gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Pueblo CO and Pensacola FL
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro 6X10 DD and 4X6 DD coils and coil covers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What would be my best choice for going up to Gunnission Co
I like the Gold Bug II but what about the GMZ or GMT.
The Whites TDI SL is little more than i would like to spend but if it is the right choice i will get it.
I do not care about the display being fancy.
I am thinking i might have to go little deeper in the ground to find gold but have not done it before and i am new at this.
Thanks

Mortamus

Jun 9, 2012
Southern Callie
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The pros use the GMT for nugget shooting also read the book by Jim M on advanced nugget shooting..its right on the mark

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found one that is titled: Advanced Prospecting & Detecting for Hardrock Gold.
I did not find one on advanced nugget shooting.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TDI sl would be the one to get
it will leave all the others in the dust.

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have at least one of every detector you mentioned except for the GMZ. I don't have one of those.

Now, it is been many years since I hunted for gold in the Gunnison area so I am also rusty on particular places in that area.

Now, with that said, most gold found in CO is small, thus the VLF's are usually the best choice. The SL isn't as good for the really small gold when compared to the GMT or the GB 2. I like the SL but don't use it as much here in CO when I am nugget hunting.

As for which is best, the GMT or the GB 2, well that is more of a personal preference. Both work well. If you know how to use the ground balance to your advantage the GMT in auto tracking works extremely well.

If you rely on the display, you probably will leave gold behind. I have yet to find a display that is accurate all of the time or most of the time in some places. Specimen gold quite often is in rock containing ferrous oxides that can cause readings that will cause one to ignore the rock. Remember, the signal from a ferrous oxide is many times stronger than the weaker signal from gold. As such it doesn't take much iron oxide in a rock to cause the rock to be ignored even though it may have a stringer of gold in it. This is why it is important to know as much about the gold in the area where you are hunting.

A friend of mine uses a GB 2 and mentioned he followed behind a GMT owner and often found gold left behind. He suspected the White's owner was actually detecting much of the gold but assuming it was junk because of the readings he received.

The GB 2 disc feature works well but again isn't perfect. My buddy uses it so often that he broke the toggle, so he is using my GB 2 until he gets his fixed.

So, rather than always rely on any form of discrimination, make sure to check at least some of the signals. In places where actual iron objects are scarce, it is best to check all especially if the signals are weak and smooth signals.

As for the ground balance feature on the GMT, check some of those signals that are quickly tuned out after a few passes over them while the tracking feature is on. Don't be surprised to find that many small pieces of iron junk will be tuned out much like the ground signal. As a general rule, free gold doesn't do that. However, if the gold is locked in a rock, then it is a matter of the rock's makeup.

So, the old saying dig all and the only true discrimination is a person's eyes and a good loupe does hold true.

In areas where the iron oxides are not that bad and the gold is normally in nugget form, then one can use the disc feature with a little more confidence, especially if there is a lot of iron junk to deal with. Again, if this iron junk is rare, then dig all is the best way to go.

So, getting back to your original question, either the GMT or the GB 2 should serve your purpose.

The SL works fine for gold a little larger. Now, in a few years, PI's just may turn out to be the best if some of the features I am aware of are advanced properly.

Reg

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you actually find much gold with a detector?

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Going to wait for the release of the two new units White's is coming out with.

flopper

Feb 4, 2013
West Richland, Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites classic III
I should be receiving my new GMT tomorrow. But until then will finish of my buckets of fines with the new miller table I built..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130305_193341.png
    ForumRunner_20130305_193341.png
    147.2 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
REG I am also in pueblo.
You should come buy and Check out my Gold Cube and Blue Bowl if you want.
I will PM you with number.
Here is a link to White's mailer: White's Metal Detectors - Newsletter Signup
I am waiting for the release of info on the two new detector's.
I am going to buy the MXT Pro and hoping they make it waterproof so i can take it to FL, i am there a lot.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
Going to wait for the release of the two new units White's is coming out with.

Anyone know anything about the new detectors and when they are expected to be released?

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
I talked to the white's office and they told me they would be relic/ treasure detectors not gold detectors. That's why I bought the GMT...

Well Congrats on the new machine! Did they give any idea of when they would be released?

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Flopper
When did you talk with them because they would not give me any info.
I am also on the e-mail notification and have not heard anything.
I need t confirm this so i can order mine.

flopper

Feb 4, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites classic III
I called on 2 - 27 I think. I talked to Mary I think her name was. She wouldn't give me much but did say they weren't gold detectors. I bought my GMT from Kellyco, nice lady and is only taking six days from Florida to Washington State.

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I talk with Mary too.
Nice Gal.
I am ordering mine from Brushcreek Detectors.
Get a pair of those Headphone's Pro Star
Yea they cost more for a reason, but i have had several people tell me they are worth every penny.

flopper

Feb 4, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites classic III
Took my GMT out to some old Chinese tailing piles last night. My detector kept sounding on this one rock real faint. So I took it home and got out my hammer lined with fine gold throughout....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread