What kind of foods do you think would be good for survival?

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
TT, add 10.

Eagle, it was the expose' movie 'SuperSize Me' that kept their eye on an order of McFries for the duration of the film and ... well, nothing about them changed over a number of months.

Point being, they are just about as inert as a domino.
Why store them?
They have no nutritional value.

If you can do it, a small flock of hens is a great thing to have.
Many of us can not.

Canned tuna is one of my personal favorites, and sardines.

I'd like to learn how to bake bread in a camping situation, roughing it.

:icon_sunny:

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TT, Good site. Over the last 10 years I have found over a hundred survival sites, there are a lot out there. The one thing about rain water that no one seems to mention is that if you collect rain water in a barrel from the roof, make sure that you DO NOT have fiberglass shingles!
You can also keep smaller things in a plastic box or a ruksack for a quick bug out. And don't forget the vitam C. You can buy them like cough drops and they last several years. I also like raviolis!

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TT, About the rice and beans. Yes you are right to buy the things that you like to eat. Anything else is a waste on money. If you have acid reflux you don't need chili! BUT it would be wise to get rice even if you do not like rice because it would be a good item to give to your neighbors when they are starving because they did not think ahead. Keep friendly with your neighbors.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Keep lots of coffee filters to, as you can sieve rain water through them to get out crud, and then put a purifying tablet in.
Lots of alu foil too, although you could use mud/clay in an emergency. Dig a hole, make a wood fire in it, once it´s glowing put any meat or veg you want cooking in it, wrapped in alu foil, or caked in the mud clay, put the rest of the cinders over the top, and cover with soil (leave a small 1/2" to 1" hole at the top), and leave to cook. after about four hours (For a large chicken), the meat will be cooked.

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray, that is how native Americans and Hawaiians cook duck. Edde,good sites. I have not seen can chicken for sale for many years. TT, the oven site also shows how to build them. There are many, many oven sites on the net.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
EDDE,

I'll advise a book for you to read... can get it from your library.

'Crossing the Rubicon' by Mike Ruppert.

It's a big 'un, 600pps.

rmptr

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
The one thing to think about is every thing destroyed, you got nothing or nobody.You have your clothes on, that's it. A pocket knife and a lighter. Been that route several times. Except I don't smoke so didn't carry a lighter, I do now. Think about a weapon, make one. If you come across some wire hang on to it, cord, rope, tin cans, or glass jars, also plastic bags can be stripped for ties. Vines can be used if you don't use a square knot, it will break. I ran away from a foster home at 12, I only had my clothes I had on and a pocket knife, I did 18 miles on dirt roads. I spent the night under a wooden bridge. Next day I started grazing on what ever I could find. I did ok, but no meat or bread. Another time was a crash landing in Labrador, 14 days before they could get me out. Lots of snow, that blizzard had the animals shut down, I had 4 cracker jack box's WWII K- rations and I supplemented that with what ever I could find.
We were patrolling the Soviet Border, and went down in a Beaver High wing.
I caught ten trout every day, I never got tired of them. It was hot in the day time and cold at night, the river was fed from a snow covered mtn. I think I gained weight. I got some bread off the Kurds, looked like raw hide and just about as tough but was good, spread out on a rock to cook, they did a good job. Never saw them again. I spent 20 days there. All total I have four years living off the land, I am 81 and still around. I don't call it survival anymore, its living off the land. When I hear survival, I think about those people that get lost and wait for rescue and die.
I don't eat bugs, rotten bird eggs, grubs, worms or termites, there is other food out there. Gnewt

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Yes, EDDE, that's the one.
It's NOT a nice book.
Actually, it's off topic for this thread, but you had mentioned you read a lot...
rmptr

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
RMPT, I could tell stories about six weeks in Nam MIA and 300 mile on evasion and instinct, The Sahara Desert in Libya, Island south of Cambodia, North of the Arctic Circle, 68 days in the Everglades, a trip From East Turkey through Syria to Lebanon,
all dirt road. South Pacific islands Solomon, Tarawa and Kawagilene. But I don't want to bore any one. I have been writing a book of my life and it will probably be about seven hundred pages. I almost have it finished, but I keep remembering dates and other stuff that may be of interest and some history. It has to be edited because I am not a good writer.
Oh, I sold my Farm in Alabama today to a friend and neighbor. He had the money to pay cash but decided to get it financed and he got the money, wow I didn't think they would lend now. I stay in town during the week and go to the ranch and ramble around Sat. and Sun. I hate town. Gnewt in Texas

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Wow!

How do you survive in the Libyan desert, Gnewt?

Were you afoot?

I'd really like to hear more!

rmptr

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
50 model camel, convertable, 4 in the floor, not many live on foot.
Temp around 125 to128. Gibily sand storms come up and it will blow a pile of sand through a key hole. Gnewt

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gnewt, Awesome resume! That de Havilland, was it a pontoon job? Canadian?

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
No but it had a bad strut after landing in rocks. It was a great surveillance plane with the High wing. The only damage was the strut. It stood up but couldn't take a chance on a lift off in those rocks. Gen Harkins asked me to stay with it and they would drop me supplies, I told him I would be fine, and had good trout fishing. That triggered him and a couple of months later we went back camping for 10 days with Adm "Charlie" Brown and his chef. They took five ice chests of trout home with them.
I had to climb those Mt's. to get the ice. This was not a goof off trip, they had a meeting with the Turkish military chiefs sitting on the ground one day. I was introduced as Camp Commander and I was lower than Whale poop but incognito.
I later got my new assignment, and went into Izmir and gave the Gen who I was and what and it made no difference to him, he was a friend for life. A lesson learned,
never choose a friend by their status. They can be a King or a Bum. Gnewt

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nobody has mentioned this so I will. Bleach.
Little bit purifies water. It sterilizes things.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
You're gonna want powdered bleach... Commonly available liquid bleach loses potency quickly.
:thumbsup:

Sufficient water could be a major lifestyle problem.

If power goes out for extended period.
If delivery pipes or pumps are damaged.
If aquifer is somehow polluted.
If there is a drought.

Boiling water seems a bit more palatable than bleach, to me.
Yet there will probably be an occasion where that is not possible.

I always wanted to experiment building a simple solar still from plastic film. I should do that.
They should get you a cup or two a day for drinking.

...as Ex-military people like Ray know, it takes one canteen of water to clean your body.
It takes another to wash and rinse your hair.
A buzz cut is a wise idea under harsh circumstances!

Never had a fancy sun-shower thingy... 50ft of garden hose will do the same job, though. ;D

Best
rmptr

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
A black trash bag heats up water enough for a shower.
Have never seen powdered bleach.
AR-7 is a good thing to have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread