Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2020
florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I've been "oak islanding" in the swamp area on my property. It has been so dry that the "lake" dried up.
I took this opportunity to scan it. I found a plow point and part of an iron kettle, but then I found about 2 1/2 feet down what looked like part of a wagon wheel. I took a trace of the arc and traced that arc onto paper and came up with an estimated 48" in diameter. I could find no spokes or hub as I dug though. Finally dug it out and it is a 48" wheel. I wondered what it was used for. Here's some specs: first, I think the tire is steel rather than iron as my detector sounded off on all three switch settings, not just the middle one which usually finds iron.
The tire is about 1/8" thick and just shy of 1 3/4" wide. There were 16 spokes whose hole diameter was between 5/8 to 3/4" in diameter. The variance probably due to wood swelling. The screws that hold on the fellows plates are pretty small and have square nuts. At first I thought this wheel was from a typical farm wagon, but it seems less heavy duty as though for a buggy or possibly for a farm implement of some kind. After all, it is found in the same area as plow parts. See photos. I'm curious what era and what it may have been used for.
Thanks for any input.

20200329_100023_resized.jpg 20200329_095945_resized.jpg 20200329_100006_resized.jpg 20200329_100016_resized.jpg

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this is one of your first posts - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Florida for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your country.

tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from GENERAL DISCUSSION over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find Jeff, welcome to Tnet from Toronto! :hello:

Very cool that the wood is preserved on the metal frame.
I think it would look amazing hanging on the side of that wooden building in your picture. :thumbsup:

Dave

Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jeff, A Big Welcome to You to the Tnet forum from Georgia. Great find of the old wheel.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread