What Would You Pay For These 40 Barbers? UPDATED

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marchas45 said:
Well I just received another lot of silver which I paid 20% below spot price. 162.3 grams for $92.00. You folks are teaching me a lot. Thanks again. I just hope the price keeps going up :laughing9:
I hope your buying this silver for investment puroses and not trying toresell it .. Becuase you'll prbobly be only making $5-$7 dollars with that lot, If your lucky that is..Becuase the same way you paid for it 20% under spot, it will be the case when you resell it... Ive been collecting about 650 grams of the same sterling and if I were to sell it.. I would get around 84%-86% of current spot.

Of course I only paid 70% of spot at the time.. So that jump in silver is just a bonus for me :hello2:

OP
OP
Marchas45

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blai745 said:
Marchas45 said:
Well I just received another lot of silver which I paid 20% below spot price. 162.3 grams for $92.00. You folks are teaching me a lot. Thanks again. I just hope the price keeps going up :laughing9:
I hope your buying this silver for investment puroses and not trying toresell it .. Becuase you'll prbobly be only making $5-$7 dollars with that lot, If your lucky that is..Becuase the same way you paid for it 20% under spot, it will be the case when you resell it... Ive been collecting about 650 grams of the same sterling and if I were to sell it.. I would get around 84%-86% of current spot.

Of course I only paid 70% of spot at the time.. So that jump in silver is just a bonus for me :hello2:

For investment of course hoping the price goes up. I thought refinery charges was 10% and I was making 10% for myself. ??? I'm just learning. Thanks :icon_thumleft:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
If you were to sell those Barbers individually on Epay, you would probably do alot better than selling as junk silver. I'm surprised at what people pay there. I've been buying junk silver coin and numismatic coin there for a couple years, good luck getting anything at melt!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
If you were to sell those Barbers individually on Epay, you would probably do alot better than selling as junk silver. I'm surprised at what people pay there. I've been buying junk silver coin and numismatic coin there for a couple years, good luck getting anything at melt!

I just picked up 14 Morgan dollars for 21.00 a piece yesterday. With todays bump in price, they are under melt, hell most of my Morgan collection that isn't slabbed is under melt now... ???

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreedomUIC said:
fistfulladirt said:

I just picked up 14 Morgan dollars for 21.00 a piece yesterday. With todays bump in price, they are under melt, hell most of my Morgan collection that isn't slabbed is under melt now... ???
man if only I can turn back time 2 years ago and buy does 100 morgan lots on ebay...when morgans were worth just $12 bucks each, I would also get lottery numbers too

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
FreedomUIC said:
fistfulladirt said:

Were there any other bidders?

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
FreedomUIC said:
fistfulladirt said:

Were there any other bidders?

Didn't buy on EBay.......

OP
OP
Marchas45

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I've been buying a lot of silver on ebay lately and I sold some high end coins a month ago and my epay fees where well over $300.00 by quite a bit. I just found this site last Thursday and now I'm getting money back from epay.
I go through this site and click on the epay link and then bid and if I win I get 54% of the Sellers fees that epay charges the seller and it's all free. I wish I had done this a month ago while I've been buying silver, I probably would have my fees back by now :(
Check out the link it's gonna save you money when you buy on line at any of the big stores especially epay. Again it's free. http://home.bigcrumbs.com/marchas45 Charlie

P.S. I've been buying Canadian half dollars pretty cheap also and their 80% silver :icon_thumright:

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when I was looking into selling all my silver coins, I did quite a bit of research... Seems that from what I read, coins of partial silver content are not worth as much for investing as .999 silver bars or rounds.. I inquired as to why, and the refiner said it was due to how difficult it is to extract the silver by just anyone... So if the economy really crashes, will silver content coins really be worth a lot?
Seems that most of my barbers, walkers, etc., all brought a premium over spot just due to their historical value.. My pre-64 coins brought slightly higher than spot.. But I dont think many silver buyers (regular folks) are aware of the "extraction" caveat...

So I am now going to buy nothing but .999 silver from now on... In a crash, the pure stuff ought to fetch a lot more than say 90% stuff would??

What say the rest of you "pros"?

OP
OP
Marchas45

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Surfer said:
Back when I was looking into selling all my silver coins, I did quite a bit of research... Seems that from what I read, coins of partial silver content are not worth as much for investing as .999 silver bars or rounds.. I inquired as to why, and the refiner said it was due to how difficult it is to extract the silver by just anyone... So if the economy really crashes, will silver content coins really be worth a lot?
Seems that most of my barbers, walkers, etc., all brought a premium over spot just due to their historical value.. My pre-64 coins brought slightly higher than spot.. But I dont think many silver buyers (regular folks) are aware of the "extraction" caveat...

So I am now going to buy nothing but .999 silver from now on... In a crash, the pure stuff ought to fetch a lot more than say 90% stuff would??

:laughing9: I started doing that three weeks ago as I found out the same thing.
Ive actually been selling my 80-90% coins and buying silver scrap (Sterling and .925) I am also holding all my .999 stuff (coins and bars). Coins are easier to handle but are they worth it? :icon_scratch: Boy is this gonna start a controversy :laughing9:

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also am NOT going to be buying 100 oz bars.... Why? I am looking to have something to buy/barter with that I dont have to carve up. You would have to "sell" the whole thing, which defeats my purpose for even stockpiling the silver...
Rounds or bars of 1oz each is what I will be buying, and only .999 pure stuff..

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never been interested in the bars - boring. I love the coins and even tho I collect, it's not for investment or a SHTF scenario - I just love the coins, and have no plans on selling.

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Surfer said:

heres the thing.. you say that when theres an economic doomsday partial or 90% silver coins will be worth alot less than silver bullion, becuase of the extraction process is difficult and costly.... well if there was a economic doomsday apocalypse why would anyone need to extract the silver out of silver coins??? are they going to use it for photography purposes, for electronics...or becuase the rise of industry uses.. I think not. Silver coins are going to be used as money, just like silver bullion bars..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread