Indiana
Detector(s) used
Had: Tesoro Silver Umax.
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Have: Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im new to the forums and kind of new to metal detecting I was wondering what a good upgrade would be for my Bounty Hunter Tracker II and Whites Coinmaster ( Not a Coinmaster Pro ). I really liked my Bounty Hunter but I want something that detects deeper targets. The Bounty Hunter doesn't detect very deep I usually get coins at 2-4 inches. I dont like my Coinmaster it doesn't have different tones and I dont think its easy to use. I often get beeps that I cant find again and if i manage to get a repeating beep its difficult to pinpoint because my yard is so trashy that the pinpoint detects other objects when I use the Pinpoint/All-Metals feature. And the target identification display on the front isnt very accurate. I bought the Whites Coinmaster to upgrade from the Bounty Hunter but i dont think its better than the Bounty Hunter. I want something that costs less then $270. I was thinking about getting the Garrett Ace 250 but there are many reviews that say its really good and competes with higher costing metal detectors and other reviews that say it is a kids toy and they wouldnt buy it for $50. What do you guys recommend?

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a garrett ace foil-50 and I am upgrading to a tesoro silver umax. when I purchased the ace 250 I read reviews and was sucked into thinking it was a good machine. i have about 100 hours on mine and I am now getting a lot of false signals. first reads as coin, dig a bit and it becomes foil....

OP
OP
Dan1033

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tesoro doesnt look like its capable of a lot but ill read about it thanks

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really only two machine that come to mind and they are both from Tesoro. The Compadre and the Silver uMax. I'd opt for the latter.

They don't get much easier to use and they'll run circles around any vdi machines in a similar price range.

IMO the Ace series isn't an upgrade. I've used em plenty and they're pretty much worthless plus it has got that re-tarded bing bong bell tone sound.. I also have a Coinmaster Pro, it's equally worthless.

For your price point you have 2 options. Get one of the Tesoros or stay frustrated!

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay far far far away from the ace series. I for suckered into one, and well say after 6 month I was upgrading.

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro ACE 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How long have you used the 250? I have one and yes foil does sometimes read as coins. Very corroded iron does read,as silver. But after using mine for many hours and studing the readings, I am able to distinguish false from true readings. Even when you have eliminated the targets you want to dig you still have to look at the screen. If it is bouncing back to iron on a silver siginal it is most likely iron. Do you get a coin singal from both ditections? If so dig! When you get a coin signal, after reading from both directions and it pinpoints several inches from the imaginary X then it is probably trash.
If you don't want or have the time to invest learning your machine then I'm not sure you will ever be happy with any of them. I don' know many people who can play piano proficently without first understanding the basics..
When they make make a machine that screams out " Walking Liberty dig here!" It will most certainly be the best selling machine out there. Not sur that's ever gonna happen.
Just keep digging, pay attention to your readings and silver at 6-8" will soon be in your treasure pouch. I'm just a newbie but thought I'd pass on a few things that have worked for me.

OP
OP
Dan1033

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys have helped a lot. I think I will get the Tesoro Silver Umax its similar to my Bounty Hunter that I really like and has a ton of positive reviews from different sites.

OP
OP
Dan1033

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does the Tesoro silver Umax have different tones? On some websites it says the Tesoro has a silent search mode what is that? Anyone actually use the Umax i want to know personal experience with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread