What type of point?

Spiritofforest

Greenie
May 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy guys and gals. Found two different pieces at two different sites earlier this week. I’m not sure if the triangle shaped piece is a knife or preform. Has some nice long flakes from the base up the shaft. The point is something I’ve never came across in my area of East Kentucky. The tang is missing on one side but on closer inspection I can tell it’s been reworked. Not sure if they broke it when they were knapping or if it’s been damaged and then repaired. Either way does anyone know what type of point it is? Thanks!

Attachments

• 4ACCDBAF-B531-4337-B511-BBC12D8D990A.jpeg
    4ACCDBAF-B531-4337-B511-BBC12D8D990A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
Upvote 0

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Forum. Nice finds! I'm terrible at identifying types of points. You might try projectilepoints.net if nobody here can help you. You can search by state/region, and it lists flaking patterns, basal grinding, etc. that can help to narrow it down.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some really nice finds I would think the triangle would be a small blade and the other one is killer too bad about that ear broke off but still would be a day maker for me. If I found it up north I would Lean towards Kirk corner notch for the type but being where you are could it be a lost lake in seen a few of them with the ears extending almost leave with the base .... if you look on projectilepoints.net there’s one from Hardin co. Kentucky that looks very similar

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Welcome to the forum!!!
As kantuck pointed out, knowing the state or region an artifacts comes from is a big aid in identifying.

OP
OP
S

Spiritofforest

Greenie
May 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be right about the lost lake! The notch is almost straight up from the bottom of the base though but I guess that would just be a subtle difference!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The basal notched point would be something like a Citrus way down south like in Florida.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
You may be right about the lost lake! The notch is almost straight up from the bottom of the base though but I guess that would just be a subtle difference!

Welcome Spirit!
Typology IS identifying those subtle differences.

I have to agree with the others here regarding the triangle blade.

The notched point has seen a rough and tumble life. It has been damaged on the basal and notching area of the stem, to what extent, we can not tell. The reworking seems to have salvaged the point, but may have modified the original key identifiers.

A LOST LAKE has deep angular narrow notches, and serious beveling on the blade edges. I do not see those KEY identifiers on your point. But I agree with arrow86 that the ears extend close to the base.

Assuming* the one intact corner survived and resembles the original design, -there is a point type in your region (OVERSTREET) called LIMESTONE, which captures the details I see in the one picture you posted: broad notched triangle, convex blade edges, slightly flaring barbed stem, barbed shoulders, wide corner notch, concave Base. The bottom left example shows a short stem variety that nicely matches the one side of your point.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1560695464.681285.jpg

And then there’s this one from OHIO

https://remarkableohio.org/index.php?/tags/395-Trails

Last edited:

ohp733

Oct 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites DFX, TRX, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds. Keep them coming....

OP
OP
S

Spiritofforest

Greenie
May 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! A friend just recently said it was an Eva point but it’s hard to distinguish between that one and the one you just showed me. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread