Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would work and earn $350 more to add to your $150... buy a box and see if you like it. If not keep searching teller trays - it will be there when you least expect.

I had a few week skunk period of going into numerous banks asking for halves (be prepared to be let down) and then finally when the teller told me "Oh we have rolls but they aren't silver" and I bought them- they were silver. She apparently didn't know that silver halves went from 65-70, her loss - my win! Be persistent!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halves come in $500 boxes, and most banks have a 2 box minimum when ordering. So, no you most likely can't order $150 worth of halves. Until you have enough cash to order boxes, my advice would be to buy all the loose halves you can find. When there aren't any and/or you have money left over, then use your remaining cash to buy dimes...or whatever other coins you prefer to search.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to two of my parents banks today (I'm 15) in hopes of them having some halves. Nope. Not even a couple in the tray. I know I should probably ask to order a box per week but I only have about 150$ to spend. Can you order specific amounts? What should I do?

Halves in H'ville are typically only dumps. I used to venture out that way pretty frequently but the last few times I asked around, there were either none, I had "just missed the teller with all of them locked up", or they have a BAZILLION dollars worth that the 5 or 6 main CRHers in town dropped off. I'd do what CHRQueen or unclehuckelberry suggested; either just get nickels and cents or raise $350 and order a box. Plus, Huntsville being on the list of top 10 smartest cities in the U.S., not many of the old retired folks out there are about to carry anything old to the bank without researching it first.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bassman - simple ride your bike to another bank. You do NOT have to be a member to get coins. Tell a little whilte lie if it makes it easier

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Order a $1000 in halves, and maybe the teller will be kind enough to let you buy them 150 at a time??

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I went to two of my parents banks today (I'm 15) in hopes of them having some halves. What should I do?

Start pushing the mower, washing cars, dogs, cleaning gutters, whatever it takes to build up your roll. In the meantime, continue checking teller trays and plow through the dimes every chance you get. In time, you will build your roll while still scoring silver slowly but steadily. Good Luck.

OP
OP
Bassmaster

Bassmaster

Jul 7, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I'll just do cents and dimes until I can buy a box. I just heard that halves were better and easier to score on so i did those first. Or tried anyway. TRanegar- thats a pretty good idea but the teller would have to be really patient and kind, pretty scarce these days.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't buy a damned half box - they generally suck.

You should go to every bank in town, and buy all the loose halves, and Customer rolls. Ride your bike to these banks, beacuse you can't drive.

If you have money left over - then buy all the Customer wrapped dimes. Very soon, you will have some silver to rug togeather.

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ask for $150 in dimes and work your way up. If possible get CWR rather than FWR.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea if I were you I'd buy all the CWRs I could get my hands on, and keep searching for halves. I got to multiple banks a week and have only found silver halves in the teller trays twice. I do better with boxes

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
If you only have $150 and you can't find a way to earn enough to buy a full box, your options for searching halves will be pretty limited, especially if you only have access to a couple of bank branches. If you can develop a good relationship with the lead teller you may be able to talk them into ordering you a box and allowing you to buy $150 at a time, but don't count on it.

What are you searching for? If you are in this just for silver, I would say do dime rolls and keep asking for halves whenever you go in case someone happened to turn some in. I wouldn't bother with quarters since they rarely produce silver. If you have an interest in coins beyond silver, you could always do cents or nickels and try to build a set or pull key dates.

One other option, which would be a lot of work, would be to do cents searching for copper (pre-1982) and when you get a large amount try selling on Craigslist or eBay. You could probably get $0.02 for each copper cent you find, and a typical box will run between 18-25% copper. Add that to your coin fund and eventually you would get up to enough to buy a box of halves if you really want to. If you are just searching to make a small profit this would be a way to do it with mostly sweat equity but little cash outlay.

Just some thoughts. Happy hunting!

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever you do, don't give up. Search those customer rolled nickels and dimes. Heed the advice of Diver_Down and ArkieBassMan. They have been of the forum for a long time and will not steer you wrong.

Ask the tellers for "paper wrapped rolls." I tell tellers that I cannot reuse those clear pastic wraps because they "tear," and I cannot re-wrap coins. They understand this. Even if you obtain paper wrapped rolls that are from a service company (aka Brinks), you still have a chance of finding silver--sometimes even better when the tellers hand you customer wrapped rolls. I love it when young folks go into CRH.
Happy Hunting,
apush

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread