What to consider before getting into detecting?

Hickory Joe

Greenie
Nov 5, 2017
El Dorado County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been prospecting local creeks and rivers for years with pan, sluice and crevice tools. I find typical flood gold, flecks and the occasional picker. I'm yet to find any nuggets and have been thinking that metal detecting might be the only answer to my craving.

I feel I'm ready to take my prospecting to the next level, but I want to reach out before I make a very expensive purchase (I've had my eye on the GPX 4500). What considerations should I be aware of before jumping into this expensive hobby? How steep of a learning curve is there for using a PI detector?

Primarily, I plan on detecting tertiary river channels in the Sierra Nevadas. I have a handful of spots that I have always been curious about, but have had no means of productively finding anything without a detector.

Any enlightenment or insight before pulling the trigger on detecting would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HJ & Steven's Creek Trail - Likely I've rafted right past the creek a few times many years ago and that would have been the only time I've ever been that far down on the NFAR. Between the two bridges there are some crazy rocks in the river! Enjoy your machine and the best of success to you!...................63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread