Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I'm asking is, I'm starting to buy silver and I'm new at it. I have also been reading the topics and I get confussed everytime I read them on spot price, junk price and the like as everyone seems to be differant.
Anyway what would you pay for these 40 Barber dimes which I just bought? hopefully you say more than what I paid for them but live and learn.
All comments are welcome good and bad but go easy on me as I said I'm just begining. But hopefully I'll learn by your comments.
Thanks, Charlie
P.S. I'll be honest and tell you later ::)

Attachments

• 101243-b.jpg
    101243-b.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 818

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What Would You Pay For These 40 Barbers?

well I would first look in my blue book to see if any dates were key dates..If there all common I would pay about $50 bucks...Thats how much Id be comfortible buying it allitle below the silver value... Just in case the Silver market dosent go well..By the way its about $65 dollars worth of silver.

PS the price of silver droped by $1 today.. 4%

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

blai745 said:
well I would first look in my blue book to see if any dates were key dates..If there all common I would pay about $50 bucks...Thats how much Id be comfortible buying it allitle below the silver value... Just in case the Silver market dosent go well..By the way its about $65 dollars worth of silver.

PS the price of silver droped by $1 today.. 4%

It is starting back up again, but with that said, I have to agree with you on everything you said. At 23.86 each dime is worth 1.76
melt value or roughly 17 X face. You want to keep an edge because of the fluctuations in silver so I wouldn't have gone higher
that 13 - 14 X face or roughly $1.40 X 40 = $56.00 and that is the top edge. Twelve times face or 1.20 X 40 = $48.00 is my comfort
factor.......

OP
OP
Marchas45

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the responses Blai745 and FreedomUIC. Well I paid a little higher actually HIGHER $74,50 well I guess I will learn and hopefully soon. Thanks again, Charlie

OP
OP
Marchas45

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mackaydon said:
Charlie;
If you learned the value of good research and it cost you only $25, you made a great deal!!
Don.....

That's what I'm trying to do Don and FreedomUIC has me confused again as $1.76 x 40 = $70.40 the silver value. As for melt it would be less Correct? Is that 90% of $23.86 that FreedomUIC is talking about? Charlie

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

if current silver spot price ($1.76) x 40 -- 17 x face is the max i would pay at most ( $1.76 each )

i would start by offering say $1.50 each -- 15 x face for $60 for the 40 of em and go uo to say $68 (17x) -- i would not pay over current spot --for common worn used silver coins ($1.76)

OP
OP
Marchas45

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
if current silver spot price ($1.76) x 40 -- 17 x face is the max i would pay at most ( $1.76 each )

i would start by offering say $1.50 each -- 15 x face for $60 for the 40 of em and go uo to say $68 (17x) -- i would not pay over current spot --for common worn used silver coins ($1.76)

Can you tell me how you come up with the current spot price of $1.76 for each coin if the current spot price of Silver per oz is $23.86 thanks, Charlie
P.S. Remember I'm learning

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

yes try coin flation website

ok if each silver dime (90 % pure silver by overall weight) has so much silver by weight in it *- then all you do is multiply its actual silver weight by the current spot price of a oz silver to get its current "melt value" --- in otherwords --how much is the silver in the dime worth right now if you melted it down --thats known as the "face x price" normalyl so many times its face value -- ithis changes upon the up and down movement of the value of silver -- most dealers pay under the " spot price" when buying , and charge at least spot to spot plus a bit when selling --the differance is their "profiet margin"--- say currently its ($1.76 per silver dime or 17 times the 10 cents face value )--the dealer might pay you say 12 times "face" ($1.20) per coin if buying from you * but he might charge you 17 time face if selling to you ($1.70) -- that 5 times face (50 cent per coin differance-- is his profiet margin -- and smelters fee as well-- to make 90% coin silver into 999 pure "bullion" silver )

coin flation tracks the current melt value of silver coinage -- its actual current melt value --barber coins if not listed would be the same as other dimes "melt value" wize since overall weight and silver % of purity (90%)is the same --but the barbers could fetch a bit more as a "collectible coin " if in good shape or if rare dates or mint marks are involved --

the red book --availble in most libraries is a good ideal to check your coins with --many coin stores sell them too---note -- prices in the red book are buying prices for "normal" people -- most coin dealers buy coins for their metal content for the most part--so unless it is a very rare or special coin do not expect "book type values" from coin shops

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Charlie:
Actually, I come up with $1.73 based on $23.86 market value of silver--but that isn't the point. The silver- only value of the dime is computed by taking the price per oz. ($23.86) and multiplying it by the weight of silver in the coin (0.7234 oz); or $1.73--a fraction over 10X the coin's face value.
Don....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

For simplicity, many buyers and sellers deal in "times face" (value). Others use different formulas. A local dealer to me computes 10% 'off the top' for the smelter's profit then 10% off the residual for his profit; the resultant figure is his 'buy' figure. If we agreed that each dime has $1.76 in silver, my dealer would take 10% off for the smelter leaving $ 1.58; then take 10% off that figure (for his profit), leaving $1.42 per coin as his buy price. If he were to offer on your collection (and assuming they are all 'generic' coins), he'd offer $56.80 for the lot. With quantity, he's open to cutting his 10% to some other negotiable figure.
Don....

OP
OP
Marchas45

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you Don and Ivan you have really helped me out. I checked the website Ivan and now it's all clear to me and thanks again Don for your input it's helped a lot. Charlie

P.S. Looking on EB those people are really paying over the silver market price, :icon_scratch:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Marchas45 said:
Thank you Don and Ivan you have really helped me out. I checked the website Ivan and now it's all clear to me and thanks again Don for your input it's helped a lot. Charlie

P.S. Looking on EB those people are really paying over the silver market price, :icon_scratch:

There is a smarter bunch around here, including you for asking questions and learning!

OP
OP
Marchas45

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bum Luck said:
Marchas45 said:

There is a smarter bunch around here, including you for asking questions and learning!

:laughing9: :laughing9: Makes me feel good. Thanks Bum Luck

OP
OP
Marchas45

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well teachers how did I do this time? don't over do it I 'm thinned skinned. :laughing9:
Anyway 12oz of Sterling $240.67 gross value. Troy oz's 10.116540 but I paid 10% below gross, $215.00 and free shipping. I would have liked to get 20% below but it's tough out there with everyone going crazy for silver. Charlie

Attachments

• 10538302241287618178.jpg
    10538302241287618178.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 683

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Marchas45 said:

Ebay is kinda a lose-lose now...Becuase People are paying spot or more for your silver...BUT For sellers 10% of your auction goes to ebay for fees..and then a extra 2% of whats leftover goes to paypal...Plus theres all of those money restraints paypal does..Like only alow you to put a $500 limit to your bank acount!! Its Your Money why cant you do w/e you want to do with it???

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Marchas45 said:
Well teachers how did I do this time? don't over do it I 'm thinned skinned. :laughing9:
Anyway 12oz of Sterling $240.67 gross value. Troy oz's 10.116540 but I paid 10% below gross, $215.00 and free shipping. I would have liked to get 20% below but it's tough out there with everyone going crazy for silver. Charlie

The two that say slumber party on them might not be sterling but regular silver. I would look closer at them as they would fetch more
than sterling. You need to talk with Cyberdan who hangs out in the "Garage Sale" section of this site. He is an absolute wealth of
knowledge.....

OP
OP
Marchas45

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FreedomUIC said:
Marchas45 said:

The two that say slumber party on them might not be sterling but regular silver. I would look closer at them as they would fetch more
than sterling. You need to talk with Cyberdan who hangs out in the "Garage Sale" section of this site. He is an absolute wealth of
knowledge.....

Hi! Freedom UIC you where right there where lots of 925 silver and very few Sterling peices so I'm pretty happy with the buy. Thanks again Charlie

OP
OP
Marchas45

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just received another lot of silver which I paid 20% below spot price. 162.3 grams for $92.00. You folks are teaching me a lot. Thanks again. I just hope the price keeps going up :laughing9:

Attachments

• silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 578

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sterling is 925 and vice versa --- the word "sterling" means its 92.5% (pure) silver by weight --- using the parts per 1000 scale commonly used 92.5% is equaL TO 925 PARTS PER 1000 PARTS -- THEY MEAN THE EXACTLY THE SAME THING . -- :wink: :icon_thumright: ;D

if one gets a batch of sterling or 925 marked silver -- it is by weight is 7.4 percent less than pure 999 silver -- so 7.4% of the overall gross weight must be deducted to get the "true" net weight of "pure 999 silver" * content

90% US silver coins are by weight 9% short of 999 pure --and also need adjustment to find pure 999 value

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread