What the hecks on my leg

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yep -deer ticks are so small and they carry lyme disease too.

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, fast tracker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yes get it checked out, lyme is not something you want.. I have had it three times with bad sever symptons and my GF had it twice.. Just a note, ever find a red bump with no entrance hole at the top, get that checked too and don't wait.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let he do yor take it off so it isnt destroyed, then they send the tic to the lab.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What area of the country do you live in? Was it a deer tick (very tiny) or a Rocky Mountain wood tick/North American dog tick?

If it was a larger tick Lyme isn't an issue but you will still have to worry about Rocky Mountain spotted fever. It isn't isolated to that area of the country.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been bitten by dozens if not more deer ticks while hiking and hunting in the woods. I get a sore bump that irritates me for a few weeks and goes away. I almost always find them and rip them out within 24 hours of being bitten. I have been tested and never got any Lyme disease. In general if you get them out within 48 hours of being bitten you won't get Lyme. Wood ticks don't really pose the same Lyme threat as deer ticks. After removing the parasite treat the area with alcohol, and then some good antibiotic cream. Western wood ticks do pose the threat of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, but it is really rare in the east or south.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions