Shadow X2, Shadow X5, Teknetics Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been noticing quite a few x-5's for sale over the past few months...not a good sign to me.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the X5 was based off a Fisher unit?

"Troy’s new design is being assembled, tested and warrantied by Fisher Research Labs"

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Troy used other companies to make his machines for him. First Tesoro, then for the X3 and X5, Fisher. They built them but didn't design them. Though most liked the Shadows and Troy continued to offer repairs at a set price for quite some time eventually this service ended and worry re repairs and a lack of coils caused many to move on to other detectors. Nearest U.S. detector is the Tejon which always had a price advantage and a similar performance though the Shadow had the plus of more balanced performance over the whole conductivity range. Shadow had the better build quality, Tesoro the better range of coils at lower prices and the lifetime warranty for those in the States.

Allcav

Jun 14, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to let all of you know, that Troy can do some repairs. He asks up front for $137.00. He cannot get a lot of parts for his machines and is very limited on what the $137.00 can do. First Texas DOES NOT honor Troy's lifetime warranty on the X3 and X5.
We will honor the the lifetime warranty on the X2. However, when we run out of parts for them, its up to Troy to purchase them for us. I do not think he will do that. We do not make the coils for him anymore, but we can repair them. Certain items like his coin check button is very limited to us. Once they run out, they run out.

Oh Yeah, Our Tejon is better than the X5 but it would be the closest to it in our line up!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shadow

Greenie
Apr 8, 2012
Kingston Ontario
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2, Shadow X5, Teknetics Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Robert. That was the information I was looking for.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Europe we had a £65 or £69 sterling repair offer from Troy which was in my view very good. The forum disappeared from his site and then there were a few asking where they could get their X3/X5's repaired and the e-mail address had ceased to work (I don't count the Tesoro made X2 because its more Tesoro then anything else).
There's no reason why Fisher should honour Troy's warranty. Why would they ?

For most the lower price and far better range of coils of the Tejon suited better. But there's also many comparison reports where the X5 came out much better, especially for relic hunters so it wasn't just the superior build quality that convinced people to pay the extra. I loved the build, finish and depth but did have mineralised sites where it wasn't the best but everyone should try one if they can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread