what town in new jersey do you live in ?

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in the northern Flemington area. Have only gone on a few local excursions so far since moving down here and it's only gotten me some clad and a dog license/tag from 1981. Have a few pre-1850 homes nearby that I'd love to MD. Mostly farmland around me. Also have my sights on a nearby locale that was used for picnics early in the 1900's. Was going to check it out this week but the snow and rain pretty much squashed that.

S

swingbeepdig

I hunted flemington few times im 30minutes from there. George

S

swingbeepdig

What I did was I went to historical Ariel online and looked for wooded areas the map and then switched it to 1930 to see if there was once a farm cornfield or house there.there are countless of them in your town.did you ever use the website?

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
What I did was I went to historical Ariel online and looked for wooded areas the map and then switched it to 1930 to see if there was once a farm cornfield or house there.there are countless of them in your town.did you ever use the website?

No, I've never heard of it before. What is the url? There are several places in the area that I've been considering checking out - like the supposed "early 1700's" settlements area noted on a sign on Minneakoning Road - so that sounds like a great resource.

Last edited:
S

swingbeepdig

Www.historicarials.com
Use it on the website and it will show you what that street was in 1930.I can do some research for you but give me couple days.

Last edited:

ZeroGold

Greenie
Nov 5, 2012
Somers Point, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter pioneer 505, Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Excal, Minelab Sovereign, Minelab Sovereign XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somers Point Here and am new to dirt hunting but good on the beach. If anyone wants to show me the ropes I am not very good at finding the old stuff. Everything is built up here in Atl County.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard, folks!

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Right down the street in Forked River (Stouts Creek) on the weekends
Lee
What do you know about the old Forked River House restaraunt on 9....?

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you know about the old Forked River House restaraunt on 9....?

Are you talking about Shady Rest just south of Bayville? Or a place further south?

NJ Garrett

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all!

I live in Berkeley Heights. My parents owned a property that was a historic tavern (but sold it last year), which got me into metal detecting.

Daytona - I'm not far from Flemington.

Kev

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all!

I live in Berkeley Heights. My parents owned a property that was a historic tavern (but sold it last year), which got me into metal detecting.

Daytona - I'm not far from Flemington.

Kev

Funny thing... I lived in Berkeley Heights for 14 years before buying my house down here in Flemington 18 months ago. I had wanted to MD the wooded area just outside the property fence line for the Lord-Littel House, but never got around to it (go figure, especially since I lived 1/8th mile away all that time). Hunt anything interesting in BHts?

NJ Garrett

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Small world. I've hunted at most of the elementary schools to learn how to detect. Plenty of change to find there, but I find a silver coin occasionally. I've hunted around horseshoe pond while my son would go fishing, but I haven't hunted in earnest. I was just learning at the time.

I used to live in the "new" development on Overhill Way (new in the 80's), and we used to play in an old foundation that may have been colonial. I found it on historic aerials, and I hiked back into that area last Feb. Didn't bring my detector at the time, because I wasn't sure if I'd even find it. I'll post some pictures later.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! Small world. I've hunted at most of the elementary schools to learn how to detect. Plenty of change to find there, but I find a silver coin occasionally. I've hunted around horseshoe pond while my son would go fishing, but I haven't hunted in earnest. I was just learning at the time.

I used to live in the "new" development on Overhill Way (new in the 80's), and we used to play in an old foundation that may have been colonial. I found it on historic aerials, and I hiked back into that area last Feb. Didn't bring my detector at the time, because I wasn't sure if I'd even find it. I'll post some pictures later.

Nice! Maybe when the weather gets nicer we should hook up and check out some other areas around town, like where a house once stood on the other side of Seely Pond. And the other side of the L-L House property line.

I looked at some old topo maps and used them to try to hunt some old settlements that used to exist on Valley Road near the Connell office complexes. Unfortunately, it turns out that the quarry company filled the entire old homesteads area with 8-10 feet thick of detritus back in the 1980's/90's. It was impossible to find anything there. I even went down into the undisturbed woods closer to the office complex but still couldn't find anything.

NJ Garrett

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely!

As promised, here are the pics that I took exploring in the woods. It's an area that I used to run around in as a kid, so I knew this stuff was there. Was pretty cool to revisit as an adult.

The first pic shows an old well that I found. Sadly, I didn't mark it, so I'm not sure that I'd be able to find it again. Amateur.

The second pic is what I am pretty sure is an old road. No idea how old. Prior to 1931, because it's not on historic aerials.

The third is a more modern foundation than the one that my brothers and I used to play in (the colonial one that I previously referenced). No idea how old, but amazing to see in the middle of the woods.

And of course, there is the token sports car. I assume that this place was just abandoned one day. So strange.

P1010031.JPG P1010030.JPG P1010029.JPG P1010026.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread