What kind of foods do you think would be good for survival?

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The black tea is one that I did not know about. Good one to know!

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Even here in California, the 'dry and airtight' part is difficult ...

Will definitely get some Black Tea!

Best,
rmptr

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have money to burn you might want to consider a Big Burkey. It is a water purification system that is used all over the world. The queen used one a hundred years ago. You actually can get straws with filters in them and bottles also.
On the bleach thing, make sure that the bleach has no additives to it.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
For storing stuff, I would go for those big 200 liter plastic chemical drums that are resealable. Bury them in the garden, and put a bag of dehumidifier in the bottom. Over that a plastic kitchen plate dryer rack to keep the stuff away from the liquid that will get sucked down. Once it´s sealed, there will only be that small amount of air to dry, so about a pound of dehumidifier should do. Everything else goes in tupperware, and gets put in the barrel, then sealed. Don´t just put them at home, but also places where you might retreat to in times of emergency.Small weapons go in there too.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
That IS a major concern for me, Ray...

I'm a tenant. Biggest nut to crack each month is the rent. Don't mind saying, we scrape by.
I certainly don't feel like the lone ranger!

At the whim of the landlord, we could be standing in the street...

That leaves us with the option of relying upon others who may end up in the same circumstance, or a trespass.
Sticky wicket!

Best
rmptr

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
rmptr said:
That IS a major concern for me, Ray...

I'm a tenant. Biggest nut to crack each month is the rent. Don't mind saying, we scrape by.
I certainly don't feel like the lone ranger!

At the whim of the landlord, we could be standing in the street...

That leaves us with the option of relying upon others who may end up in the same circumstance, or a trespass.
Sticky wicket!

Best
rmptr
See if you can find some free land out of the way, a canyon with a cave, or some unclaimed land in dense forest where you can build a shack (Best half in and half out of the ground, then cover the roof with turf and grass etc., so it doesn´t get noticed. Helps keep it warm in winter and cool in summer too. Better if it has a natural water source not too far away, and preferably where no one see´s you going to get water.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
;D

You are SO nice and helpful Ray!

A breathe of fresh air, truly.
(Even in this awkward subject!)

I live in California.
Left coast...

It's just about the end of the grow season.

ANY unusual activity off the beaten path is highly circumspect.
EVERYONE has a cell phone. And anxious to use it!

If anyone were seen with barrels in their vehicle they would be suspect for a meth lab.

If it's not your land, it belongs to someone else.
If not someone else, it belongs to government.

Around here we're not allowed to pass over government land.
We must pay for an 'Adventure Pass' to enter the National Forest areas.

We're technically not allowed to pick up rocks, or plants, in the forest.
Or leave anything behind.

Of course it could be done, but it would be under risk of arrest and incarceration.

Fascinating what things have come to, here.

We are also the most populous state... at any point in time someone is bound to come around the corner.
Chances are they'll have a cell phone, a camera, a deer rifle, or a badge.

Frequently the bomb squad is called out when someone discovers efforts of the Geocachers!

Obviously I'm being far too negative!
I shall desist so I don't poison this thread.

All of you folks are making good presentations.

Best
rmptr

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Then look for a rocky area down near the coast where a stream runs out to sea. Take some fishing gear with you and each time you go, take one barrel (They´ll think it´s for the fish, and won´t notice you come back without the barrel later). Find that small cave or hollow, and use rocks to barricade it up (Including the entrance to stop nosy people finding it). Each time, a little at a time, so you have that safe place. If you´re lucky, you could bury a hose pipe with a funnel on one side in the stream, and the other side in your hideaway. Either not the pipe on your side or fix a tap on it, and a bucket so you alway´s have some reserve if the stream dries out a bit. From there you can also fish, get bird eggs, and shellfish too. Sea weed is high on iron and protein as is sea grass.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
TreasureTales said:
Ray, I also live in California, but in the northern part which tends to be less populated than the area in which rmptr resides. Believe it when I say, even up here there is no way anybody could find a cave on the coast that could be a makeshift storage or survival site. There are just too many people around who are more than curious about somebody moving in and out of the area. There are houses on the cliffs above the coast, always watching the people down on the beach. There are park rangers and game wardens and sheriff's deputies and well-intending citizens to watch all the time. Cell phones have cameras, so there is very little opportunity to sneak past anybody, even in the dead of night. Better to make a stand at home and hope that our neighbors aren't too desperate.

The days of living off the land in California are 99% gone. Too many people, too much technology, and too many tattletales. Even living on the public land is outlawed. Sad but true.
Yep, I hear you, here in most European places it´s the same, but it is possible. If you reckon it´s not possible in your particular area, then group together with a few other people and BUY a small plot of land than fulfils your needs (Shouldn´t be expensive), then post and wire it, but traps and bear pit type devices around it (Ditch with iron or bamboo spikes in it, and covered over), just make sure you post "anyone entering can be met with deadly force, and that the area is unsafe". Then start to build you safe house according to how many people you´ll be housing. When it comes to the crunch, everyone will be trying to get inlaw´s, girlfriends, buddies, and the grannies budgie in there, so be prepared for conflict in these area´s too. Those that pay a stake, have a stake of so many percent (What they payed in percent, or supplied by labour or parts), and not one iota above it, or they´re out. Make that clear, and if necessary, use deadly force to enforce it. Remember, the more people you have there, the better defence force you have, but the quicker supplies will be exhausted, and the easier it is for others to notice you !!!

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
If that´s not feasable, then think about just doing something taht´s illegal !! Trespass on some godforsaken pice of ground that will fit what I´ve described, and slowly (Very slowly, build a bunker that´s at least 90% underground, or even 100% underground. Hell, if the Vietcong in Nam could do it with all the spyware then, you should be able to do it in the USA now !! The key to completing something like that is silence, stealth, and slowly, slowly. The fishing or hunting trips are ideal, but it might take years (Many months at the least) before you have it finished. Not a problem, so long as the Doomsday doesn´t come forward, and if it does, then go hell for leather and finish it quick, because everyone else will be looking after number one too. And that means most won´t be looking at you.

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to mention that it sounds like Ray has already been there. You do think ahead Ray!

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Gosh, the way folks are talking must mean survival after a great "Bad Thing".
Nuclear, biological or chemical. NBC.
No more business as we know it, no transportation, no Doctors.
You folks been watching too many "Terminator" movies.
I remember when the USA and Soviet Union were on the brink of nuclear war.
Luckily I was in grade school and did not fathom the meaning of all this.
We did our "Duck and Cover" practices and some built bomb shelters we kids could play house in.
Learned that the top water in a toilet tank would be OK to drink, but incoming water was not.
All that stuff. 5 or more years of living underground. (Brendan Frasier had a good movie about this, I forgot the name).

I was thinking about shorter term things as I really don't see this happening.

Some folks have had power outages for weeks, some have been not able to get food or even everyday needed items to them because of floods. I worked with the county and state emergency services as a ham radio operator for a couple times when this happened.

If you are talking about prospecting in remote areas and a vehicle breaks down, that's another story.
Always carry twice as much water if in a desert area and maybe a little bleach where there is water available.
Cell phones don't always work even in So. Cal. Tell someone when you will be back and to send out search parties if you don't come back. Also let them know when you do. I have been there as a search team member.
Grey

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
jimb said:
Forgot to mention that it sounds like Ray has already been there. You do think ahead Ray!
I used to be part of a unit that was designed to harass the Reds if the ever overran the western European countries.We built small bunkers and caches all over Europe, and trained lots of people in Guerilla warfare on the sly of course. Went very well until someone leaked it to the other Governments, and they had to close the unit down after political pressure from our WESTERN allies. The Dutch especially were not very happy, and the same went for the Germans, French, Italians, and Luxembourgers (Seems we didn´t get a lot of hassle of the Belgians though). Any way, I expect most of the bunkers and depots are still there, as they only found a very few of them. There´s probably still lots left from WW II also.
Another good idea that got screwed by the Liberal politicians.

OP
OP
J

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TT, I agree with you about things having changed! I grew up in the 40's & 50's and we never locked our doors. In fact I only starting locking my door about 10 years ago as I live in a small town that is growing. The site that I thought you might like to see is a site of folks that are watchers. They watch the latest news events to keep track of what TPTB are up to, since their decisions effect us all. This thread really is all over the map. But I suppose one thing always leads to another. In this event we have covered food items for every occasion from from being out of a job to the end of the world. It is all good info to know.
Ray have you ever trained in the U.S. ?
Gray, I love Blast from the past!
TT, Were not sinking yet! But I would still like to hear from folks as to what are good foods to keep for survival if needed. We still get hurricanes and earthquakes!

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
jimb said:
Ray have you ever trained in the U.S. ?
No, but in lots of other lands, like Canada, Norway, Belize (And Guatemala LOL), Bahrain, Saudi, Ireland (North (And South LOL), most of western Europe, and a good few other places. One of my other specialties was under water demolitions (Bridges, boats, piers, and infiltration).
I´ve had lots and lots of names with passports and identities (Past) to fit.
Sometimes I miss it, sometimes I don´t. Mostly log in under one name, and travel under another, as it´s a lot safer that way, you can almost always get out under the name you entered with, if they´re looking for some one else, but try changing ID´s when they´re looking for the person that entered, especially with that nice passport photo.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
As regards things like tidal waves, earthquakes, floods, etc., If it´s a big one, and affects a very large area, or something like an epidemic hits the country, help and law and order could be weeks coming. Till then you´re on your own. Plan for a single person a 3 month retreat, and then if you have friends or family that join you, divide that time with what you´ve got. Won´t last long at all, 3 persons becomes a month, 6 persons two weeks. Take two families of four into your shelter (Plus your pets !!), and your survival time is very limited indeed. It´s your decision. Those that haven´t prepared themselves, are deserving of no help from you in this situation, so keep your mouths shut and don´t lt anyone know that you have it and where it is. Otherwise when you need it, you´ll find it occupied, and lots of people fighting to take it over too, and you´ll be last in line.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Storm lanterns (Very cheap), with some oil (When you run out you can use oil from the meat fat you cook to make candles, so keep a ball of string for that) Another ball of string to make a trip wire warning system (NO BELL TYPE DEVICES), just run the string back to your hide out, leave some slack, and hang a card on it. Someone trips it, the card moves up, and you´re warned. Wire saws, and snare wire for cutting trees quietly, and snaring rabbits and hares.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread