What to do with all these nickels?

bnicholas26

Apr 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bare Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure there are plenty people here who love to search nickels, as do I. You can find lots of different stuff. However, I got about...4 rolls of 1940's and 50's nickels and know that I LOSE money if they go on ebay. Craigslist isn't responding. They just aren't worth much but it's difficult to just cash them in. What would you do?

Upvote 0
F

Farchaus2k

I keep 'em too. Figure one day the kids of my kids might get some value out of them.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw them in a box and keep them. They are not worth trying to sell right now. Some day your grandkids may be trying to fill a nickel book and you can donate them to the cause.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
My advise when it comes to nickels

1) V nickels, buffs and war nickels, no expanation needed

2) 1938 PDS, 1939 PDS, 1942D, 1949S, 1950 PD, 1951DS, 1955 keep

3) All others dump

Dodeskaden

Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ask myself this question all the time. I think it comes down to why you like coins, why you're a CRHer. When I find a nickel from the 40s or early 50s, I get the tiny sense of holding a small bit of history. So I assign a little significance to it that objectively isn't there, and I usually end up keeping it. But given that there's just too many to find, I raised my standards after a few months -- nickels have to be at least VF/EF to be keepers.
In 30 years, maybe I (or my kid) will have some rolls of nickels that are worth about $2.10 apiece, but they'll be, well, cool to have. That's either completely meaningless or enough of a reason on its own to store them, depending on why you're a CRHer.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each to their own. Personally, I've been keeping 'em all. Are they worth much? Most probably are not, but I figure some day I'll probably try sell them in grab bags of mixed date/mixed condition pre-1960 nickels or something like that and see what I can get for them. For now I can afford to just hold them, so I do.

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
Unless you are running out of CRHing funds, I would keep them.
Also, I would add the 1958 P to that list of dates. They have a pretty low mintage.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no reason in my mind not to keep them. If you throw them away you may some day regret it. If you keep them you can always throw them away later. Let's not forget that there are many, many CRH'ers who used to throw away 40% silver halves because they were "worthless". Those people are kicking themselves now. No, those nickels will never be worth a lot of money. But when nostalgia kicks in down the road you may be kicking yourself if you have thrown them away.

The older I get the more I regret.

OP
OP
bnicholas26

bnicholas26

Apr 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bare Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I should've elaborated. I keep all nickels before 1960 that are under 50 million mintage. Then the 1959d etc. and all the high mintage nickels go in a separate bag. But I think you guys are right. It's not a big investment the keep and my little cousins might start a book some day. thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions