What would you rather have Tiger Shark or Whites Surf PI.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No leaks here... haven't used the other. I know a lil silicone grease is needed on all o-rings and such to help against leaks and helps seat the seal. I just use the one I have had for a while doing pool pumps and filters, hard to get that dry ring to seat correctly with out it.

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
I like my Tiger Shark because of the dual circuitry... I can hunt land with it as well and have some success. I think both are good detectors, which ever one you choose take the time to Learn to use it, that will make the biggest difference. Good Luck and Happy Hunting! :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Whites Beach Hunter ID I bought new, it leaked twice in battery compartment with in the first 6 months. Whites replaced the battery compartment both times, after 2ND time I traded it for a Minelab Sovereign GT. I already had 2 Minelab Excaliburs for hunting in the surf.

One of my hunting partners had a Whites PI, it never leaked, but he sold it and bought an Excalibur, he got tired of digging deep holes to China for bobbypins. Just can't beat the Excalibur nulling of iron on the beach. :icon_thumright:

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
The new White's don't leak!!!

This was a known issue (approximately 2-years ago) addressed from White's with a switch from the faulty batch of "black" gaskets to the newer "orange" improved seals!!!

The orange gasket (DF & Beach Hunter 300) machines DON'T LEAK!!! :thumbsup:

To keep repeating this info without all the facts is just plain irresponsible :BangHead:

Thanks! :wink:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indasurf said:

This was a known issue (approximately 2-years ago) addressed from White's with a switch from the faulty batch of "black" gaskets to the newer "orange" improved seals!!!

To keep repeating this info without all the facts is just plain irresponsible :BangHead:

Excuse me Indasurf, but, those are the facts, and I am not being irresponsible by stating the true facts that it leaked twice on me.

I never said all Whites leak, and I have said many times in other threads that I liked the BHID, and I would buy one again if I found a good deal on one, but that does not change the fact it leaked twice on me.

Whites replaced the battery compartment twice under warranty, they did not give me a new unit and I had to pay the shipping. This was in the March and April of 2007, Whites said nothing to me about it being a known issue.

I know hunters who use the Beach Hunter 300 and do great with it, and I have recommended the BHID in other threads to people looking for a water machine, but couldn't afford an Excal, telling them the BHID is a good water unit.

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Indasurf.

The new Whites BHID300 and the Surf PI don't leak. I have owned Whites Beach Hunters for 3 years and never had this problem. I also owned the Whites Surf PI for 6 months and had no problems with it. I traded it because I was tired of digging so many targets.

I think the leak issue is old news and has been resolved by Whites!

Whites service is 1st class. I have owned other Whites like the MXT and every time I needed anything Whites responded promptly and free of charge. I have a friend that has a Whites XLT (~10 years old) and Whites fixed his unit last year free of charge. Now that is great service! I deal with the Whites factory in Sweet Home OR.

HH!
Moe

OP
OP
47thelement

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well since I already have the ae 250 for the sand and the dry It looks like I'm leaning towards the Whites machine. Sounds like either way I go, I'm going to have to learn how to hunt in the water and learn a new machine.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have 2 white's surf masters. The first one was bought 25 years ago and I have never had a problem with it. I also got the whites surfmaster II I have not had a problem with this you either. When you change batteries make sure you have some gasket oil so you can make sure it is not dry and it will seat ok and will not leak........Matt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Indasurf said:

Excuse me Indasurf, but, those are the facts, and I am not being irresponsible by stating the true facts that it leaked twice on me.

I never said all Whites leak, and I have said many times in other threads that I liked the BHID, and I would buy one again if I found a good deal on one, but that does not change the fact it leaked twice on me.

Whites replaced the battery compartment twice under warranty, they did not give me a new unit and I had to pay the shipping. This was in the March and April of 2007, Whites said nothing to me about it being a known issue.

I know hunters who use the Beach Hunter 300 and do great with it, and I have recommended the BHID in other threads to people looking for a water maching, but couldn't afford an Excal, telling them the BHID is a good water unit.

A lot depends on how well th gasket is taken care of. I know the orange gasket is a larger softer O ring, but many guys aren't as careful and the detectors will leak. I won't use them.

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
Piercesdad said:
Well since I already have the ae 250 for the sand and the dry It looks like I'm leaning towards the Whites machine. Sounds like either way I go, I'm going to have to learn how to hunt in the water and learn a new machine.

Ya can't go wrong with the new Surf PI Dual Field!!! :headbang: A ton of hunters are tearing it up with the DF and getting plenty of old deep gold plus ya can't beat the price! :icon_thumleft: The machine is also waterproof to 100' ;D

Just check around on the forums and you'll see all the positives on it :icon_thumright: With practice, you can learn to hear the different types of sounds and dig less junk (some good books are out on that subject too)!

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Moe (fl) said:
I agree with Indasurf.

The new Whites BHID300 and the Surf PI don't leak. I have owned Whites Beach Hunters for 3 years and never had this problem. I also owned the Whites Surf PI for 6 months and had no problems with it. I traded it because I was tired of digging so many targets.

I think the leak issue is old news and has been resolved by Whites!

Whites service is 1st class. I have owned other Whites like the MXT and every time I needed anything Whites responded promptly and free of charge. I have a friend that has a Whites XLT (~10 years old) and Whites fixed his unit last year free of charge. Now that is great service! I deal with the Whites factory in Sweet Home OR.

HH!
Moe

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :thumbsup:

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Sandman said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Indasurf said:

I know hunters who use the Beach Hunter 300 and do great with it, and I have recommended the BHID in other threads to people looking for a water maching, but couldn't afford an Excal, telling them the BHID is a good water unit.

A lot depends on how well th gasket is taken care of. I know the orange gasket is a larger softer O ring, but many guys aren't as careful and the detectors will leak. I won't use them.

Also, the Beach Hunter 300 and DF use different boxed designs! The Beach Hunter box is never opened exposing the seal. All that's opened is just the battery compartment so there's no access to the seal on it.

On any water detector, when you're finished you rinse off the machine in clean running water. If you need to open them up, any brand (Infinium, CZ, White's, Fisher, Tesoro) you don't do it in the sand at the beach! You clean the box like I said with water, dry it off and then open it to change the batteries! You should always use a little electronic grade silicon (not the stuff for showers and tubs which has acid that can damage the seals) on the gasket and you won't have any issues!!! Also the batteries last a real long time on the White's machines!

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to hear from others who run the tiger shark, because tesoro has a lifetime warranty, which after a few years when you need to send in a machine for a check over and adjustment it can save ya $$$

I have seen the Whites and believe it to be an outstanding machine, I still prefer the excal, but you don't hear a lot about the the tigershark and I would be interested in knowing more myself.

thorny196

Apr 11, 2007
Moyock, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Sand Shark
Tiger Sharks should be back on the market soon! Don't worry too much about Bobbie pins you will make up for it with bottle caps and beer tabs whichever unit you choose!! The most Bobbie pins I've found in one outing is 4 or 5 but nails, sparklers and junk in general will add up!! Even though I have a BHID 300 now I still love the Sand shark it finds everything and you can swing it faster and its really stable in the surf..

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
My first beach hunter was the Tiger Shark (2007), my second one was the Whites DF PI (March 09). I liked the tiger shark, but like everyone else, I wanted to go deeper and find the hidden beach treasures. I have three coils for the Tiger, 10", 8" and adapter converted 4" x 16" Clean Sweep coil. so far with the tiger I have found 13 gold rings, an equal number of silver rings, $200 in change and a lot of junk. this year I have mostly been using the Whites Duel Field PI. It does go deeper and I have found a ton of bobby pins, tent stakes, wire and pennies over 12" deep. Unfortunately, I have not found much gold with the PI. Yesterday, I found my first gold ring in the dry sand with the Whites. It wasn't very deep. I air tested both machines when I got the Whites and could hear a repeatable signal from the Tiger 10" coil on a gold ring at about 8" and from the Whites at about 11". I don't know if I am just not passsing the coil over the good stuff or if it isn't picking up the gold as well as the Tiger. I did have a strange occurrence in the spring with the Whites DF. I got a target and dug up a stainless steel nut at about 8". Rescanned the hole and got another target, dug up a nail at about 18". In the process of digging up the nail, a gold earring rolled out of the pile of dirt. I scanned the earring and got no response, I assumed it was junk. When I got home I noticed it said 14k on the earring loop. So I took the earring outside and scanned it again with the Whites PI. I almost had to touch it to get a response. the Tiger was repeatable at 8". The earring is very thin and faceted, slightly smaller than a dime. I don't know why the Whites will not pick up the thin earring, but will pick up a gold ring deeper than the Tiger. On the down side of the Tiger, I have had to send it back for repairs several times and currently the 10" coil is out of service. Tesoro is great about fixing it, but it still cost me time and money to send it back. The Whites DF PI has not leaked. Neither unit is very stable in the surf with the waves coming over the coil. I am not disappointed with either unit, perhaps because I have not tried any others, but I have now spent more than enough to have bought a Minelab Excalibur in the first place, which based on what I have heard about that machine is what I should have done form the beginning. On the upside of having two units, I can invite my son to join me when he comes for a visit and we will find SOMETHING. Good luck in your choice and happy hunting.

OP
OP
47thelement

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after much debate I decided to get......

The minelab excal II

thanks for all the input and debate. Now I'll probably start pestering everybody about how to use it. Thanks again! You guys and LADIES are great!

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal-2 is a nice machine!

Just sweep very slow or you may miss many targets. It goes deep and has some learning curve. It is very stable in water. Put a tad of silicone grease on the NiMH connectors before use every time to protect from getting corrosion. Enjoy!

HH!
Moe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread