What to do with bent, corroded, otherwise unspendable coins?

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
My stack of bad coins. Counted 68 quarters, found metal detecting the last several years. bent coins.jpg

Upvote 7

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as the quarters go, I have hammered them straight, tumbled them in a lime juice salt mixture and rolled them and taken them to the bank with no issues cashing them in. Of course it may help to have an account there because I have never been questioned about the condition as long as you roll them yourself and put the cash into your account.
The same goes for dimes and nickels.
The zincons on the other hand are hard to cash in. I believe by law they have to take them because they are legal tender but the effort and hassle may not be worth it.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because they're a little bent doesn't mean you can't spend them. Dump them $2 at a time at coffee shop. I'd hammer the bad ones though.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I throw them in the tip jar at the coffee shop along with good coins for the tip. One kid who knows I do that looks forward to seeing what I'll give (fishing weights, horse tack buckles, flat buttons, etc...)

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I throw them in the tip jar at the coffee shop along with good coins for the tip. One kid who knows I do that looks forward to seeing what I'll give (fishing weights, horse tack buckles, flat buttons, etc...)

that is awesome, tipping in relics. you are my new hero.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There a way to send them to the treasury but I like the hammer idea. I tumble mine with vinegar and dish soap and sand for 3 hrs and roll em up. The super mangled lawn mower coins I chuck in the junk metal bucket.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the quarters go, I have hammered them straight, tumbled them in a lime juice salt mixture and rolled them and taken them to the bank with no issues cashing them in. Of course it may help to have an account there because I have never been questioned about the condition as long as you roll them yourself and put the cash into your account.
The same goes for dimes and nickels.
The zincons on the other hand are hard to cash in. I believe by law they have to take them because they are legal tender but the effort and hassle may not be worth it.
^This right here^

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Flatten the ones you can , tumble in vinegar and salt to clean , Do the pennies separate or you'll turn everything pink ! Then dump them in a Coinstar machine and let them deal with it. Give the ones that don't go through to a homeless guy who you know could work, but wont. He'll be panhandling right out side the store with the Coinstar machine.
My zinc's im going to save up and put them in a treasure box and and bury then for another detector'est to find.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flatten the ones you can , tumble in vinegar and salt to clean , Do the pennies separate or you'll turn everything pink ! Then dump them in a Coinstar machine and let them deal with it. Give the ones that don't go through to a homeless guy who you know could work, but wont. He'll be panhandling right out side the store with the Coinstar machine.
My zinc's im going to save up and put them in a treasure box and and bury then for another detector'est to find.

Gee, thanks, I could REALLY use more corroded zinc cents! :BangHead:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need a couple big mason jars and a post hole digger. Bury in a spot that won't get disturbed by construction. In 100 yrs, it would make a heck of a find. Gary

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job! :occasion14:

Straighten the coins and clean them in a tumbler if needed, then roll and cash in! :icon_thumleft:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My stack of bad coins. Counted 68 quarters, found metal detecting the last several years. View attachment 1656222

Didn't you ever Buy something with Cash, that came out to maybe $1.43 ?

Hammer those bent coins back in shape.

instead of handing them a 5 or 2 Ones,
Count the change & Drop 1 or 2 of the straightened coins in the Mix.

I don't tumble coins.
But I Do carry Plenty of change in the Console of my Car.

I I rarely use cash, But when I do, plan on it, I grab a hand full for my Pocket.
I have on those Occasions handed the Teller the Exact change,
Which always includes one Obviously Dug Coin. I've even Smiled at the Girl as I hand it to her,
as If I'm Shocked by the Condition of the Particular Coin, If counting it out to her instead of just
Dropping the Change in her palm, To count herself.

I Have Never Gotten a dirty Look or a No !

A hand Full of Dirty Coins at The Bar years ago Was a Conversation Starter Though.
& The Bar didn't Refuse me Paying with Physically Dirty Money.
Just Intrigued .....

If you have an Aldies in your Area

I Have Straightened Quarters & used them in the Carts Like this.

in the aldies here, The cart you walk in with Is Rarely the Cart you walk out with.
as you put your stuff out of you cart onto the Register Slide,
There is already a Cart the Attendant is filling as She Runs your items

When you get back out

& replace your Cart.

You have a new Quarter.

It's Not Theft, As long as You use a Real Quarter, Just replacing it with a Better One.

The Person Getting Your Dirty, Slightly Damaged, Quarter Always has the Option to Walk back in , Complain & Trade it with the Register Girl.

I would IF Someone did it & I got caught with a Damaged one :tongue3:

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and of course my Zinclon & Toasted Wheat Cache,
for a Park once I Come across a Couple Large Mason Jars

View attachment 1656358 DSCF0005.JPG

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take some and bury them in your yard at different depths and angles. Put some trash in with a couple and then use it as a test garden for your detector.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bank will take em just like damaged bills

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hammer them flat and the corroded zincolns I am saving to bury for a future detector enthusiast I might even throw a silver rosie in with them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd Never Bury Silver. I work Too Hard to find it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread