Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1} Go to beach with Excalibur2, search for a few hours, head back to truck
2} Place stealth scoop in bed of truck
3} Place excalibur 2 against rear driver side tire
4} Remove jacket, place jacket in vehicle
5} get in vehicle and head home
6} After driving 30 minutes toward home, realize you left excal2 against tire and drove off
7} Begin full blown panic, especially since beach was busy and many cars in parking lot
8} Pull off next exit, press gas pedal to floor and race back to beach
9} Make sure to get stuck behind abnormally slow drivers, this will help ensure maximum stress level
10} Arrive back in parking lot , spot excal 2 STILL THERE on ground
11} Cancel 911 call for near heart failure

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Go buy a freakin' lottery ticket!

Glad it worked out. I know the panic.:occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your story hits home, but mine was not at a busy beach, but rather a busy football practice field. I did not realize my error for over an hour.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very good ending turn of events... very fortunate.

Many years ago (maybe 18+) I bought my wife a diamond necklace, bracelet and ring set for Christmas. The set cost thousands of dollars then. I had it all gift wrapped, put in bag and left the store. I stopped at something called a "pay phone" to call home just outside the crowded mall exit. It was broad daylight in the afternoon. I made my call home, hung up and left. I went to car and drove about 5 miles away leaving town. Suddenly the light came on.... I LEFT THE BAG ON TOP OF THE PHONE BOOTH!!!!!!!!!!!! I did a u-turn and headed back. And as would be expected I hit every light red. It seemed like it took 10x's longer to get back. I drove straight up to the fire lane, stopped and hopped out. I went around the exterior wall to the booth and.... THERE WAS MY BAG sitting on top of the phone casing!!!!!!!!!!! Someone was on the phone also but the bag was still there amazingly. I got so lucky that day as YOU DID!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very, very lucky. I have read of others on this board who havent been so lucky or knocked the detector over and then backed over it, so my detector is always always the first thing that goes in and I don't take it off my arm until I am setting it in the trunk. Only then does the scoop and anything else go in. Even with that I haven been known to get out and check to make sure everything is on board.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your story had a happy ending. My brother once leaned his shotgun against his car and drove off. When he got back, it was gone.

I now use this rule; if it's a my gun, fishing rod or detector - put it away in the car first. I know it's easy to say but not always easy to do.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha- - Rookie.

Try all the above but add, run over detector while backing up.

Then make the mistake of listening to your inner voice saying, "it's just a soda can, drive on"

Run over detector again.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha- - Rookie.

Try all the above but add, run over detector while backing up.

Then make the mistake of listening to your inner voice saying, "it's just a soda can, drive on"

Run over detector again.

You are so right G.I.B.

I had just received my F75 LTD SE back from the DST upgrade for 2 weeks back in 2015. Well on a Friday, I took the afternoon off so I could dirt fish. After hitting a couple sites in the town where I work, I decided to hit the town were I reside. I figured I'd hit the grassy areas around the football field, where they park cars for the Friday night games, and have been doing so forever. As I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed about 20 cars and a half empty Gatorade bottle lying on it's side in the lot. I pulled into a spot nearest the Gatorade bottle. I hunted for about an hour and thought I'd better get home for dinner. I set the detector against the van on the passenger side and then I removed all the other gear and put in the rear of the van as I've done a hundred times before. I close the rear door, walk around and get in the van. As I backed out I heard a noise and just figured I ran over the Gatorade bottle. I drove home and ate dinner, and decided I'd wipe down the detector. I went to the van, opened the rear and "NO DETECTOR". Oh :censored:, I am such a dumb :censored:. I drove that 2 miles, speeding all the way. As I pulled near the parking lot, I noticed all 20 cars had gone. I believe the FB team was working out in the weight room at the field. I then pull into the lot and see 2 things. The pristine Gatorade bottle and my injured F75. I only ran over part of the Battery Housing, I counted my blessings and had a sense of relief and a new found appreciation for living in a small town in the Midwest among all these honest people. I was so glad no one took it nor did they run it over. I hope your's wasn't much worse.

I hope this post give you some solace, you are not alone, I am sure we aren't the only two.

Glad to say I only ran mine over once. :tongue3:

Last edited:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of the time I went fishing with my new Crowder 8' rod. Backed out the condo door as I tried to close the door and poof...... I had brand new 7' rod!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I have been lucky...

I have never left anything on a vehicle other than a drink.

But roughly 2 years ago I somehow lost a 580... no clue how... it had a lanyard and everything...
Twas as if I was pinpointer pickpocketed...

I went to grab to use it and was kneeling down scraping sand... and reached to grab... and grab... and grab...
I look and was like WTF... I immediately stood up in a panic and scanned my trail.

Retraced steps multiple times back to vehicle... to the point I thought I left it at home...

Got home... nothing... poof.
a mystery.
-----------------------
EXCERPT FROM MY NEW BOOK PROJECT... :)

"I sobbed like a mop just removed from a full bucket... That pinpointer was like an old warm friend to me... so many times at the bars together... at the mall... so many intimate moments...
I tried to contact the show "unsolved mysteries" but no one there understood my pain... so I just began to roam random beaches in hopes tidal currents would wash it back to me.
I was not the only one affected by my great and massive loss...
My detector was also sad and would not take a charge... and the knobs became loose and fell off and would begin falsing anytime a target eluded me.

But as time went on and all hope faded... an angel posted a suggestion via a great website called TreasureNet, a place where dreamers and doers meet to discuss the finds of their days, and others just troll and watch.
The angel spoke in text that shown like gold doubloons in the sun...
He said...

"Call KellyCo and ask for a Stevie Ray".

From that moment on I knew I had more purpose in life and that maybe... just maybe... I shall detect as a whole person again.

:P ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least Loco digger felt my pain :P

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The worst I have done (So far, hopefully) was misplace my pinpointer. I hit a few spots and the last one I couldnt find the pinpointer. I looked all over for the damn thing. Until I realized before I hit the last spot, I went home and sure enough, it was sitting on my work bench. My wife thought I had lost my mind and so did I. I looked for that thing for 2 hours only to find it at home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions