Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend who says precious metals are a waste of time and money he wont invest in them yet he will go looking for them at thrift stores and estate sales and I would say he spends a good 10 to 15 hours a week coin roll hunting investing his time seems like he invests in Silver. No one knows what the future holds you can predict it somewhat by whats happened in the past but we live in a much more unstable enviornment that ever. Would those same people rather have a candy bar than stocks that were doing well LOL When the Candy bar is gone I have my Ammo. lol

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
A2,
The powers that be, have been very successful in getting the general public to a place where these Federal Reserve Notes are considered money.
Back in the 1880's, $2,000 in gold coin (100 - $20 gold pieces) could get a ranch, with staff, and animals.

In the process of trying to keep the appearances of a strong dollar, gold and silver have been artificially held down a lot, and for a long time. They are and have been coiled springs ready to explode to the upside, just to reach balance.

That same ranch would take anywhere from 500 to 1000 - $20 gold pieces (or about 1 to 2 million) today.
The ranches have not gone up in value, the dollar has lost purchasing power. I would say today's dollar is worth less than a penny. Now why on earth would anyone want to save their earnings in the form of Federal Researve notes or their computer counterparts? It pretty obvious that that the dollar is on its way to zero.
So are the other currencies. Not gold and silver.
Idahodutch

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A2,
The powers that be, have been very successful in getting the general public to a place where these Federal Reserve Notes are considered money.
Back in the 1880's, $2,000 in gold coin (100 - $20 gold pieces) could get a ranch, with staff, and animals.

In the process of trying to keep the appearances of a strong dollar, gold and silver have been artificially held down a lot, and for a long time. They are and have been coiled springs ready to explode to the upside, just to reach balance.

That same ranch would take anywhere from 500 to 1000 - $20 gold pieces (or about 1 to 2 million) today.
The ranches have not gone up in value, the dollar has lost purchasing power. I would say today's dollar is worth less than a penny. Now why on earth would anyone want to save their earnings in the form of Federal Researve notes or their computer counterparts? It pretty obvious that that the dollar is on its way to zero.
So are the other currencies. Not gold and silver.
Idahodutch
I agree 10000 percent

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Somewhere before the dollar reaches zero, gold and silver will spring back into balance. At that time (probably soon) there will no amount or pile of dollars big enough to then trade for gold or silver. You will be at their mercy. And I don't ever want to be at their mercy any more than I already am.
Idahodutch

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EQ8,
There is something else besides money that quite possibly might be a good to have extra of for purposes of exchange.
Ammo . . I do my own reloading, and thanks to our last president, I ended up with a little, it's ok, ammo lasts a long time.

I don't get why some folks get weirded out about, if someone want to have their savings in gold and silver. It's like they think everyone should be putting their savings into the markets, instead of saving it. If folks want to invest, I would recommend having a savings first, and only invest what you can afford to lose, because investing is gambling. Finance people just don't like calling it that. This is just opinion, please feel free to have a different one. I'm very ok with that.
I just don't like seeing hard working folk, talked into investing their savings just because they didn't know it was a gamble.
Sincerely, Idahodutch

Your position is weakened when you misrepresent actual investing as "gambling". That is simply untrue. Gambling (whether cards, lottery tickets, 50:50 raffles, etc.) are chances based upon probability theory. There are "odds" involved with gambling - and those odds only favor the gambler in few instances - such as when one's skill in identifying probabilities exceeds those of competitors (such as in poker or blackjack, etc.).

Buying a share of a company is not, by definition, gambling. Many activities can lead to real losses, but that alone does not qualify those activities as gambling. Words have meaning. Most people consider PMs to be a form of speculation. Some in this forum seem to consider it to be a part of a prepper activity. That is fine as long as it is honestly represented. But for most people, their hard-earned money will only buy them a comfortable retirement if they invest by owning shares of businesses. I could never have retired had I not learned at an early age (and on my own) over 50 years ago how to invest and then using my own hard-earned money to buy portions of good companies. In 2019, those investments earned me nine times as much as I ever earned in a year working for others. I have some silver and gold too, but unlike my dividends, it earns me nothing. Perhaps it might have some value in a SHTF situation, but that is unknown.

Last edited:

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
For one that would bury his/her savings in a Mason Jar... buy gold. If you prefer growth, increased value, or performance, perhaps other investments would be better.

g

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EQ8, please post by our rules, keep politics out of all forums except our politics forum.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
For one that would bury his/her savings in a Mason Jar... buy gold. If you prefer growth, increased value, or performance, perhaps other investments would be better.

g

G,
How much savings do you have?
2 weeks living expenses? Month? 6 months?

How much do you have tied up with bets in the markets?

When your bets fail, you'll be looking to me with your hand out,
If you don't have a fallback plan.

How much debt do you carry?
Do you have car payments? If so, why is that?
Don't you ever save for stuff?

Normally I would not waste my words, but just a few posts away from next posting level, so I don't mind. Besides, maybe someone will think about their situation and decide to make some changes.

And, Better - would being able to get what you need without being at some bankers mercy to get it.
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Your position is weakened when you misrepresent actual investing as "gambling". That is simply untrue. Gambling (whether cards, lottery tickets, 50:50 raffles, etc.) are chances based upon probability theory. There are "odds" involved with gambling - and those odds only favor the gambler in few instances - such as when one's skill in identifying probabilities exceeds those of competitors (such as in poker or blackjack, etc.).

Buying a share of a company is not, by definition, gambling. Many activities can lead to real losses, but that alone does not qualify those activities as gambling. Words have meaning. Most people consider PMs to be a form of speculation. Some in this forum seem to consider it to be a part of a prepper activity. That is fine as long as it is honestly represented. But for most people, their hard-earned money will only buy them a comfortable retirement if they invest by owning shares of businesses. I could never have retired had I not learned at an early age (and on my own) over 50 years ago how to invest and then using my own hard-earned money to buy portions of good companies. In 2019, those investments earned me nine times as much as I ever earned in a year working for others. I have some silver and gold too, but unlike my dividends, it earns me nothing. Perhaps it might have some value in a SHTF situation, but that is unknown.

Howdy Megalodon,
I never said that investing is bad. Just saying that investing ones savings that are earmarked for hard times, should not be used for bets.
All investments are a gamble, because whether or not advertised, there are odds involved for the return. Odds of going going good or bad. Plenty of folk lost with great odds.
Still a bet.
Now that said,
I too have investments. Right now they look very good, but things can and do happen.
No matter the odds.
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Megalodon,
How much longer do you think it will be safe to have resources in the markets today, not 50 years ago.

Finder Bear

Mar 20, 2019
Newton KS
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man this is some threat lol, Ill go out on a limb and attempt to answer the OP from a "non investor" mindset as I'm still trying to get out of debt so I'm following the Dave Ramsey plan. If I were to have money in my pocket I would buy a boat load of 90% junk silver coin, I say this because you will get more actual metal weight without the premium than you will with any "pretty" coin of either metal. If your doing this purchase from an "investment" standpoint the premiums are going to make or break the deal at buy and sell time. Just my thoughts!

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Man this is some threat lol, Ill go out on a limb and attempt to answer the OP from a "non investor" mindset as I'm still trying to get out of debt so I'm following the Dave Ramsey plan. If I were to have money in my pocket I would buy a boat load of 90% junk silver coin, I say this because you will get more actual metal weight without the premium than you will with any "pretty" coin of either metal. If your doing this purchase from an "investment" standpoint the premiums are going to make or break the deal at buy and sell time. Just my thoughts!

Finder Bear,
Good post, and a good plan.
The only debt we have is our mortgage, which all in is $604 per month.
When we actually retire, we plan to pay it off. Right now, it certainly is not a stress for us.
We downsized a couple of years ago that made that low payment possible.
Dave Ramsey is good, but his investment advice is 20 years too late. Not for today's scene imho.
Idahodutch

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Megalodon,
How much longer do you think it will be safe to have resources in the markets today, not 50 years ago.

My crystal ball is in the shop now, but I intend to remain nearly fully invested. I do have cash in money market funds and CDs for emergencies and buying opportunities. I think the challenge today is to be very selective and not to leap in blindly. While the "market as a whole" is certainly high on the basis of P/E, there are always some companies that are undervalued by various value metrics. They are my focus, along with reliable dividends. I'll continue to buy on dips that are too compelling to ignore (of course, I have and may continue to miss out on some good companies by waiting too long, but that is ok).

At these valuations, I think the best investment is to pay off any debt. I've been debt-free for many years but low interest debt can be ok if it helps to reduce taxes and/or to take advantage of real estate opportunities.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Curious why you’d buy such a lousy investment such as silver (snore) just to sell later on?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good for you! At today's valuations, paying down and eliminating debt is the very best investment you can make. Start with the highest interest rate loan and work your way to the lowest. If you must use a credit card, use only a cash reward card and pay it off immediately. Never carry a balance.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
My crystal ball is in the shop now, but I intend to remain nearly fully invested. I do have cash in money market funds and CDs for emergencies and buying opportunities. I think the challenge today is to be very selective and not to leap in blindly. While the "market as a whole" is certainly high on the basis of P/E, there are always some companies that are undervalued by various value metrics. They are my focus, along with reliable dividends. I'll continue to buy on dips that are too compelling to ignore (of course, I have and may continue to miss out on some good companies by waiting too long, but that is ok).

At these valuations, I think the best investment is to pay off any debt. I've been debt-free for many years but low interest debt can be ok if it helps to reduce taxes and/or to take advantage of real estate opportunities.

Megalodon,
You certainly have more faith in this current unbacked fiat experiment than I.
I hope you have something liquid and tangible in researve to fall back on when the plug is pulled. Otherwise, you and many others are going to be caught with your pants down.
I honestly don't wish that for anyone. . . well maybe for most people.
100% all in sure sounds like you think you have a winning hand and can't lose it all.
Sounds like a gambler to me.
Sincerely, Idahodutch

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Megalodon,
You certainly have more faith in this current unbacked fiat experiment than I.
I hope you have something liquid and tangible in researve to fall back on when the plug is pulled. Otherwise, you and many others are going to be caught with your pants down.
I honestly don't wish that for anyone. . . well maybe for most people.
100% all in sure sounds like you think you have a winning hand and can't lose it all.
Sounds like a gambler to me.
Sincerely, Idahodutch

Every currency today is a fiat currency. None are backed by anything more than faith in the gov't. While the gov't is indeed irresponsible to run up these massive deficits and I disagree with the administration's trade policies that punish Americans, the dollar still has the faith of the world. We aren't remotely in the same boat as South American countries with their huge inflation. Gambling to me would be to place all my trust in the dollar, so I don't play games like currency trading or metal that is priced in dollars. I choose to invest in American companies that behave ethically and responsibly by buying small pieces called shares of those companies. I prefer companies that pay dividends. In some places, real estate investments can generate the income that I receive from dividends. Doing nothing, or putting away metal that generates no returns, is a greater gamble.

Last edited:

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
G,
How much savings do you have?
2 weeks living expenses? Month? 6 months?

How much do you have tied up with bets in the markets?

When your bets fail, you'll be looking to me with your hand out,
If you don't have a fallback plan.

How much debt do you carry?
Do you have car payments? If so, why is that?
Don't you ever save for stuff?

Normally I would not waste my words, but just a few posts away from next posting level, so I don't mind. Besides, maybe someone will think about their situation and decide to make some changes.

And, Better - would being able to get what you need without being at some bankers mercy to get it.
Idahodutch

Since you ask these questions, I really don't think you would understand a truthful reply.

Short answer... I have resources.

g

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Megalodon, I understand that many people have had the benefit of nice, sometimes excellent returns on their wagers. (even betting on companies).
But if they are keeping all their investments in companies (usually this is part of the markets) or in real estate through the markets (like mortgage backed securities) and on and on, well today, the markets are a time bomb. Today's risk is not for the average joe, that cannot afford to lose.
A lot of you guys that pump investing above common sense, don't seem to care who it is you are promoting this risk to. It's like selling expensive cars to people who can't afford them, instead, nudging them along to get the sale.
The inflated real estate market, or the stock markets are riskier than saving first . . . And then maybe start investing extra funds after that, but it doesn't seem to ever be the advice from investment pumpers.
I'm glad you have done well, but the path you took does not really exist anymore. It would have to be a lot trickier and johnny on the spot to try to avoid pitfalls. This is not for the average Joe. Trying to pick the winners, for most, is not any better than a horse race.
I'm tired of debating.
You want to go for a beer?

Last edited:

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Good for you! At today's valuations, paying down and eliminating debt is the very best investment you can make. Start with the highest interest rate loan and work your way to the lowest. If you must use a credit card, use only a cash reward card and pay it off immediately. Never carry a balance.

Megalodon,
I completely agree with this advice.
Idahodutch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions