Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Upvote 0

snappy

Jan 23, 2007
sidney montana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
In the late 70's a person could cash their pay check and get all halves keep the silver and still have enough to buy gas for the car. Half dollars use to produce 5-15 silvers/roll I did not get into dimes/quarters but would pull a silver out of change every week or two. I did not CRH for nickels very often, I use to pull all 1950 and earlier from change, I have a full roll of 1950 D's, and 10 rolls of Buffalo's. I did CRH pennies and use to pull a lot of wheat's it was normal to get 5-10 a roll sometimes the entire roll. IH's were very rare only got 2 in all the time I CRHed.

much of my coin collection was ruined in a fire and I stopped CRH after that, Started up again couple months ago. I sold my melted silver (price was $40oz) Keep some of the better ones (less damage). Most of the Wheat's ended up in several large lumps, you can make out what they are but they will never sell as coins I still have them (about 100lbs worth). My halves and pennies took the most damage had so many of them that they were on top and shielded the rest of the coins. Most of the other coins took some damage, It was a sad say.

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Oh man, sorry to hear that Snappy.

Do you have any pics of what the coins look like melted that way? My wife's grandmothers house burned down back in the early 70's, and they found globs of melted silver coins in the ashes too. Sad.

sfinder

Jun 25, 2006
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Prizm V and DD Coil
I used to CRH pennies in the 1970's. There were usually several wheats per roll. Got $10.00 in wheats one time. Someone must have turned in their collection. Not much luck CRH for wheats now, but I do save the pre-1982 coppers.

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I remember when I was a kid in the early 70's, my parents used to get together and play poker with pennies with family members at parties. It seemed like half of the pennies were wheats back then.
It seemed like you always got wheats in change every week. There must be hoards of wheats in a lot of homes now.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
I used to search pennies about 6 or 7 years ago---not too long ago---but even that recently, I'd find wheaties far more frequently---at least one every ten rolls. As a cashier, mercs and buffies were still pretty darned impossible. Wish I knew about silver back then, but alas, that was high school, and other things preoccupied me. I did have the foresight to keep a silver quarter that passed my way---one of only two I've ever seen in the wild.

My mind reels when I think about the CRHing veterans out there, and all the silver that was still circulating before the big silver melt in the early 80's. You guys had it good. Perhaps future CRHers will say the same thing about our finds. hahaha. Take that!! That's right all you future coin roll hunters, guess what I did today! I went to the bank and actually got some pre-82 pennies, nickels, and even...SILVER!!!!! hahahaha. All at face value, too!

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I would buy rolls of pennies from the nearest bank in the early 70s. Found a very few wheaties, but not enough to encourage me to keep doing it. I wish I had understood about hunting for silver halves back then.

Oh well...better late than never lol.
;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread