What would you do to hunt that site? "The Things We Do For Love"

K

KirkTN

What would you do to hunt that site? "The Things We Do For Love"

My Dad loved metal detecting God rest his soul.

He got me and my brother John into the best hobby in the world back around 76. We lived in rural Oklahoma. The little town was population 275 counting dogs and goats and everything. The place was Indianola OK. Once known as onion city around the turn of the century. Anyhow my Dad had his eye on this place where an old Barber lived. His name was Bob Huddleston. He was in his eighties back then. Now, I'm pretty sure he hadn't cut hair for years but the word was he still had his old barber chair. Anyhow, Dad wanted to hunt his yard, it was a nice old homeplace, perfect ground lay, old sidewalks Huge trees, the big wrap around front porch you get the picture. Well, Dad said, "come on boys get in the truck", he had his old whites 6000 D in hand and so we were more than happy to go with him. What we didn't know was we were about to take one for the team. Dad pulled up out front of Bobs house, Bob was on his porch swing. Dad went through the gate and we watched him talkin and pointing back at us sittin in the truck. Shortly he waved us to come. We did and the torture began, The old Barber said come on this way, we walked around his house and went in the side door. There sat the old Barber chair, Brother John was the first to take the hot seat, While the barber began to cut Brother Johns hair Dad got to talkin about metal detecting an how it was a hobby he and us boys shared together. Bob just smiled with that jolly old wrinkled up but kind face and said, "that sounds like fun", bout that time Brother John yelped, The Barber had burned the back of his neck with them old clippers of his. Dad said, "Oh, he's fine", and just kept on talkin' bout metal detecting. Then came my turn and just a few minutes in I felt a sharp quick pain to the rim of my ear, it didn't bleed but it sure did smart. I looked in the old mirror on the wall there as he had finished and it was worse than a haircut you'd give yourself, looked like you'd run over my head with a dull lawn mower. Short story long by the time The barber was done Dad had talked him in to letting us check his yard, well we went to finding old coins just every other step. Funny how the excitement made us forget all about the bad hair day. We worked his yard till sundown and several days afterward. Wound up finding over a hundred old coins there seemed like a million at the time, the best was a 1914 D wheat penny which I nicked the edge of, Hey, I was just a kid learning. I'd say that old 14 D is where Brother and me really got hooked on detecting and have loved it ever since.

Well I've got a 9 year old son who's getting in to detecting and I've been seeing more and more old yards I'd like to hit and he could use a haircut. ;D ??? :D ;D ::)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: What would you do to hunt that site? "The Things We Do For Love"

Oh my gosh ....I am laughing so hard.....Your dad sounds like mine was ....always had something up his sleeve....

OP
OP
K

KirkTN

Yep,

My Dad was quite a character. I do miss him very very much!!

KirkTN

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

KirkTN said:
Yep,

My Dad was quite a character. I do miss him very very much!!

KirkTN

Mine too...and I miss him every day

OP
OP
K

KirkTN

My Heart Goes Out To Ya Sister

OP
OP
K

KirkTN

there's nothin like losin' your Dad

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500

Great story Kirk, enjoyed it very much. Sorry about losing your dad. Mine died when I was 3.
Tn. Joe

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro

I gotta tell ya,,,, I'm touched. That's a great story. Keep em coming.

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro

I remember that day all to well. Heck it scarred me for life. Now I still find myself giving Barbers the Ol' hairy eyebrow stare when they come at me with a pair of clippers. That hunt was my all time best though. My son I'm sure could tell stories about me and how it's harder to get turned down when asking permission to hunt if you have a kid with you that is trained to start crying on cue. Just kidding, I miss those days and Dad, God Rest his Soul.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread