring that was black from time at about 10 to 12 inches the other day.  I know it was deep because I had the volume up high and could barely hear the signal.  I know it depends on the conditions of the beach or area that you hunt like Sandman said.  Most targets seem to be from 0 down to about 6 or 7 inches.  That seems to be about the standard depth for most detectors for coin size.  My experience is when I have to dig beyond one foot down it has always been a can top.  It is one of the things that I should have known because it was very loud, almost blasted out my ears when the coil passed over it.  On the wet sand, out of reach of the waves, one time I got a faint singal that I kept digging down to at least 12 inches, maybe 15,  and turned out to be the bead from a fishing swivel.

Just as a side note, I have found two gold Figaro chains with my Excalibur 1000.  Neither one had a charm on it.  All I can remember about finding them was that when the coil passed over them it made a broken sound.  It wasn't a solid sound like a coin would make.  They both were down maybe 3 inches (just an estimate) and when I passed them under the coil later they made a different sound from when I found them. 

You are going to fall in love with your Excalibur.  You will see.  There are other great machines out there but nothing beats the iron feature.  I still have never dug a bobby pin, sparkler wire, or other small piece of junk wire or iron.  (That is running it in Discriminate mode, on 1)

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
I was on Pensacola beach last week (3 days after Hanna) with my Excalibur, and dug many good targets at 2 feet.

There weren't many targets closer to the surface - due to the sanding in of the beach and the number of other people there with detectors. I counted 15 people with detectors at one time around the Pensacola fishing pier!

The deepest we had to dig was about 3 feet - turned out to be a stainless steel prop off of a boat.

Found lots of coins, and one nice ring (none of which were near the fishing pier).

Bill

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
iv owned 4 Excal's and for me iv never dug a coin over 12".... a pop can maby 2' but not a coin.

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
Dixie Digger, thank you! :thumbsup:

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dixie Digger said:
iv owned 4 Excal's and for me iv never dug a coin over 12".... a pop can maby 2'  but not a coin.

Dixie Digger that has been my experience too.  I have found nickels and pennies at probably 8 or 9 inches, and to be honest they may have been at 7 inches and just fell deeper when I was trying to scoop them out.  They were faint signals, so I'm not sure how a coin could be heard at 2 or 3 feet, maybe the soil conditions.  The only thing I have ever dug out at over 1 foot was a piece of a can so I envy those that can pull a coin out at several feet, remember I am saying a coin not other larger objects.....maybe soil conditions can make a difference.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 12 inches was the max for my Excal on coins so far, can't swear, might go deeper and I just haven't got a coil over that target yet.......

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
could someone elaborate on the sound you receive in your headhones on a coin 12 inch deep. my limited experience with my detectors is that it would be just audible. with the wind blowing, wave action i would probably miss the target. that said, how is the iron mask circuitry at that depth? thank all for their time! b :thumbsup:

OP
OP
R

relicpro

Greenie
Jul 31, 2008
I haven't hunted with mine yet

I have air tested it and it will hit a quarter with a slight signal at 12-13 inches when the sensitivity is maxed out. However at this high of sensitivity the detector falses. Set to where the detector is stable I am getting mor like 10 1/2 inches on a quarter. Does this sound about right?? Also in some post in the past there was a book mentioned that helped explain Excalibur techniques. Does anyone know the name of this book and where it can be purchased?
Thanks for all your help
Robert

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I haven't hunted with mine yet

relicpro said:
IAlso in some post in the past there was a book mentioned that helped explain Excalibur techniques. Does anyone know the name of this book and where it can be purchased?
Thanks for all your help
Robert

Here are several titles by two of the best......

Books by Clive James Clynick ..........

Finding Gold, Silver and Coins with the Minelab Sovereign and Excalibur Metal Detectors by

ADVANCED METHODS FOR FINDING GOLD IN THE WATER WITH THE MINELAB EXCALIBUR

Books by Andy Sabisch..........

TREASURE HUNTING WITH MINELAB METAL DETECTORS

TREASURE HUNTING WITH MINELAB METAL DETECTORS 2

You can Google and find places to buy them, there are many sites that sell them....

ramfan

May 30, 2008
Myrtle Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett F250/F150
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: What kind of depth should my Excalibur1000 get on coin sized targets in wet

Wow. Great information here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread