Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many stories do you read where someone metal detecting got robbed? Maybe one a year? Probably not even that many. Let's be serious here. Metal detecting with a gun strapped to your hip is only going to get you grief from people. If I see some guy with a gun doing anything (even metal detecting) near a school, baseball field or a park, I'm calling the cops. Just the way it is right now.

Bottom line, this is not the time to be carrying a gun anywhere in public. Not a commentary, just a statement of fact. Find another way to defend yourself, if you're so afraid of being mugged.

Where the hell did THAT logic come from? With all the children being killed it ought to be a requirement that all teachers are armed. And cops with balls go stop those who invade and then do the nasty upon children. I can't think of a BETTER time to have on the ankle hostler and sidearm FULLY displayed. What the hell...!!!! More gun free zones...???? I know... just delete and I'll go to the proper forum. Sorry.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dogs off leash at the park - anything from ankle biters to Pit mixes - nothing like having a unknown dog come up face level from behind while you're digging a target. Oh, it's out of town, fluffy will have so much fun! I won't get a ticket for off leash. He/she is friendly!

2 Jack Russells off leash, 30 ' from owner, harassing me while I stood , used my coil to back them off while yelling to the owner who didn't come to get them, just called them 3 times. Took out my phone took pics of him and dogs - and in my best pool nite bartenders voice. "Get these dogs or ELSE"

Didn't even say sorry as he grabbed them.

Last edited:

Junkironkid

Mar 23, 2012
MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I am new to this I must ask have any of you had any bad experiences liked being robbed or whatnot? How about close calls with animals? What do u do to protect yourself?
Sig Sauer p-226 9mm loaded with hornaday critical defense hollow points.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed by your username that you evidently own a large dog.
If he is well trained and you feel you need a little security while out hunting, and aren't comfortable or experienced with firearms, then take your dog along.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is that dogs can be wonderful to their owners, but nasty to strangers. They're usually just trying to protect their owners, but it still annoys me.

And here's a free tip for women and the elderly. Don't bet your life on your big dog protecting you. I love animals, but I would quickly dispatch any dog that attacked me with extreme prejudice. And then I'll be in your face for siccing him on me in the first place.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is that dogs can be wonderful to their owners, but nasty to strangers. They're usually just trying to protect their owners, but it still annoys me.

And here's a free tip for women and the elderly. Don't bet your life on your big dog protecting you. I love animals, but I would quickly dispatch any dog that attacked me with extreme prejudice. And then I'll be in your face for siccing him on me in the first place.
This is true, but if it makes someone comfortable and more secure than it's a good thing.
I'm sure a thug would attack a lone man with his back turned long before he would assault someone with a good, well trained dog.
And yes as owner it is your responsibility to maintain complete control of your dog.
I don't take my dog detecting with me. I don't have a need but I would trust him to have my back more than most people.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am thinking out in the bush miles from civilization in gold country> Your thoughts?

Probably one of the quietest peaceful places one could be. Beats any urban park where there is the human element.
25 yrs in the big city, 35 yrs in the rural setting and not had one bad experience in the rural area when it comes to animals or reptiles. Blood sucking insects well I'm date game it seems.
But you'll hear lots saying you have to have heat strapped to the ankle, waist, under arm, calibers if every sort, bullets that cut trees in half.
Yup folks are scared out there, right spooked by fear it self.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back 9yrs or so we bought a home on a island. Neighbor just bought across the road and used it as a hunt camp.
Had his employees down fixing and cleaning up.
A fellow asked me if I was scared being all alone? I said I gave the local skunk a wide path each night about 11pm. Besides that nothing bothered me. Then I asked him if he was?
"Ya man, it freaks me out all this darkness"
I asked him where he lived?
He was from a bad ass hood, and he felt safe there.
Each to their own I guess.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking out in the bush miles from civilization in gold country> Your thoughts?
Your biggest concern will be Mother Nature. Know the poisonous plants, watch out for snakes, just be outdoor prepared. Let somebody know where you're gonna be. Probably you'll be in bear and mountain lion country, so be aware of them. Every bear I've seen has been running away from me, and I haven't seen lions, but I'm sure they've watched me. They tell you about that standing up tall and yelling to scare off panthers, and that may work, but with one of those I would really prefer to have a very large caliber weapon close at hand.

VooDoo710

Jan 25, 2018
North East Ohio, Painesville
Detector(s) used
F44, F5, Bounty Hunter Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a card Holding CCW Member and I carry no matter where I go and what I am doing ! That solves the Problems most times before they start ! LOL

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of a couple people who were mugged for their wallet and their detector, one in Miami, one in Daytona Beach, one ended up in the hospital with a concussion from being hit on the head while resisting, the other was not injured but lost his wallet, jewelry, detector and scoop.

Myself, I have a friend called "The Judge" who travels with me every where I go except in the water.

Last edited:

VooDoo710

Jan 25, 2018
North East Ohio, Painesville
Detector(s) used
F44, F5, Bounty Hunter Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of a couple people who were mugged for the wallet and their detector, one ended up in the hospital with a concussion from being hit on the head. Myself if I am hunting after dark at the beach or any land hunting I have "the "Judge' with me.

No Need for a jury when you have the Judge . . . The way I think on that is better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Just read a few posts here. In this day and age, the factor no one can control is other people. You can control what you do(provided you keep your head).

What can you do:

Be prepared for anything. If it's a dog, bear, person, whatever, play a scenario in your head of what might happen when anything out of the ordinary appears.

Carry. Whether it be a legal firearm, or a digger remember that you can use these as a weapon. I love animals as much as the next person, but if it's me or "Lassie", well, sorry Lassie you lose. If it's a person assaulting me, well they lose too.

Call someone. In a situation that needs it, call the cops! That's what you pay for. Don't be shy about it.

Make sure you document. If someone is starting an issue, make sure you have a witness be it cell video, a picture, a recording or a bystander. Protect yourself.

Just walk away! Someone getting in your face, leave. I was at a shady place last week and there was a 18-19 year old kid just acting strange and on his phone on and off and kept looking at me. It was getting dark so I split.

What you can't do:

Make up stuff. That will always backfire.

Attack someone. A heated argument can escalate quickly keep your head and don't swing first.

Trespass. Know where you are and your limits. Last thing you want is some cop giving you a hassle because you thought you could be somewhere where you shouldn't be.

good luck and remember, every decision you make you are accountable for, even if you may think you are not.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just read a few posts here. In this day and age, the factor no one can control is other people. You can control what you do(provided you keep your head).

What can you do:

Be prepared for anything. If it's a dog, bear, person, whatever, play a scenario in your head of what might happen when anything out of the ordinary appears.

Carry. Whether it be a legal firearm, or a digger remember that you can use these as a weapon. I love animals as much as the next person, but if it's me or "Lassie", well, sorry Lassie you lose. If it's a person assaulting me, well they lose too.

Call someone. In a situation that needs it, call the cops! That's what you pay for. Don't be shy about it.

Make sure you document. If someone is starting an issue, make sure you have a witness be it cell video, a picture, a recording or a bystander. Protect yourself.

Just walk away! Someone getting in your face, leave. I was at a shady place last week and there was a 18-19 year old kid just acting strange and on his phone on and off and kept looking at me. It was getting dark so I split.

What you can't do:

Make up stuff. That will always backfire.

Attack someone. A heated argument can escalate quickly keep your head and don't swing first.

Trespass. Know where you are and your limits. Last thing you want is some cop giving you a hassle because you thought you could be somewhere where you shouldn't be.

good luck and remember, every decision you make you are accountable for, even if you may think you are not.

I'm not "shy".... But in an emergency I won't be wasting time calling the cops. Out here I have to deal with it because the cops would be "late". I really don't care for their opinion either on "my" emergency.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i don't have a phone i usually carry a knife (i'm not old enough to conceal carry yet) and i take MMA

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know of a couple people who were mugged for their wallet and their detector, one in Miami, one in Daytona Beach, one ended up in the hospital with a concussion from being hit on the head while resisting, the other was not injured but lost his wallet, jewelry, detector and scoop.

Myself, I have a friend called "The Judge" who travels with me every where I go except in the water.

So you must feel so safe 24/7 even in the water detecting. So you are vulnerable going in and out of the water with your gear then, how do feel, are you scared not having the Judge?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you must feel so safe 24/7 even in the water detecting. So you are vulnerable going in and out of the water with your gear then, how do feel, are you scared not having the Judge?

First off I am not scared period, I carry for my personal protection as is my right.

If the water is rough and I know I am not going in deeper than maybe knee deep then I carry, if I decide I am going to hunt in the water and hunt deeper than knee deep I do not carry my piece in the water, I leave it in my car and I carry my knife. When I hunt beaches at night I always carry 100% of the time, when I hunt land I also always carry. I carry 99.5 percent of the time 24/7, 365 days a year, the only time I am not carrying is when it violates the law as it can jeopardize my CCW license. You can't carry in government buildings, police stations, schools, banks and straight up bars in Florida, but I do carry in all other locations like the malls, theaters, stores, gas stations, grocery stores, church, parks, basically anywhere else I am at.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
people Instantly and thoroughly triggered by guns on this thread... :laughing7:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

.410 #4 shot for the snakes and .45LC for the two-legged snakes. Uh-huh...there it is.:headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread