What makes a great box?

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
I quess it is different for everyone. For me, a great box, has to be at least 100 pieces of silver and some variety, like proofs, bens and walkers. I guess a box with a single good coin could make it a great box, like a Barber in Fine condition, or some rare find. Ive gotten two great boxes since last June. I have had one Really great box, that had nearly 200 pieces of silver, bens, walkers, proofs and 2 barbers.

So, what qualifies as a Great box to you?

I know there has been a few posts of Unbelievable boxes, probably beyond anything Ill ever see. I quess the bar is raised for them.

Upvote 0

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
I'm easy to please. Even just one silver coin makes a box great. ...but I guess that's not really the answer you're looking for. ummm.....I guess for me, I great(er) box would be, say...I don't know...about 50 silver coins and/or a Barber.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my thoughts but, I would think the label of a "great" box is probably different for everyone. I think there are some variables like silver quantity....quality....variety....attitude....

If your collection book is missing that one coin and you happen to find it in a box along with a few more silvers....to me that would be a "great" box.

If you found that elusive 1970 Kennedy half (which I had yet to find) or the rare 1955 Franklin....to me that would be a "great" box.

Just my thoughts......

rayzhell

May 9, 2007
watseka, il
i was very happy with my 400.00 dollars worth i know its not a box but with 139 40% 1 90% 1 franklin it has to be something close to a great box with the extra 200 coins that would have completed a box i would have hit at least 150 silvers I'm sure so i figure most any box i get now is going to have to be great in order to beat that but ill keep looking till i find them happy hunting all and good luck

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
In general I consider a good box one that yields 1% or $5 in silver coins. Anything over 4% is a really good day. I can only think of 2 boxes over the past 3 years that I would consider fantastic, and only one was based on quantity of coins the other had an almost complete set of Walkers (no 16P,21,21d,38D).

65GT350

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I set my benchmark at 10 silvers per box. My results over the last year+ have shown this to be reasonable so any thing better is considered good. My best was 108 silvers last Aug.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I agree, 1%, or 10 silvers, or $5 in silver, however you want to call it, is what I consider a good box. However, if you get skunked on the whole box but pull out a Barber, then I mean come on...that's a pretty amazing find and that would qualify that box as great! I'd say a really good box (a notch above your average 'good' box) would be a box with 25 silvers/proofs (keepers). That's one keeper every two rolls, which in my experience doesn't happen all that often, so I'd be very happy with that. I think my best box had 97 or so silver coins, so I haven't really experienced one of those mystical 'miracle' boxes yet.

captain ahab

Jan 4, 2005
colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I am easy to please: a couple silver or a franklin or walker is good, 10+ is great. I just got done with my best $1000 so far: 27 40%, 5 90%, 2 franklin and 1 walker - I loved it!

Though it gets to feeling like a quest sometimes... it is still just a fun hobby!

good luck to all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread