What mode do you guys use to get just coins?(Everyone answer!)

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Hey guys. Yes i am still experimenting with modes. I think i found a mode on which works for me. But i need other modes so i can test it out. Please tell me how high ur sensitivity is set to as well as ur discrimination. I don't care if you have a tracker IV or not. I am just wanting to find out the best way to get coins. The reason i am asking this is, I am hunting an old 1922 school and need some modes to test out before i go on the trip this weekend. Because last time I didnt do so well up at that place because i was still testing with modes. I would like to do a LOT better this time because i really do belive that kids dropped their coins there. When it was open in the 1920's. I want a mode which best suits you for detecting as many coins as possible while avoiding iron objects. Since i dont have school on friday I am testing out the modes. So please no matter what detector you have to answer this question. Include your sensivity and discrimination. Thanks everyone! ;D I would like answers by this weekend if possible. ;D

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am sorry m8 .. my MD is a very cheap one ,, no moods to set it on ,, but when i come home i will get a new better one.

USTiger

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grid pattern, place 2 stake 10 feet apart then place 2 more 20 feet away,(in a rectangla shape)set your disc.low(just above foil) and sens. low. so you dig shallow targets clean the area out ,then turn the sens. up repeat and rinse.... ::)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fastest way to do this is to lay various coins down on a piece of ground that has no targets and turn up Sens. as high as you can without the machine talking back. Start with the Disc. low and at a set height, sweep it slowly over the nickle. Turn up Disc. till the nickel makes no sound and then back it off till it just sounds off. You shouldn't pickup anything like pull tabs or most gold rings this way.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what i ment sandamn ran out the door for work was in a hurry forgot the to type the rest

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's ok dekalb33. I don't work anymore. Never did catch on to doing it well or often and really enjoy doing nothing.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
All detectors are different.....the "coin garden" method is the easiest at getting your best general settings. Include it all......tabs..cans...bottle caps....copper pennies....real silver....and use your wedding ring for gold....everything usually will give you a different reading or sound! Practice; practice; practice!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i would use the preset coins mode on my gti 2500 if coins were all i was after. of course, i like to find jewelry as well so what i do is i use a custom preset with no discrim at all except the last two notches on the left are tuened on to reject iron. i dig a lot of trash this way but at least i dont have to worry about missing stuff. even though it slows me down, ive found a lot more cool stuff since i started doing this.

J

john7734

I dig it all especially on the beaches

It is good exercise ( heart condition) and it helps with cleaning the beach.

I dig it all other places to I like relics.

found a couple coins by going both ways you know criss cross

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I am not familiar with your detector it is hard to answer your question. On my Garrett, just discriminate everything on the left side of the icons and you are set for just coins. But an occasional lid or aluminum bit will always show, very hard to discriminate bits of aluminum. Set this way you will find mostly clad or silver and pennies but you probably will miss gold and /or nickels, so it would be hard for me to recommend this setting for general hunting. I sometimes go "quartering", in a place I know has a lot of clad. Discriminate everything out but dimes, quarters and halves and you will find mostly dimes and quarters with an occasional penny and rarely a half dollar. Same disclaimer as the first suggestion. Monty

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Never really used the BH but try the disc at around 4 and the sens at 6-8. Dig any signal that's repeatable in at least 1 direction. You might still get a large piece of iron once in a while but you might also suprise yourself with a bit of gold now and then. HH!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mode? I would ask why you only want to find coins? Would you really want to pass over a $5000 ring? When I hunt I usually don,t discriminate out items above the nickle /gold range, sometimes I allow quite a bit of iron. How? Answer: The Minelab Explorer II. I can set it up to find only one thing or block only one thing. I can set the iron rejection, or learn samples of good targets and trash. The hardest thing for me is remembering how and what to set up for the area I am hunting. So my answer to your question is first Why?, Then discriminate or notch whatever you need to. Do realize that foil, tin and other trash will show up as coins occasionally. The best you can do is get the odds in your favor by using a good set up and keep swinging. ;)

Ed Donovan

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must become one with your detector, an extension of your arm, learn what it's telling you ;D and listen closely to what it has to say.

HH NS

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
On my Ace250, I've used the "coin" mode, but feel that I may be missing some good stuff. I now use a "custom" mode in which I've just set to "notch out" the lowest notch -- this avoids most rusty nails, but pings on everything else. I then go by the tones. I tend to ignore the "boops", go after the "beeps" and "dings." (This tends to ignore all iron, gets me a lot of junk, but also doesn't miss coins or rings.) I also tend to set the sensitivity at 3-4 (out of 8.) Doing this in the custom mode saves these settings when powered off, so I don't have to do all the resetting the next time I power on.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born2Detect is right on as always. When I coin hunt, I dig everything from foil up as you never know what the detector is trying to tell you. Things that I thought were foil for sure have turned out to be thin White gold rings with stones. You just never know for sure.

HH,
Sandman

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
Fastest way to do this is to lay various coins down on a piece of ground that has no targets and turn up Sens. as high as you can without the machine talking back. Start with the Disc. low and at a set height, sweep it slowly over the nickle. Turn up Disc. till the nickel makes no sound and then back it off till it just sounds off. You shouldn't pickup anything like pull tabs or most gold rings this way.

Yep. I don't want to miss any Buffs so I don't select above a nickel, and I use a nickel to verify that. I get lots of foil, tabs and bottlecaps (which I can usually guesstimate because of the "clicks" if swept at varying angles), but I've found silver chain and lockets that I was convinced were trash so I accept the down-side. If you want just coins set the sensitivity high and sweep fast, digging only the round tones. (My Musketeer Advantage has no display so it's all about the sounds).

NH Bob

Jan 22, 2007
NH
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
You are asking a question that if the answer was known we wouldn't need but one coin machine on the market.
Set Discrimination to except nickels as someone stated before and dig all clean repeatable signals until you know your machine. Its that simple or hard depending on you.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Sandman said:
That's ok dekalb33. I don't work anymore. Never did catch on to doing it well or often and really enjoy doing nothing.

Thats funny... so you always operate in "retirement" mode... ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread