What to do with pre 1960 Jefferson nickles? We sold them. (With Pics)

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Tanner and I have a fair amount of common pre 1960 Jefferson nickles. We did not want to send them back into the wild. We posted an ad on Craig's List and was able to sell 5 rolls for $20. We tried once before with little luck. I changed the wording of the ad to make it look like we did not know much about coins. We also wrapped them in old looking rolls that were harvested from the wild. Except for the Uncle part it is all true. We sold the rolls in just two days.

Craigs List Copy:
These came from my uncle. I do not know much about them. There are all pre 1960 Jefferson nickles, I looked through a couple of the rolls and saw no buffalo nickles. You can have all 5 rolls for $20. These would probably be good for a beginner collector. When I was a kid I had a book with holes in them to sort them by dates. I am sure they still sell them somewhere. Perhaps your kid could try and "collect them all"

Please do not call after 9:00 pm, I do not text. You can reach me at 222-222-2222

Attachments

• coins for sale 004.JPG
    coins for sale 004.JPG
    854.9 KB · Views: 86
  • coins for sale 005.JPG
    coins for sale 005.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry I missed it...would have paid more:dontknow:

OP
OP
gordon and tanner

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
sorry I missed it...would have paid more:dontknow:

Big Wave, There were no war nickles or low mintages, Do you really think they are worth 10 cents each? Some may have been "s" mint marks. We had trouble selling them in the past. Until we reworded the add we could not move them.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

SyrocoKid

Sep 12, 2014
Syracuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work as a cashier. I buy all 1965 and older nickels out of the till at work for face value. I have almost 20 bucks worth. Half of them are from 1964. I have come across 3 war nickels. They make a fun conversation piece sitting in an old general store bottle marked 5 cents.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work as a cashier. I buy all 1965 and older nickels out of the till at work for face value. I have almost 20 bucks worth. Half of them are from 1964. I have come across 3 war nickels. They make a fun conversation piece sitting in an old general store bottle marked 5 cents.

I don't doubt it

:laughing7:

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Double face is a great price for pre 1960 Jefferson nickels (assuming no war nickels, 1938DS, 1939DS, or 1950D).
Deception is the key, "unsearched rolls"
Let the buyer beware!

SyrocoKid

Sep 12, 2014
Syracuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottle are my pre 66' nickels, the pile on the table are my 64's. I'm getting another bottle just for them. I might have more then 20 bucks worth now.

Attachments

• image-608896116.jpg
    image-608896116.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 100
  • image-18889282.jpg
    image-18889282.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 104

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey G and T, boy, wish I would have known that, I just turned in over 100.00 in pre 60 Nickels ( I posted a week or so ago a collection dump I bought), after I took out 36 war nics and 314 Buffs from them I just turned them into one of my dump branches, didn't know they really brought anything over face :dontknow:. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
gordon and tanner

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Maverick,

We sold 5 rolls a few years ago, but have not had any luck since. I think writing the ad so it looks like I could not be bothered with them, and did not know much about the nickles helped. I think the buyer thought there could be some war nickles in the mix. My ad did not say "searched" or "unsearched", just that I had 5 rolls of pre 1960 nickles.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice sell!

@Mav, like G&T said, it would probably be tough trying to get more than face for the nickels, you kept what you wanted and turned the rest in, nothing is wrong with that! Don't regret what you have done :)

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think they sold for that because they came from an ad that said someone only checked two of the five rolls and saw no buffaloes. Someone bought a lottery ticket that was already scratched off and obviously not a winner.

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottle are my pre 66' nickels, the pile on the table are my 64's. I'm getting another bottle just for them. I might have more then 20 bucks worth now.

If only I had had the foresight to save more '64's. When I first started CRH I found a lot of them...

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If only I had had the foresight to save more '64's. When I first started CRH I found a lot of them...

Why do you want 1964's? They are the most common nickel ever.

Pete

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread