Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the years and the conditions really. More detail would be great

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
2 Cents a piece. If you plan to flip them fast. If you plan to save them, 3-4 cents would be fine. Offer them $15 for all 750. Thats double Face value. Then negotiate nothing over $25. Thats what I would do. I always have luck with wheaties. I can pay up to a nickel per penny and still sell them on Craigslist and make a buck (in bulk).

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya don't spend too much on them. They aren't worth nearly what I thought they were. I was offered 2 cents from a coin shop for a wheat that was in great condition. Then again since when do coin shops make good offers

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
I am a well known customer at my local coin store and the owner will trade with me spot for spot.I trade him war nicks from coin roll hunting for morgans.spot for spot.The owner is an awesome dude.

Nicholas

Jul 15, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher f-2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the ebay near my house gives you a penny for each.

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickel Searcher 219 said:
I am a well known customer at my local coin store and the owner will trade with me spot for spot.I trade him war nicks from coin roll hunting for morgans.spot for spot.The owner is an awesome dude.

Wow that's pretty nice. Unlike most of the coin shops around here

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
Yeah i have been going there since I was 7 and now I am 17.He is a real nice guy and he hasnt ever low balled me or anyone i have seen him deal with.A woman came in with like 6 oz. In a mason jar wanting face value.and he paid her like 75-80% of spot.Her eyes lit up like a christmas tree.He is having heart problems now that he is 70+ years old.But his son works there too.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He sounds like a real good guy. Deal with coin shops, not pawn shops!

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverForBrains said:
He sounds like a real good guy. Deal with coin shops, not pawn shops!

Ya plus I'm sure the fact that its a family business has something to do with it. The coin shop I've been going to is a 'chain' shop. I think its family owned somewhere way up there but they have maybe 10 locations. Its all about money there

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
^^That is bad news.My local coin store owner didnt believe me when I told him I found 15 war nicks in circulation.He was like"theft is not good"But come round back around 11:30 and knock on the door 6 times.lol I am pretty sure he was kidding.I hope.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
750 wheat pennies. Unknown condition. Not sure what I should give for it.

I would pay up to 3 cents each just to search for key/semi-key dates. At no more than 3 cents each, you should be able to at least get your money back if you wanted to.

OP
OP
S

Saltman241

Greenie
Jul 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was an estate sale auction. Came from a collection so while I couldn't inspect I was pretty confident there was no key dates. I took it to 25.00 which was already too high in my opinion and the winner go it for $37.50. Thanks for all the help. Not real sure what folks were thinking at this one they paid WAY over spot for everything, even though it was all obviously junk silver.

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
2 Cents a piece. If you plan to flip them fast. If you plan to save them, 3-4 cents would be fine. Offer them $15 for all 750. Thats double Face value. Then negotiate nothing over $25. Thats what I would do. I always have luck with wheaties. I can pay up to a nickel per penny and still sell them on Craigslist and make a buck (in bulk).

I agree with Mr. Schulz. Especially assuming they have already been searched.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread