What Will You Do When The THing Season Is Over?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Greetings fellow northerners!

Do you realize that very soon now our THing season will be done for several months? I mean, that old man winter is breathing down our necks as I write.

QUESTION: What will replace metal detecting until spring arrives? Will you dig out all those treasure videos you've seen maybe 100 times already? I've watched every version of the Athoca so many times I think I'm related to the Fisher family!

Be creative--come up with ideas--share your thoughts--we want to know what YOU think!

Please remember this is G rated ;D

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RESEARCH WILL CONTINUE.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Zeb,

will clean up some of this years finds; do a bit of research. Also will get a life; do some off subject reading, work around the house, meet with family members who have not seen me since Spring.

Go a bit crazy waiting for the warmer weather.

Shovel snow; feed the birds a bit more; gain a few pounds; most likely develop a rash from not being in the woods; develop a bad attitude; look at new metal detectors and equipment.

Sneak out if the weather turns half way decent; scout out some spots.

Try to figure out why I kept some of the finds I kept.

Pray to the Good Lord for an early Spring.

alll have a good un.........
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
will get a life;

all have a good un.........
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

You mean there is a LIFE BEYOND this ?? :o

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G ?Rated.......Rats.... ;D ?There is a new treasure hunting show on the Outdoor Channel 2HD sponsored by Whites, but of course I can't get it. ?Write various manufactures about sponsoring a TH'er show.

If you can't travel to warmer climates like I do to play in the sand, make sure to remove your batteries during the off season. ?Read all you can on detecting in this forum and the treasure magazines. ?Write stories for W&E Treasures like I do. You can always detect snow banks and sleding hills. ?The digging is easier in the snow.

Check out www.thegoldenolde.com/

HH,
Sandman

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Zeb,

will clean up some of this years finds; do a bit of research.? Also will get a life; do some off subject reading, work around the house, meet with family members who have not seen me since Spring.

Go a bit crazy waiting for the warmer weather.

Shovel snow; feed the birds a bit more; gain a few pounds; most likely develop a rash from not being in the woods;? develop a bad attitude; look at new metal detectors and equipment.

Sneak out if the weather turns half way decent; scout out some spots.

Try to figure out why I kept some of the finds I kept.
Pray to the Good Lord for an early Spring.

Work at some photo projects; learn to hate my fellow detectors in the warmer States.
;) ;)

That pretty much sums it up for me too, except I'll be working on my website also..
I especially like the part about trying to figure why in the world did I keep that...lol
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

D

Doctor Detroit

I am fairly new to the hobby and will spend time reading all I can on the subject. I will buy a couple more detectors and go to Florida for vacation to try out the beaches for that spanish coin like Sandman says are there still.

LOL,
Doctor Detroit

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin
Found a couple "Treasure Trove"esque sites/books that might make for some good time killer this winter. Maybe further research on hidden treasures in Wisconsin as well. On the other hand, I could do something productive this winter. Just have to see what my motivation level is like.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Guess will just have to stock up on deicer for the knobs and bundle up more. ;) Then do some good research and dream big. ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
do some research...i was hoping that i could still hunt the woodchip areas in the cold although i dont know if its possible or not. this will be my first "off" season so i dont really know what to expect. if it is at all possible i will find a way!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:'( You mean there is a cut-off date for detecting? :D

Wow! And I was thinkin how nice it is here finally!

Sure hope my season lasts a little longer! I'm not ready to quit yet!

;)

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40 said:
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? :'( You mean there is a cut-off date for detecting?? :D

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Wow! And I was thinkin how nice it is here finally!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Sure hope my season lasts a little longer! I'm not ready to quit yet!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ;)

Nana, think of it this way, you'll have all winter to paint your "nails." ;D

DoctorDan

Sep 21, 2005
Missouri
In Missouri,
Archery Deer season is Sept 15 to Jan 15
Rifle deer season is sometime in Nov
Black powder is Nov too
Metal Detector season is open all year except when you're in a ladder stand ;D ;D ;D ;D
No daily limits when coin shooting!!

50 cal, 243, PSE, Garrett 2500 ;D

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Nana, think of it this way, you'll have all winter to paint your "nails." ;D

HA HA ! tieren! :-\

That's ok though........that was a good one! :D

;)

Gadget

Sep 10, 2005
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My season ended this past weekend with the first snow. It really should have ended a week prior to that when I was having to put all of my weight into the digger to cut a plug... but it's my first year and I just wouldn't admit that it was time to put the detector to bed for the winter. I did find a nice ring in that frozen ground though. ;D I can't imagine I'll be back out again until late May.

Research (which to me is half of the fun) is definately in my winter plans both for coin and nugget shooting. I bought the dern machine for nugget shooting in the first place and only went to the parks "to learn the machine" - found some clad, then some rings, and forgot about the nuggets.

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
I will be putting a few tweaks in my EX2 programs, setting up an electolysis machine and doing research for sites to hit when the ground thaws -- :)

Colorado Bob

May 6, 2005
What will I do, think about you poor souls, while I'm hunting the freshwater beaches and nuggetshooting in the desert. No off days here, well maybe a few when the temps hit the 115 to 120+ mark. :'(

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Hmm does really cold weather harm detectors? We should all clean up and post some of the relics and stuff we ignored this summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread