F5 vs AT Pro

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I mostly hunt using tones for target ID. I like the F5 I'm currently using, but was wondering if anyone here could compare it against the new AT, depth, stability on salt beaches, etc. I like to X the target when pinpointing, does it have fast retune like the Tesoros or the F5, or is it like the Ace machines.. Previuosly owned a Tesoro Golden, not much depth, didn't like the tones freq seperation. Owned a Ace 250 but pinpointing was lousy, poor depth and target accuracy was iffy most times. Thanks

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea ...that ace 2fiddy is not a great detector...

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The At is turning out to be a AWESOME machine. Might be my go to detector very shortly! Making some great deals on them!
Bart

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't put my money on an atpro...

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
The ATpro has had some growing pains for sure. But Garrett is ironing those issues out. The major US machine manufacturers are all tops in customer service.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You think Garret would of iron them out before it went on the market..sound like White's and their vision or v3 or v3i...

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've now tried a third AT Pro and none have cut it on wet sand or in salt water. They also didn't outperform my land machines either, though its true that they cost more and are not waterproof which would be a real advantage where I live where it rarely seems to stop raining.

In air performance between the three AT's varied with one providing a inch more depth than the others. Price is rather high in Britain and the build/design quality that was O.K. in the 150/250 is just not acceptable in a detector at three times the price.

Its got a faster recovery speed than the 250 but I have yet to try the F5 so can't help with that comparison. Unfortunately many forums will not allow comparison reports now. If you want a balanced opinion of the new Garrett you might be best looking as the French or German forums.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT-P can go swimming if I want to. That is the clincher.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dahut said:
Since Garrett sent me a completely new ATP I have had to troubles. It has a fast retune speed and you can swing it fairly fast on dry land and in the water is where it shines. I am having trouble breaking the new habit of looking at the screen to see the numbers as I will scoop it anyway. Tone id is on the money and I like the weight. :coffee2:

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
dahut said:
Since Garrett sent me a completely new ATP I have had to troubles. It has a fast retune speed and you can swing it fairly fast on dry land and in the water is where it shines. I am having trouble breaking the new habit of looking at the screen to see the numbers as I will scoop it anyway. Tone id is on the money and I like the weight. :coffee2:
The skinny I got was this: the company was pressured by the detector buying public to release it before it was ready. It was being tested in Europe, and was working, but wasn't perfected yet. But the outcry reached the ultimatum phase - "Sell it to us or we'll buy something else!"
It was relayed to me that it became a genuine concern, not just a few of the usual whiny folks, crybabying.
You know how them danged detectorists are!

So we've seen this spate of problems with it. The ergonomics and general "plastic-y-ness" of the unit were gonna happen, regardless... that is the New Garrett. I mean, Mr Garrett, how much can a lower shaft cam-lok cost, for goodness sake?!
But the leaking and falsing were development issues, not completely ironed out.

To Garretts credit, they have enough cash and resources to make good on it. They say there is nothing like the last minute to get things done.
So Garrett got the waterproofing problems and microphonic coil faults ironed out right away. I've not heard of anybody that failed to have their faulty detectors replaced outright, as you did, or repaired. Usually there is a token of appreciation thrown in for good measure.

SO all that said, the ability to just leave the sand and walk right out into the water is a cinch - Score! for Garrett.
Here's a 15 khz detector that has iron ID, tone ID, selectable ground balance, fast response, manageable weight, AND is as good on land as it is in the water?! It's a no brainer.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
If you like the F5, you'll love the AT Pro! Deep with stable accurate IDs. Got a 7" dime that IDed correctly in my bad ground, after only 5 hours of use!. The stock DD coil separates great. I'm also getting the 9x12 concentric coil John-Edmonton
recommends. No worries about rain, can go into water to 10', not too heavy.

If you get one made in the last 3 months it shouldn't have any problems. Best wishes, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread