What works better than Xcal ?

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What would be the best detector to compliment the Excal 1000 I'm now using? There have been a few posts about the Florida American Electronics Mac 1, which sounds good if you could find one. Is there a professional level waterproof machine that is equal to or better than the Excal ?
If money were not an issue, what would You buy ?

Tek

Upvote 0

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tek,

I use the Garrett Infinium. I like it because of several things and here they are.

1. You can change the search coils on the spot just like a land detector without sending it to the factory. There are currently 6 coils avaiable for use with the Infinium.

2. You can change the headphones from land type to water type at will.

3. It is a pulse induction machine and very deep.

4. It is easily hipmounted with no problem and mounts in a pouch on the belt making swinging the coil very easy in the water because you have little resistance going against you.

5. It draws very little current which means you can hunt all day on a battery charge.

6. It is very stable in and out of water.

I have had mine a few weeks and have hunted twice with it. I have found a total of 8 rings so far, 4 junk, 4 precious metal.

I can only speak for mine but I know that there are other good ones. Most people that use the Excalibur like it also. I just like the flexibility of the changes that the user can make with the Infinium on the spot and it is a great machine. There is an Infinium Forum on the internet. If you type Infinium Forum into the Google search window you will find it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Infinium LS is deeper than the Excal being since it is a PI, but it's iron discrimination isn't up there with the Excal or even other VLF's that are cheaper. It is however a great detector if you are young or have a strong back for all that digging to China your going to do.

That other thing you mentioned, Mac 1, isn't from a major manufacturer so any claims made for it are subject to interpretation. Might not have a warranty, and is probably another PI anyway.

In my opinion, the only thing as good as an Excal, not counting the Infinium is another Excal. Some of us have two of them.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
In my opinion, the only thing as good as an Excal, not counting the Infinium is another Excal. Some of us have two of them.

;D ;) You mean I'm not the only one with an Excal as a backup for my Excal? ;) ;D

Thinking hard about installing a 15 " WOT on the backup Excal and see how that works. I will then have the choice af an Excal 1000, Excall 1000 with the 15 inch WOT, or my Sovereign Gt with 15" WOT when I hit the beach.

My biggest problem is I hate walking back to the truck to swap units. I wonder if I could hire a detector caddie?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter, I have two Excals but one is set up for diving. My back up for the wading or dry sand is still the Tiger Shark mainly because it has the Clean Sweep Coil and excellent disc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread