What would YOU do facing an armed robber?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gold boy,

I used to do kung fu back in my mispent youth. Our grand master Mr Lee was just a bit over 5 feet and probably weighed maybe 130 lbs max.

When I was practicing on Saturday he had about 5 or 6 of his black belt students attack him...keep in mind some of these guys were pretty big pushing 200 lbs and he tossed them around like rag dolls, they couldnt lay a hand on him....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
it just go's to show size doesn't mater

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A plan is definitely something I have! I am glad your fight or flight instinct kicked in and you picked the right one! That is one thing I have always been able to do well. Assess the situation quickly and see what needs to be done.

Must have had some people praying for you...

Its good to have a plan though, better yet plans. The second time I had a knife pulled on me all I could think is "yeah I see the dude with the knife ten feet away, but why in hell is his partner opening the trunk on the car they both just got out of?"

Then the springs in my legs seemed to wind up all by themselves and I took advantage of those. I been cut before, not on purpose though, but no way am I getting stuffed in car trunk.

Here is a plan- when you get startled enough that your instinct MAKES you run, don't second guess yourself. Looking back to check ain't going to help you run any faster. :laughing7:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gold boy,

Another story involving master Lee.....one night late he was walking home in Chinatown and cut through a side street 5 or 6 punks made the mistake of jumping him..lol.

They all ended up in hospital and laid charges on him....when the judge saw this small humble Chinese person he tossed the case out of court....little did he know what this man was capable of doing.

Regards + HH

Bill

it just go's to show size doesn't mater

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 30 years ago I was driving home from the shooting range.Stopped at a red light, in the mirror I notices two black males approaching(down the middle of the road) from my rear.The one on the drivers side had a baseball bat.The other(who was the closest) was approaching the passengers side. I said to myself ...'this aint good'. As I was driving my Corvette and there isn't room for three people. The guy on the pass. side started to open the door(probably to distract me) from the guy w/the Bat.I pulled up my Colt Python 6" 357 cocked it, and said . Can I help you ? His eyes immediately tripled in size .The other guy dropped the bat.And they both ran away at mach two...End of story.
I had a similar situation while off duty. My brother's gas line froze up... 20 below. He had his two kids with him. I jumped in my car and (speeding) went off to get them. I pulled up to a light and stopped. A car pulled up next to me on the left. The woman driver was VERY excitedly pointing at me and flipping the bird. Her passenger was a "biker type". I laughed and turned away. I looked back to see the biker approaching with a tire iron in his hand. I pulled my off duty revolver (1970, still had wheel guns in Milwaukee). When He opened my door, he saw my gun pointing at his chest. All he could do was sputter out "sounds" not words. "I'm a cop. Get the f*** out of my face". He went back and I drove off. ╦╦Ç

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Terry, to answer your og. question, I don't know. It would depend on where I was and who I was with. In my home or out with the wife or kids I'd like to think I'd be a mean sob. At a store,gas pump or street I'd probably be submissive.
As a civilian, never military or law enforcement, I have to say that I have been faced with firearms pointed at me 3 times in my life and I froze each time. Easy to say what you'd do and another when you actually face it. I'm 6'2"/210 lbs. and ugly so most people don't mess with me anyway. But guns pointed at me puts crap in my neck. Merry Christmas and good luck.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
uglymailman,

At least youre honest....I seem to recall they did some dry runs on regular honest citizen types versus a terrorist attack situation and something like 90% of the people involved froze up when it hit the fan.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, to answer your og. question, I don't know. It would depend on where I was and who I was with. In my home or out with the wife or kids I'd like to think I'd be a mean sob. At a store,gas pump or street I'd probably be submissive.
As a civilian, never military or law enforcement, I have to say that I have been faced with firearms pointed at me 3 times in my life and I froze each time. Easy to say what you'd do and another when you actually face it. I'm 6'2"/210 lbs. and ugly so most people don't mess with me anyway. But guns pointed at me puts crap in my neck. Merry Christmas and good luck.
I'll tell you what, Ugly (sorry), Even I know I don't have it all figured out. But I will say that aggressive resistance REQUIRES a positive will to win attitude. Anything less invites hesitation, which makes the perp the winner. You'll be ok if you are just aware of your surroundings. ╦╦Ç

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Yea Terry, I try NOT to wind up somewhere I'm not supposed to be. But when I do I either:
A. Act like I own the joint or
B. Talk incoherently to myself while jestering wildly with my hands. It's worked so far.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
uglymailman,

At least youre honest....I seem to recall they did some dry runs on regular honest citizen types versus a terrorist attack situation and something like 90% of the people involved froze up when it hit the fan.

Regards + HH

Bill
I suspect that the 10% have LE or military back rounds. But even cops are a cross section of the general population. One of the cops I know would look down at his notebook and continue to write even though an agitated stop is standing less than 2 feet away. BAD situational awareness! That same cop followed a drunken driver around for five miles before stopping him. The judge through the case out. During knife v gun drills, I was told by the instructor that I was the only one that ever got all six shots off before he got to me. My last shot was from the ground, lying on my back. My gun was pressed against his lower belly and the cotton ball and powder from the primer caused a welt to raise on his belly. The will to win, shoot 'til the threat is neutralized, is a learned process, only perfected by MUCH practice. ╦╦Ç

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll tell you what, Ugly (sorry), Even I know I don't have it all figured out. But I will say that aggressive resistance REQUIRES a positive will to win attitude. Anything less invites hesitation, which makes the perp the winner. You'll be ok if you are just aware of your surroundings. ╦╦Ç

“Same thing one needs if you’re lost in the wilderness. “A positive will to win attitude”.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same thing one needs if you’re lost in the wilderness. “A positive will to win attitude”.
Very true! I have never been LOST in the woods but I was CONFUSED once for a little while. ╦╦Ç

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got caught off guard the first time it happened, and they got me for the 30$ I had in my wallet. After that I said "never again".

New Orleans is a dangerous place and after being robbed at gunpoint one time I never went anywhere without my bear mace (in case of vicious dogs if anyone asked) and I generally kept my 1917 trench knife on my belt as well.... It was a few years later another dirtbag tried to rob me but I saw him and his pal coming and they got the full can of the most potent bear spray I could find online straight to their faces, and a couple solid whacks from a size 10 1/2 Carolina steel toe boot for good measure.

One thing I can say about moving to Colorado, it's nice to not feel the need to look over my shoulder all the time when I'm out, but I still keep a can of bear mace handy

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only dealt with this scenario once or something close to it. 18 y/o and just moved to a small town called Brunswick in MO. from MI. This was in 1974. Found an apartment from my employer for a $1.00 p/day. Small 2nd floor dwelling, 1 bedroom, small bath with tiny living rm. / kitchen. The entry door closed tight but the lock didn't work. Was going to fix the next day. The bedroom door when left open looked directly at the entry door. The only gun I owned then was an old bolt action single shot .22.

At about 2-3am I heard the "tight" entry door being opened. I yelled I was there and the door cracked opened and a hand entered to search for the light switch. I could see a figure at the door because of the hallway light. The rifle was loaded and about 3 ft. away. I said "I have a gun and to leave". Then yelled... "Stop". Nope, the dumb*** hit the light switch and continued to push the door open and enter with his arm/hand still on the wall. So I fired off a shot. Instant screaming... and running away, down the stairs and out the front door.

I didn't have a phone yet in the apartment so I couldn't call anyone without leaving and using a pay phone. I saw blood and a dropped "club" and closed the door. Couldn't go back to sleep and called local cops a few hours later. Anyway... it was a local street person who the cops knew well. They followed blood trail and later checked with the ONLY local doctor available when he opened. Sure enough they found him there and he'd been shot in the wrist/hand area. The cops said he's "safe" and usually doesn't hurt anyone and was obviously using the apartment before I arrived. They didn't pursue any charges against him or me...?

My question to them was... if he's safe why the hell was he carrying that club? And what the hell does "usually" mean? He must have been totally deaf also. They didn't answer. He was about at time 55-60 y/o, black man and looked about 90! I moved 5 months later and had left all the blood near my door and down the hallway as a warning to others. Hell I didn't sleep well for a month either.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got caught off guard the first time it happened, and they got me for the 30$ I had in my wallet. After that I said "never again".

New Orleans is a dangerous place and after being robbed at gunpoint one time I never went anywhere without my bear mace (in case of vicious dogs if anyone asked) and I generally kept my 1917 trench knife on my belt as well.... It was a few years later another dirtbag tried to rob me but I saw him and his pal coming and they got the full can of the most potent bear spray I could find online straight to their faces, and a couple solid whacks from a size 10 1/2 Carolina steel toe boot for good measure.

One thing I can say about moving to Colorado, it's nice to not feel the need to look over my shoulder all the time when I'm out, but I still keep a can of bear mace handy
Ken, a few years back someone posted they were quitting their job and going to CO (I think) to live with a girlfriend. Was that you? ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea Terry, I try NOT to wind up somewhere I'm not supposed to be. But when I do I either:
A. Act like I own the joint or
B. Talk incoherently to myself while jestering wildly with my hands. It's worked so far.
Definition of "like I own the place"....... confidence. 90% of your confrontations are already won! ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im no cupcake or snowflake. Just got the New Kel tec Bull pup 12ga Pump for the house. It is really a neat "little" weapon. switchable double tube and 1/8" longer than Cal legal. Cant wait to play with it!.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread