What Will You Do When The THing Season Is Over?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Greetings fellow northerners!

Do you realize that very soon now our THing season will be done for several months? I mean, that old man winter is breathing down our necks as I write.

QUESTION: What will replace metal detecting until spring arrives? Will you dig out all those treasure videos you've seen maybe 100 times already? I've watched every version of the Athoca so many times I think I'm related to the Fisher family!

Be creative--come up with ideas--share your thoughts--we want to know what YOU think!

Please remember this is G rated ;D

Upvote 0

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will migrate south like the birds!

Zeb said:
Greetings fellow northerners!

Do you realize that very soon now our THing season will be done for several months? I mean, that old man winter is breathing down our necks as I write.

QUESTION: What will replace metal detecting until spring arrives? Will you dig out all those treasure videos you've seen maybe 100 times already? I've watched every version of the Athoca so many times I think I'm related to the Fisher family!

Be creative--come up with ideas--share your thoughts--we want to know what YOU think!

Please remember this is G rated? ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Th'ing season is never over really, only digging in frozen ground. If you don't have the cash to go where its warm, do reserch, learn more by buying books, use the web and this forum for study. etc....

As for hunting, you can check out the fences around parking lots for blown paper money, Check the whole lot with your eyeballs too. Walk a beach or visit garage sales. I've recovered plenty gold rings, etc for them. Church sales at good places to use a hand held detector even a pinpointer to search clothing. The list can only get bigger. If in doubt, just sit down with a magn. glass and check out your past finds for rare dates or a good ring that somehow ended up in junk pile.

HH,
Sandman

T

tallpaul

irish charlie thats exactley what i do with the maps,, yep it sure does show you what land has still been untouched by modern man, thats the way to do it, infact i was studying a old 1800s mao i have here and i put a tracing of an up to date one over it and holly heck it tells a tale or two, i'll be checking this new site out very soon,.

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Is the problem with detecting on 'frozen' ground refer to the use of the metal detector, or it just being harder to dig? If it's the metal detector not being able to read very far down, at least you can get that far. :) If it's just harder to dig, put your shovels up to a grinder and get em nice and sharp! :D

Check your couches for loose change...maybe you'll find something good! (be cautious of nails, staples, brown recluses, and gross slimy stuff...) As well as this, if you have an piano, open it up and search it. My father's a piano technician and I was with him once and he found an indian head penny. He gave it to the woman of course, cuz it's really hers. We were given a piano that someone wanted to get rid of this week, that was made in 1909. Unfortunately, all it had in it was a '74 penny and a '67 dime and about fourty pounds of dust...but you might have better luck! (another caution, don't start tearing your piano apart to find to find pennies, as it could cost you a lot of money to repair your damage...if you don't know if something can be removed safely, don't :))

Anyway, have fun all!

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
Your kidding about digging frozen ground with a shovel right?? Ain't gonna happen. Even if it was possible what would you do with the chunks?, lug them around till you could melt them?

Z

ZumbroKid

miester said:
Your kidding about digging frozen ground with a shovel right?? Ain't gonna happen. Even if it was possible what would you do with the chunks?, lug them around till you could melt them?
A pick is better. I got some nice indian heads last jan and feb. You get the signal and bust out a chunk about the size of a football. Then beat it down to hand size and set it in the car. If the coin is showing on the side of the clod of frozen dirt. Once it warms up a bit the coin pops right off.

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Ok, so frozen ground, to you, is literally solid ground. I'm in the midwest, where one day it can be -10* and the next, 23*. Hence, tornado alley.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Assist the squirrels looking for their nuts.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Its hard to hunt in a$$ Deep snow!!!! Oh well, spring is only 3-4 months away >:( I'll probably do alot of research, looking for a new machine already, spend lots of time here and if I get time, finish remodeling my kitchen!!!! Good luck to all ;D
HH
Greg

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
gregl01 said:
Its hard to hunt in a$$ Deep snow!!!! Oh well, spring is only 3-4 months away >:( I'll probably do alot of research, looking for a new machine already, spend lots of time here and if I get time, finish remodeling my kitchen!!!! Good luck to all ;D
HH
Greg

Got the same problem here. We were thinking it was going to be a mild winter this year---ya right!

I'm not giving up altogether though. I have one of those small easy to carry snow blowers so I plan to blow out some spots from time to time. I just need to put a new handle on my old pick. I probably post a few pictures next week.

As soon as the Christmas season is over I plan to restore some nice relics I found this past summer. That will be fun and a challenge.

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA
here in oregon it gets pretty muddy here...with that said i think i will go play in it tomarrow....as for the rest of the winter....we will be making a trip to goldfield nv, cherry creek nv and maybe a few stops in californa.....hmmm how far is texas? lots of research, if you cant tell it is starting already...look at my other post.....fram some arrow heads and buckles found last yr in nv. polish a few rocks, and head for the coast to do some fossil and agate hunting....and probably some gold panning when the water drops alittle.....that should keep me busy for atleast a month or so.....
lgp

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I do more hunting during the colder months. No bugs and better weather to work in. If it's really cold, I'll hunt for relics in the woods. The leaves decompose keeping the ground warm and soft. I'll start Civil War Relic hunting right after the holiday season. I'm busy until then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread