What should I say to metal detect on pvt property?

CivilWarSaver

Sep 28, 2017
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Technetics Delta 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 2

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just ask they are either going to say yes or no. Just make sure that you careful with your plugs if you get permission Try to leave the property so they never knew you were there.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell them you are neighbors and that you cover your holes. Good hunting and good luck.

achetadomestica

Feb 5, 2017
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! I am the 13 year old kid that Metal Detects at my grandparents house that has civil war relics. Also I live close to a house that was made in 1796 in TN that is still owned by the family. How should I say to them that I want to metal detect on their property. Thank you!

First of all get real good at digging a plug and putting it back without a trace. I always like to have my kids with me when I ask but
you are a kid so you got that working for you, I simply ask the owner and always assure them you won't even know I was there and
I make sure they can't see the plug. I have asked about 10+ people and one said no and one said wait until June because the person
loaned their bull out and they didn't want anyone on the property when the bull is there. Everyone else said yes, one guy said yes but
you won't find anything. I found a 1907 barber dime and told him and he was thrilled for me!
Good Luck and if they say no try again next year, your age is a definite plus.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say that donald trump sent me

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will often times offer to help people with yard work and then say I am very interested in detecting. Ill tell them exciting stories of what can be found, and offer to split the finds. Hope you post some keepers!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You only get one chance to make a first impression, so make it count! You sound like a respectful, polite youngster...so who could say no to that!?...as others have said, practice those plugs, be respectful of others' property and do not dig in extremely dry ground...that's definitely a recipe for dead grass and none of us want that. I really wish I had started at 13 years old! Let's see...It would be 1977 and I'd be sporting a mullet and a boom box...hmm on the other hand...but whatever happens, good luck and make sure to thank your hosts and post your goodies! Ddf

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, what dirtdiggin fool said. And just make sure you dress the part when you first meet. No camo. Remember, you're selling yourself. Use the neighbor association also.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, 13 years old,, that's great.
Start with a smile, a handshake, and an introduction.
Let them know that you are from the neighborhood and that you're really interested in history and trying to save relics of the past. Make them participate in the conversation by complimenting them on their property and by asking them how old their house is. Ask if anyone has ever metal detected on their property before and show them a silver dime or bullet you may have found on neighboring property. Then ask if it would be okay to check the backyard with your metal detector.

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell them if you find a big diamond ring you will split it with them. If they say someone already has then tell them every detector is different. I have cut brush and cleaned gutters to get good with folks. I've got permission from a lady in town and there was an old store on her backyard. We've dug 5 silver dimes out total. we got to talking about her trees and I told her we would come back in the fall and clean her gutters. Once we do that and she is all buttered up we are gonna try to get her to let us detect more of the yard. Another word of advice... don't do gutters, do something else. Some folks are gonna say no. Don't let it get you down but I try to have a one liner or two in my head if they say no. Tell them "you won't even be able to tell I was here"... or maybe ask if you could just detect one area, like a sidewalk or driveway or under an old clothes line or around an old barn or in the field. I found my oldest coin in a early farm field far from a house. Most people wanna say yes even the ones who say no. Some just need a little nudge. Don't be pushy though. Let them finish talking and all that stuff.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said make sure you can leave no trace when cutting a plug. We cut a 3 sided square with a spade & fold back the turf, but I know you guys use a tiny knife, so what is important is not only your pin-pointing to avoid misery but you need to leave the root-ball attached so the grass grows back. I'm so careful I've dug many 1 metre x 1 metre by 1.2 metre deep holes looking for Roman remains & when it all goes back, they have no clue.
You have youth on your side, so here is what you need to do;
Be honest - No.1
Do a little more research on the house & tell them about it. This establishes your interest in History, make it very clear about how you love History.
Make sure you tell them that you are fairly new to detecting & that you don't have very many places to go.
Tell them you're a collector of your finds & you don't sell them for money.
Personally what works best for Dad & I is that we have build a huge amount of trust with all our land-owners & this can only happen 1 way. Its by promising to show them all that you find even if it were a gold coin. This WILL make you stand out from the others & it has never back-fired on us. We have people ask us to do their land now. If you want to go one step further, state that you will share some of your finds, but as your a collector you would want first pick on all finds.
Although your a collector you may find an item or a hoard which is so valuable that you would have to sell it & you would be willing to spit it 50/50.
So, if you want people to 'trust' you, you need to give them a good first impression, by doing the above.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS. What your trust building activity does is start to build a relationship with these owners. This is important for return visits & if you ever upgrade your machine, believe me you will want to return.
Make sure that have given them your full name & tel no. This means that when they are talking to others about your interest they can contact you. I can tell you this will start to happen if you build those relations. Because part of showing them all the finds means a revisit after cleaning & research. You're not only sharing your passion but your knowledge. When they tell their friends about the experience, a little light bulb will go off in their head & they will think; 'I have on old property I wonder whats on it' You will then start to get invites, that's how you build an Empire.

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always stand 5 to 6 feet away from the person, or their front door. Do not invade their personal space. Always smile, and as I start to explain what I do for a hobby, I am handing them one of my business cards. This usually puts the person at ease. Make sure you tell them you will not dig big holes, and that you carry a pouch with you to put the trash in, and will haul it out with you. Show them anything interesting, and offer it to them. Most people will tell you to keep anything you find, as they didnt know it was there to begin with. Carry a towel or piece of cardboard to put the dirt on, then put it back in the hole and make sure you do not leave the yard a mess, or they will tell neighbors who may have also let you look in their yards. Ruining one yard, could kill a potential city block of properties if you live in an old area. I have a 95 % success rate with door knocking. It will take you a couple of times to get use to asking. You are 13 and have a better potential than most of us adults ! Who can resist a kid ?

Last edited:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Young man, you have received much wise counsel in the previous comments. Do as others have suggested and you will begin to acquire enough permissions to keep you quite busy for many years to come. Being in your neck of the woods means recovering some cool old civil war relics. My number one concern for you is digging plugs. ONLY hunt private permissions when there is enough moisture in the soil to keep the grass growing. Digging in dry crumbling soil will kill the grass leaving ugly brown spots and cause potential removals from property gained.

You sound like a fine young gentleman. Display yourself as you have done here showing respect and honor toward the property owners and you should do well. Get out there now and score some permissions and show us the cool stuff you score there!:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread