wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend that you hire a good reputable attorney that specializes in International Maritime Law. This is a good first step in keeping your operation on the up and up, and also securing title to your wreck. Additionally, he should be able to keep you from getting into any bad deals with some of the sharks constantly looking for an easy meal.

Tom

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I would have to agree. You need to act fast. But don't act wrecklessly. Do some research and find out more about the vessel in question and make sure you are on the right site. Then you definitely need to either secure search and survey permits, or physically visit te site with Side Scan Sonar, underwater camera or something similar to see what you have.

Right now, you have a 3rd party verification that there is something there, but it doesn't mean its the wreck you were talking about above.

Afterwards, you may want to hook up with Limo Bob or someone up there you can absolutely trust. If you do this though, it should be done by the book and make sure you get anyone on the site to sign a non-disclosure form.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Erik,

I tend to agree with WD 1715, but make sure that if you do employ a maritime attorney, you employ somebody who is commited to doing a good job for you. I know of instances where attorneys with good credentials have approached new cases with a compacncy that resulted in grief for their client.

Mariner

Robert G. don't you sleep?

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Eric,
I can hook you up with some cold water divers anytime, diving the U boats all the time and have also worked with me some. Confidantality clauses will cover you for help to keep their (or anyone else) mouth shut but make sure you have your ducks in a row first. And let the water warm up some, it's got to be polar bear water up there.

Diverlynn

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erik,I spent some time last Spring with Diverlynn on the Polly L.See knows what she's doing,knows many of the right people & really stays current on all the rules & regs.GOOD LUCK,Tom.

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you go broke hiring lawyers, and filing claims, do some more homework.

If the wreck is within 3 miles, like it or not it belongs to the state at the moment.

I'm not trying to diss your wreck, but it is highly probable that others in the past have knowledge of your site. Whether it's local sport divers, fishermen, history buffs, or State Archaeologists there is a fair chance that someone else has checked it out. People have been dragging nets & trawls, diving, and fishing for a lot of years over a lot of ocean, yours is by no means remote. Just because a site isn't advertised on a chart, at the local dive shop, or on google doesn't mean someone doesn't know about it, keep digging, talk to local fishermen, see what the State knows.

My suggestion would be to filter through your state's bureaucracy and find the department that handles underwater archaeology. Most have reams of documentation regarding known wrecks in their waters whether they've been located and explored or not. I would start there and quietly see if you can figure out if they have visited or are aware of "your" wreck. You may be surprised, most states don't have the money to go out wreck hunting, they usually have other things that take up their time and budget. The historical significance you suggest is present should make your wreck historically valuable (I don't mean $$$) I mean historical knowledge. PS - Museums don't typically buy artifacts from treasure hunters, they are part of the same political club as the archaeologists and are also subject to being harassed by their peers.

You really need to determine your interest in pursuing it and figure out what you hope to achieve by pursuing it. If it is solely one of monetary gain, I'd would reccommend you find another means that will provide what you seek. Either that or start buying Lotto tickets or learn to count cards and move to Atlantic City. If you are interested solely in learning more about the history more power to you. I think the days of pillaging historic wrecks inside three miles and selling your finds are numbered. I really think people have a bad habit of getting caught up in the romance of "treasure hunting" and overlook the political and economic issues. Your facing an expensive uphill battle to do these things, anyone who tells you otherwise needs to actually try it sometime.

I honestly don't know you or your motivation, and like I said I am not trying to take a jab at you, or criticize you, I'm just keeping it real so to speak. If you envision making a fortune off rare shipwreck artifacts on EBay centered around a wreck in State waters that George Washington took a ride on, and doing things on the cheap you might reconsider and save some frustration.

Good luck what ever you decide. Someone else suggested it, read through some of the older threads, there is a lot of knowledge here. Keep in mind most seems biased toward half hearted endeavors that likely never got started or successfully finished for one reason or another. You usually don't find a lot of "I'm done with wreck hunting" threads here, some people just fade away, or shut up once they learn a little more, a few keep at it. Unfortunately many have come before us and done more harm than good for the resource. There are exceptions though.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I second ScubaDude's post. That was a very lucid and well thought out post Captain!

I would hit the books and find out as much as I can about the wreck. Like ScubaDude said, someone probably already knows its there, they just may not have a name for it. Obviously someone told you where it was!

Next, get scuba certified and go check out the wreck. You will have to go there at some point or another to verify it. See if the site matches the documentation about the wreck. Don't go pulling up a pile of artifacts, just do some poking around. Look for characteristics that match the vessel you are looking for. If you start finding bottles or artifacts (like bottles) that can help date the site you are on the right track.

Good Luck,

Robert

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
I had an oldtimer tell me a story and i did the looking and finding. And Thank you for the help you all give. Its great that people sill are helpfull. I want to find this not for the money from artifacts or eBay but for history value. I have other Th's that are just waiting for me to go look. I have check and check and check things out before I go digging and making a mess of history. I was thinking of get a degree in Marine archaeology.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Eric said; "I was thinking about getting a degree in marine archaeology." Oh, don't do that Eric. You will never see another shipwreck again!

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
Why does that stop you from looking for them. I havent seen it yet just found info and details on the wreck. I know alot about the waters around here even things the gov doesnt. My family have been fisherman for many years and know alot of people that fish. No one I have ever talked to has even know what it was or that there was a ship wreck there. I dont now many divers and there the ones that would know but hay it cant hurt to try and find history even if I am not the first. I would just like to have it know about and see history. I am not saying I would not love to have a good find but everyone says start in the town you live. I might get lucky but i dont think i will. Erik

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erik12152003 said:
I had an oldtimer tell me a story and i did the looking and finding. And Thank you for the help you all give. Its great that people sill are helpfull. I want to find this not for the money from artifacts or eBay but for history value. I have other Th's that are just waiting for me to go look. I have check and check and check things out before I go digging and making a mess of history. I was thinking of get a degree in Marine archaeology.
Good for you Erik, go where your heart takes you :thumbsup: Marine Archaeology that's a great
Passion to have.
Ossy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Erik,

I think your notion is very respectable. I enjoy the Archaeology side of treasure hunting more so sometimes because of the attention to details. I enjoy the history, and understanding how and why something came to rest where I found it.

If you want to get started with a great beginner course, MAHS (Marine Archaeological and Historical Society) offers an Introductory Course in Underwater Archaeology. It is very basic but does get into some in depth topics. I think everyone should view the course videos, although it is very "anti-treasure hunting."

I do have to agree though. Most Underwater Archaeologist don't get to dive too often. It was funy reading one of Bob Marx books and hear him talk about one Underwater Archaeoogist that couldn't even swim, much less dive. I am sure thats not the case now days, but the truth is, there are very few UW Archaeologist who actually get wet. Most spend their time in the books. And as for the pay, unless you are working for Odyssey.....well you get the picture!

Here is the link.

http://www.mahsnet.org/

Good Luck,

Robert

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY said:
...the ARRG boys would have you fly the Jolly Roger...To the team at ARRG. just joking. :icon_sunny:
Ossy

ARRG honors cultural heritage and never has pilfered a wreck or encouraged any illegal looting. I would appreciate it if you would keep your "jokes" to something more humorous and less cheap shots. In fact, it would be great if you contributed anything at all to this forum besides cheap shots.

Erik, there are archaeologists and salvors who understand the importance of working together so that all underwater history can be preserved and have the means to recover responsibly. You can be one of those who simply does what is right for maritime preservation and not allow either extreme to pervert the potential of your wreck site. The course Robert recommends is a great start.

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
Thanks for the info. By the way I dont dive either yet but love the water and the history. I havent seen this wreck just yet, I just found info and stories. I dont have the money to do all the crazy stuff I would love to. Thats why I cant go nuts with it. On the other hand I dont want to give out the info and spot to just any one because I dont want it distroyed. Thanks for info and help everyone

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
First of all, well said, Darren.
Secondly, you can spend a lifetime preparing for and a fortune in attorney fees for a "what if" site. Take it from someone who's been there. Slow down a bit a prepare to confirm your Hunches first. Until the site can be positively identified then you wont need an attorney or a means to recover, just please keep all site and research data secret.
It is unfortunate that we have learned not to trust the state government for fear of forfeiture of some sort of felonious charge. For those of you that know me you'll agree, keep it close.
I can offer SSS, ROV and diving for verification or exploration. Check for PM.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions