What kind of foods do you think would be good for survival?

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
A good way to start a fire is to get a car battery and some jump leads. Attach them up, put some kindling on top of some steel wool (Brillo Pad), and then short circuit the jump leads by putting one to each end of the steel wool, and watch how that steel wool burns. LOL, it really works, try it, but don´t put the jump leads together with no steel wool between, or you´ll be arc welding.

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent advice from everyone. Ray you can also use a small battery from your detector! I spent a few nights around the camp fire with the Brits S.A.S. when I was in the army. I like Rugger's myself! Gnewt, Having an iron skillet is important to living outdoors. But make sure it is cured. You have to bake oil on to it. That puts a coating on it so it wont rust. And the iron is good for you when it gets in the food.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
mcgearhead said:
I know this is not really food but what about stuff like toothpaste, shampoo, soap, and other personal hygiene products. Do these things have a shelf life.
Most of them are safe to use for years. Like everything it´s only when you open them that they can dry out, mould, or generaly screw you up.
Wash your hair using ash from a fire, use sand or sandy mud with water to wash yourself. It´s better than soap when you get used to it. Get baking soda and keep it dry, you can brush your teeth with it, and clean most things metal too.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
mcgearhead said:
Baking soda, that's another good one.
I´m not just a pretty face (Not even that if the truth be known) LOL

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
truckinbutch said:
rayredditch said:
mcgearhead said:
Baking soda, that's another good one.
I´m not just a pretty face (Not even that if the truth be known) LOL
Aaah;but when times are extreme the prepared will be lovely to all......
Yep, especially to all those ladies the politicians will leave outside when they hide in their bunkers

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
How long do banana chips last ... ???

I hear 10 plus years if stored correctly ...

They taste great too ... :thumbsup:
Again, they have to be kept sealed, as soon as they´re open they´ll start to absorb moisture !1

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
mcgearhead said:
I know this is not really food but what about stuff like toothpaste, shampoo, soap, and other personal hygiene products. Do these things have a shelf life.

make sure that any of those items you use are unscented or they will literally be the death of you. Makeup and lipstick and scented stuff will be great for barter but stupid for use. Tobacco of any type will be great for barter and one of the first things that are looted so stock up now on cans of Bugle and other cheap brands. Get pipes and rolling papers too. For personal use or barter. Lots of folks like dip, snuff and plug tobacco. Get it now in bulk or do without. All types of hardware, needles and other useful things can be stockpiled now and nearly priceless later. Buy them used at estate sales and auctions for a dollar a flat. All sorts of hand tools ditto. Go to the big lot outlets like costco, sam's club, etc and stock up on paper towels. they have a shelf life of five years before they get crusty on the outside and it's very unpleasant to live without toilet paper. Stock up on feminine hygiene products like tampons, kotex, etc. Kotex is better because it can be used as bandages in a pinch. If you have kids hit the yard sales hard this year and buy jeans and shoes in larger sizes than you need so your kids won't be barefoot or naked when they grow. There's no such thing as a cobbler anymore so you'll either have shoes or trade heavily for them. Any tennis shoes or boots that are cheap you should buy now. You can get hundreds of pairs for a quarter or 50 cents at yard sales. To the barefoot man or woman they will be priceless later. Get them in all sizes not just what you need. Easier to trade the ones you don't want for others than trade everything you have for what you need. Go back and look at the survival threads that have already been compiled and posted here. Print them in case they go away. good luck and god bless, siegfried schlagrule

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Just about any painter has more 5 gallon buckets around than he really needs, or wants.

Most of the paint products I use these days are water based, and probably not so toxic.

Once dried, remaining product peels right out of the bucket, frequently in large pieces.

I think, once cleaned, the buckets could be used for storing packaged or canned goods in?

<I> think if they were aired out, they would be safe enough,
but would defer to anyone who thought it less than wise.

They are easy to store, bury, etc...

rmptr

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
rmptr, if they were thoroughly cleaned, I don't see a problem and you can also buy them empty for a few dollars at most places like WalMart, Lowe's, etc. or possibly get them free at various food places like restaraunts. To store some food stuff like flour, cornmeal, pasta, etc without weevils or mealy bugs, just put a few ounces of dry ice in the bottom and cover with foil. Seal the bucket almost completely, leaving a slight place for the oxygen to get out. The bugs need oxygen to survive and feed. Check out various sites for preserving with dry ice. It can also be used in an ice chest to flash freeze veggies and such w/o freezer burn.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Nails, screws, and rough planks are another good item. Most things chemical have a rather short shelf life however. But plastic or metal (Galvanised) buckets, are another good trade item and are easily stored. 5 or 10 gallon jerry cans for water and fuels (Although they too diminish with age, the petrol and fuels that is.) Glass containers and acids (Come in usefull as a sort of molotov grenade). Long wooden poles for garden implements (Can be turned ito make shift spears too)
Basically, what ever´s easy to store, move, barter, and keeps a long time. Ex. army kit is cheap, will keep you out of site, and is very robust.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
What about Meals Ready to Eat (MRE) from the Army Navy Surplus store. I think they last a long time.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
af1733 said:
Twinkies!! ;D

Lasts forever even unwrapped on a plate...

Great when left in a dark room...they glow in the dark ;D

Cripes, Now you did it! I'm gonna be sitting up all night wondering if that was a Twinkie or a Cyalume stick I ate last weekend............ Thanks loads Stefen.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
RON (PA) said:
What about Meals Ready to Eat (MRE) from the Army Navy Surplus store. I think they last a long time.
Superb, and very cheap if bought in bulk. They last way beyond their eat by date too.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Thanks Stoney!

Yes, I'd really prefer food-grade buckets... but I GOT all these latex paint 5's!

I always buy icechests that pop up at yardsales when they are cheap.

Never exactly made dry ice... Got a co2 cylinder though... from the paintball days before the boys switched to HPA. Then we had to get scuba tanks for 'em!

...sure gotta be cautious with that co2! It hurts! even with gloves on!

Best
rmptr

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Travel, Dried beans last forever! They won't get bugs if they are air tight. Perhaps the bugs were already in the beans when they were picked. I don't think anyone has yet mentioned my favorite Peanut butter and jelly! They won't really last a long time but will keep a year or two.

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Good protection for beans, peas and rice is salt . When you get ready to use them, sift the salt out and wash and most of your salt will be left for re use. Gnewt

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea on the salt! A friend told me that if you put a bay leaf in a container of macaroni or pasta that it will kill the bugs. I tried it and think that it leaves a strange flavor to the pasta. Might be just me! Don't forget to have enough things like rice to share with your neighbors. They may not be prepaired.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions